Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times

Advertisements

at least you tried,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
You can or cannot take anyone to the range, that is your choice, but why would you want to spout off that you wouldn't, you just wanted to see your name on here, you have nothing constructive to the thread.
No one is forcing you to do anything, but, there was no reason for you to come on the thread and say you wouldn't do it.

You are a example of why at times we are our own worse enemies. Someone proposes something positive,and someone like you has to poison it.
I already told you the reason why I don't: because these days people sue others aver anything, and I can't afford a lawsuit from some loony who does not want anything to do with guns, specially one who is not asking me to take him (or her) to the shooting range. And no, I am not trying anything on this thread other than to respond to your post below:
Quote:
each one to take 2 anti gunners to the range and let them share in our hobby. I know we all have different interests in shooting, some hunt, some shoot trap, some shoot pistols, some do a little of everything.
Lets make them eat their words.
This is a public forum, and you posted a challenge to all, and I responded accordingly. And don't ignore the fact that I was not the only person in this forum responding with answers other than what you want us to do.

And you are a clear example of a close-minded person who does not like to hear any opposing views. How then are you going to bring "antis" to your side if they have different opinions about guns than you do? Are you just going to shut them down and as you said, let the eat their words? I clearly stated my reasons for not taking any anti that's not related to me to a shooting range. That's not being negative nor poisonous, just having a different point of view. Instead of being so sensitive about it, why don't you just have a dialog with those who don't want to do what you have asked of them?

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-03-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 02:14 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I've got a better idea, if we each take two anti-gunner to the range, they can hold our targets, and... well...
This is the kind of crazy obsession that I have heard from so many "gun nuts", they seem to be in love with the idea of being able to kill, kill, kill, kill, kill,kill. That's my experience with at least a dozen men that I worked with who called themselves gun enthusiasts. Not one of them hunted and often would talk about which weapon (their choice of word) was best for "self protection".

Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady Campaign reports.

Far too many mentally unstable people have guns and use them on themselves as well as others. It should be much tougher to purchase a gun and it should include a serious psychological evaluation to try and determine if the individual is likely to turn the gun on themselves or others. I accept the fact that in this country guns are just a part of life but I'd like to see much tighter control of them and of ammunition (via very high tax).

In case you're wondering - no, I have never known anyone who committed suicide via a gun or any other means for that matter. I did however live for 30 years in a city that averaged one homicide every three days but never once did I encounter a situation where a gun would have been useful. Never assaulted, never robbed, never burglarized, etc. and I lived in some rather margin neighborhoods, working second shift for many years which meant that I was out and about after midnight. So I think the need of a gun for personal protection is grossly exaggerated by most people who imagine that they need them.

Who knows, maybe my dislike of guns is mostly due to the noise - having listened to rivet guns and Huck guns going all day or night long at work.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
This is the kind of crazy obsession that I have heard from so many "gun nuts", they seem to be in love with the idea of being able to kill, kill, kill, kill, kill,kill. That's my experience with at least a dozen men that I worked with who called themselves gun enthusiasts. Not one of them hunted and often would talk about which weapon (their choice of word) was best for "self protection"........
Hmmm, you bring up a good point. How we shoot may give an undesirable impression to those we are trying to impress.

I, for example, only shoot Silhouettes. Perhaps I do not need to justify to anyone, but for the moment, for here, as a law enforcement researcher, it's what I do, it's what I am. Every aspect of my shooting can reflect that, from my logging each shot to pistol shooting with different hand holds, to shooting with my shoulder holster on, to shooting my rifle with the sling wrapped around my supporting arm.

If I were to take someone I am trying to bring into the world of marksmanship, it may not be enough to "hide" what I am just by switching from the Silhouette to the standard bulls eye. I may have to do much, much more to disguise that.........and that may be something that is outside my ability to do.

On the other hand, though, for the kind of shooting I am doing, if the range told me that when I shoot, people look through the windows and pay attention, I would not be surprised. There is a degree of pride to one's prowess and professionalism. I have had people ask me when I shoot if I was coming up for qualifications.

So, this and that. To the non gun world, one might be viewed as a "gun nut" if their shooting seems to be only directed against people, but if you are controlled and professional about it, you may be seen as something else.

Quote:
........Far too many mentally unstable people have guns and use them on themselves as well as others. It should be much tougher to purchase a gun and it should include a serious psychological evaluation to try and determine if the individual is likely to turn the gun on themselves or others. I accept the fact that in this country guns are just a part of life but I'd like to see much tighter control of them and of ammunition (via very high tax).......
As far as being restricted because someone, some people fear of what I might do with my skills, my equipment, my knowledge, I'm glad there is still a lot of freedom in this country against that.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-04-2014 at 03:23 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
No I am not an anti-gun but I came from places where gun is prohibited for common people. I will be moving to Phoenix next year and this is the first time for me to be in a place where gun is part of the culture. Coming from Asia, I think it will be one of the biggest culture shocks for me.

So I'm thinking of going to the range and give shooting a try. Hoping to hang out with experts here OP seem from Phoenix!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
This is the kind of crazy obsession that I have heard from so many "gun nuts", they seem to be in love with the idea of being able to kill, kill, kill, kill, kill,kill. That's my experience with at least a dozen men that I worked with who called themselves gun enthusiasts. Not one of them hunted and often would talk about which weapon (their choice of word) was best for "self protection".

Every day in the U.S., an average of 289 people are shot. Eighty-six of them die: 30 are murdered, 53 kill themselves, two die accidentally, and one is shot in a police intervention, the Brady Campaign reports.

Far too many mentally unstable people have guns and use them on themselves as well as others. It should be much tougher to purchase a gun and it should include a serious psychological evaluation to try and determine if the individual is likely to turn the gun on themselves or others. I accept the fact that in this country guns are just a part of life but I'd like to see much tighter control of them and of ammunition (via very high tax).

In case you're wondering - no, I have never known anyone who committed suicide via a gun or any other means for that matter. I did however live for 30 years in a city that averaged one homicide every three days but never once did I encounter a situation where a gun would have been useful. Never assaulted, never robbed, never burglarized, etc. and I lived in some rather margin neighborhoods, working second shift for many years which meant that I was out and about after midnight. So I think the need of a gun for personal protection is grossly exaggerated by most people who imagine that they need them.

Who knows, maybe my dislike of guns is mostly due to the noise - having listened to rivet guns and Huck guns going all day or night long at work.
There is an even bigger problem with deaths from vehicles. Road rage accounts for vastly more deaths than guns. Shouldn't we have an extensive psychological testing prior to obtaining a drivers license?

Old 11-04-2014, 06:22 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
each one to take 2 anti gunners to the range and let them share in our hobby. I know we all have different interests in shooting, some hunt, some shoot trap, some shoot pistols, some do a little of everything.
Lets make them eat their words.

I don't go to ranges. Haven't been to one in 25 years.

Any other suggestions? IF I invite someone to shoot it is at my house which is more involved than meeting someone at an establishment. I also know few antis.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
More than likely that's just talk (the "kill" stuff). In reality law-abiding people, specially those who can't risk losing their jobs and going to prison, your coworkers for example, are not going to kill anybody. Depending on where your live (neighborhood, inner city, and so forth) some people feel safer by having guns, knives, and so on, for self protection.

Quote:
A lot more people than that die each day on the roads (over 41,000 people per year).

Quote:
While I do agree that a mentally unstable person should not be able to buy guns, laws aren't going to stop these people from buying guns, knives, nor other weapons. The gun laws apply only to law-abiding gun owners; criminals aren't going to follow any gun law, and tax on guns and ammo is only going to help governments, not the people, nor will the taxes stop us from killing each other. If we don't have guns we still kill each other with knives, with poisons, our own hands, etc.

Quote:
All it means is that you have been one of the very few ones who haven't experienced such crimes (being mugged, your house burglarized, and so on), but if you look at the crime statistics for your city, you will find plenty of crimes being committed each day.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
Rayinak,
I issued a challenge, You could be positive, but instead you choose to be negative, that is your choice, but what are you hoping to accomplish by posting your personal decision on here ? No one is forcing you to do anything, you can do it or not, no one cares, but there was no reason for you to post on here other than to see your words on the screen. You added nothing to the thread other than upping your post count.

I do enjoy taking people to the range, I have a number of historic arms and I like seeing the look on their faces when they shoot a Krag or Trapdoor for the first time, or a muzzle loader. That offsets any negative you can post.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Rayinak,
I issued a challenge, You could be positive, but instead you choose to be negative, that is your choice, but what are you hoping to accomplish by posting your personal decision on here ? No one is forcing you to do anything, you can do it or not, no one cares, but there was no reason for you to post on here other than to see your words on the screen. You added nothing to the thread other than upping your post count.

I do enjoy taking people to the range, I have a number of historic arms and I like seeing the look on their faces when they shoot a Krag or Trapdoor for the first time, or a muzzle loader. That offsets any negative you can post.
You can't tell people not to post. This is an open forum and as long as people stay within the TOS, they're going to post. Positive, or negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting