Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why do you hate capitalism?
I don't hate capitalism.....

There's a sucker born every minute......

If someone's fool enough to pay $80 or more for a brick that should only cost $25, then by all means, go ahead and take advantage of his stupidity, more power to ya......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Unfortunately for your position, the Republican victories last week will make the "black market" price for .22LR plummet. The paranoia of "Obummer's commin' fer mah gunz!!" is waning.
I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again for the purposes of this thread......

I don't think the fear and paranoia buying has been driven by the threat of political action for a long time now.....

Instead of politicians, now the fear is of our fellow gun owners.....

"got to buy everything I can find before someone else comes in and buys it all up"

Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I don't hate capitalism.....

There's a sucker born every minute......

If someone's fool enough to pay $80 or more for a brick that should only cost $25, then by all means, go ahead and take advantage of his stupidity, more power to ya......
The only problem with this is that .22 ammo is seldom available for that $25 price.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:37 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:

Instead of politicians, now the fear is of our fellow gun owners.....

"got to buy everything I can find before someone else comes in and buys it all up"

^^ agreed.

And unfortunately I at times fall victim to the above mentality. Never 'hoarded' in my 2 years shooting, only bought from legit stores/sites, and never re-sell. Mainly try to make sure i have something on the shelf for my regular range visits as for me shooting my .22's is a sport and a hobby that i enjoy and want to continue participating in. Right now, i'd be covered for maybe 4-6 months tops. So i dont go looking for ammo, but if i'm already on a site or in a store and something (and only that i like to use) is available then yes i'll pick it up as I can easily go thru 2-300 rounds in a fun-filled range visit.
If ammo was always available, then i wouldn't even think about it, but in the back of my mind (as there have been months i wasnt able to get what i wanted) there's a little voice in my head telling me to grab that box for later.

I only hope, regardless of why it's happening and who's in office, and even if retails remain what they have become...... that at some point .22 ammo is no different then coffee or soap. Available when it's wanted.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
The only problem with this is that .22 ammo is seldom available for that $25 price.
Right..... because opportunists, or as you call them, "capitalists', and hoarders have kept the market dry.

Pretty sweet deal for someone when they can capitalize on poor market conditions that they themselves created.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 11-21-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Is that a regular "I can go to the store right now and buy multiple boxes at that price" or is it "on occasion a store might have it at that price and you are limited to one box"?

I ask because that is about 1/3 of the current normal price around the country.
I needed ammo, walked in and grabbed a brick, paid for it and walked out. Didn't see any signs about limits. I have no reason to buy more than a brick, one is enough. Last time I needed ammo, all they had was the milk carton type container of Winchester, HP, 555 rounds and IIT was $25. That was last year and they did have a limit if one carton, per visit, at that time.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Right..... because opportunists, or as you call them, "capitalists', and hoarders have kept the market dry.

Pretty sweet deal for someone when they can capitalize on poor market conditions that they themselves created.
If that is indeed the case, why aren't these same people creating "poor market conditions" and making bank by re-selling, say, shotgun shells? Or .30-30 ammo?

Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I needed ammo, walked in and grabbed a brick, paid for it and walked out. Didn't see any signs about limits. I have no reason to buy more than a brick, one is enough. Last time I needed ammo, all they had was the milk carton type container of Winchester, HP, 555 rounds and IIT was $25. That was last year and they did have a limit if one carton, per visit, at that time.
You do understand that you're in a location where these sorts of things are severely muted, right? The entire state of Wyoming has fewer people than reside in my ZIP code (probably a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea).

I'm not knocking Wyoming - I want to retire there, and if it were in the central time zone, I'd be making Sheridan my home next year. But it is what it is - you have so few people competing for the same products that the demand isn't the same as it is in a big city. THAT is why you're seeing "normal" prices for ammo while most of the rest of the country is seeing "inflated" prices, which aren't actually inflated if they're the going rate - it's actually "normal," for that location.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:38 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Plenty of 22lr around here .

Old 11-22-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
If that is indeed the case, why aren't these same people creating "poor market conditions" and making bank by re-selling, say, shotgun shells? Or .30-30 ammo?
If I had to guess, i'd say it's because .22 is cheap, it's available practically anywhere, it's easy to store a lot of rounds in a smaller space, and it's versitile, as it can be shot in a number of different firearms and has numerous applications. Therefore I'd say that's why it has the highest demand in one of these panic periods. Always the first to go, and the last to come back. It's a round that has a lot more going for it than other rounds, such as the 30-30 you mentioned.

You aren't honestly implying that this shortage is just a natural fluctuation brought on by normal conditions are you? LOL, if that's the case then why did it just happen to come about after one of the biggest pushes for firearms regulation in recent history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting