Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 02:18 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times

Advertisements

If you are planning on carrying a handgun in a purse (except a holster purse), there are suggested good practices:

1). Use a pocket holster like the one shown in the picture below. The trigger is protected until it is drawn (the holster is designed to snag when drawn). One may accidentally pull the trigger without it. Also, the pocket holster helps keeping the handgun's orientation in the purse.

2). Use a designated purse compartment just for the gun. When the hand is reaching out to the compartment, there would be only one reason; the gun is always kept in the compartment, there would be no need to search through the purse for the gun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 02:45 PM

219 posts, read 299,766 times
What kind of garbage gun is that? A Lorcin? Purse carry is a terrible idea only next to not carrying at all. You get separated from the purse (easy), and you are defenseless.

Carry on your body. Any other method and you are just kidding yourself. Same to the people that won't carry with one in the chamber because they think they will have time to draw and rack the slide like some Israeli commando.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:09 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
What kind of garbage gun is that? A Lorcin? Purse carry is a terrible idea only next to not carrying at all. You get separated from the purse (easy), and you are defenseless.

Carry on your body. Any other method and you are just kidding yourself. Same to the people that won't carry with one in the chamber because they think they will have time to draw and rack the slide like some Israeli commando.
That is a palm size pistol called Seecamp. There are some good reviews for the gun. A woman actually
spends more time with her purse than anything else.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post

As someone else already pointed out, your gun ID abilities are pretty lousy.......

Rather than blast someone about how they carry, wouldn't it be better to explain the issues to them, and then let THEM decide?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
txjl123, the primary reason for concern about purse carry is because the purse can easily be snatched/stolen, leaving the gun in someone's else's possession, AND disarming the carrier at the very moment they're likely to need it. Waistband holsters, thigh holsters, etc. - there ARE other ways to carry on your body, where the gun is less likely to be taken by someone.

They make a holster that clips to the bra, in front. While it looks cool as blazes to some, there HAS already been someone that shot themself (fatally) while drawing. To be sure - had their booger hook not been on the trigger, nothing would have happened - but personally, it would seen like a lot of extra weight to carry there, and in the summer months, that's going to be a channel for sweat - NOT good on a gun finish.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:12 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
There are pros and cons to all methods of carry. It's still up to the individual's assessment of his necessary circumstances which he or she can or can't do.

Pickpockets these days are as adept as Penn and Teller...I wouldn't guarantee that even strong-side holsters are utterly impervious.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:32 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
As long as I've been carrying I never carried in my purse, for reasons already noted here. I carry on my person and dress around it. I would not recommend having a gun in your purse.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 PM

219 posts, read 299,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
As long as I've been carrying I never carried in my purse, for reasons already noted here. I carry on my person and dress around it. I would not recommend having a gun in your purse.

Good job Amy. Smart lady, and someone taught you well.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
What amylewis said is best.

However, if you insist on purse-carrying, get a dedicated carry purse with a dedicated quick-access gun pocket and reinforced straps. And NEVER set it down and walk off.

Here is a good article discussing the pros, cons, and techniques of purse carry: http://thewellarmedwoman.com/the-concealed-carry-purse

Buying options:
http://www.concealedcarrie.com/
http://www.gungoddess.com/concealed-carry-purses/
https://www.guntotenmamas.com/cgi-bi...&category=WHOO

You can even get them through "big box" stores:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5sh0mmswbv_b
http://www.cabelas.com/category/Conc.../409715280.uts

Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Do they still make Seecamps?

Pricey lil' things they are, but I bought a pretty good clone - a North American Guardian .32ACP:

Don't carry it though - shot maybe 20 rounds through it years ago, and put it in the safe. Carried a few pocket pistols since - KelTec P32, Ruger LCP, and now a Kahr CT380 (all in Desantis Nemesis pocket holsters). Cool weather means carrying a Kahr CW45.

If I were a hipster, I would NOT carry my piece in a man bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting