Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Kentucky !!!!!!!!
Hillbilly state LOL

Oh. In that case she won't have any issues at all getting rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 AM

676 posts, read 937,080 times
Default Ammo

You got it !!! and it is not even stolen LOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Oh. In that case she won't have any issues at all getting rid of it.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Kentucky !!!!!!!!
Hillbilly state LOL
Well in that case just donate it to your church, you can get a receipt and claim full list price on you taxes for a charitable donation. Somebody in the church will buy it.

Put the cash you were going to put in the collection plate back in your pocket. It's like selling the ammo for double the price.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:26 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,355 times
whatever you do, dont give it to the local police, sell it at a gun show or gun shop on consignment

No pawnshops, they will what it for free or lowball you the lowest amount or make up some story it's hazardous and they would be doing you a favor by letting them have it.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
The words "dementia" and "guns" don't sit too well with the police these days. If you involve the police, you could lose it all. Is there a shooting range around where you live? After you inventory what you have, just post a "For Sale" ad on the bulletin board if they have one. Also check online for a local Gun Forum. Here in California we have Calguns and I could sell that ammo in a day. I have a LARGE supply of ammo and this is how I've instructed my son to sell it when I take my dirt nap.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:51 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,704 times
Quote:
It has always been stored in our house. With guns and gun safety now in the spotlight some people freak when you mention those things. How do I go about quietly selling them ? I don't know anyone that shoots anymore. What about a pawn shop or gun store? Don't want to list them anywhere like swap and sell or that sort of thing. If they are worth any money I sure could use it right now but if we are talking nickel and dimes will just call police dept and get rid of. Thank you..
Surely your husband had some gun friends, if so then talk to them about getting rid of the guns and ammo, do not give it away, if you need money, who doesn't, then you should be able to get something for the ammo and do some research to get a decent price for the guns.

Look to see if your husband had any receipts for the guns, pay the dealer who sold them a visit and you will do much better if you sell them one by one rather than all at once.

There must be someone on here who lives near her who could help, I usually am in Florida, right now I am in the Philippines but I would have been happy to help if she was near me.

Come on guys, give her a hand and treat her fair.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
1. Inventory it; quantity, caliber, bullet weight, manufacturer.
2. Take the list to the nearest gun store. As stated, do not go to any pawn shop.
3. If any of it is hand loads instead of factory ammo, you may have a problem selling it to a store. You may have to sell it yourself.
4. Who will get the guns when your husband dies? If any such bequests are in his will, they might want the ammunition.
Gun stores won't buy ammo back, typically. Liability reasons.

Keep it until "the next scare".

Sell it to your husband's friends, for a fair and honest price. Tell them to think of him when they enjoy it on their hunt/at the range/etc.

That said, if you need the money NOW, I'd list it online and sell it now. What caliber and quantity are we talking? That will give a better idea.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 AM

676 posts, read 937,080 times
Default Ammo

I think I will ask a friend/lawn mower man if he has guns and if he would like to have/buy any...Thank you all for the info and advice. It really helped. I haven't even gone through it yet but it is all probably 9mm, 45, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Gun stores won't buy ammo back, typically. Liability reasons.

Keep it until "the next scare".

Sell it to your husband's friends, for a fair and honest price. Tell them to think of him when they enjoy it on their hunt/at the range/etc.

That said, if you need the money NOW, I'd list it online and sell it now. What caliber and quantity are we talking? That will give a better idea.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:06 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,704 times
Quote:
I think I will ask a friend/lawn mower man if he has guns and if he would like to have/buy any...Thank you all for the info and advice. It really helped. I haven't even gone through it yet but it is all probably 9mm, 45, etc.
Good idea.
Also, both are calibers shooters would be happy to have for practice ammo.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:42 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Call your local law enforcement agency. They can best tell you how to get rid of them.You may not get any money but at least you know that a legit person will be taking them off your hands.
Screw that

Give it to someone who will appreciate it. Like another shooter or hunter. Contact your local gun shop or shooting range. They will know of youth shooting and or hunting groups that would appreciate the donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting