Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times

Advertisements

Sell it on Craigslist or a FB forum.

Don't give it to the police, what a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Don't be in a hurry. As another poster said, it doesn't spoil. I've shot ammo fifty years old with no problems.
I have black-powder cartridges from the 1800s/early 1900s that still work just fine. (11mm Mauser/.43 Spanish for my Mauser 71/84 built in 1888.) I don't shoot it often, because the rounds aren't always easy to get, and fairly expensive when I *can* get them.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I think I will ask a friend/lawn mower man if he has guns and if he would like to have/buy any...Thank you all for the info and advice. It really helped. I haven't even gone through it yet but it is all probably 9mm, 45, etc.
I'll do you a favor and let you ship it to me freight collect. It will be in good hands.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
It was because I was moving. Why would I bring ammos around? I wasn't out for a hunting trip. I was not fond of carrying the explosives with me. I felt grim even carrying a lighter. I wanted to build a good relationship with my neighborhood. I didn't want to jam the sewers. I didn't want them landing on the wrong hands. The police department my neighborhood armoury: but it's just me.

Oye vey.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:51 PM

424 posts, read 580,329 times
Your local gun store will more than likely not purchase your ammunition.
First reason: They did not sell it to you
Second reason: They do not know the condition of the ammunition even if it "looks factory"

Depending on your state you can openly sell it, but again there is the problem of getting someone to purchase it. I for one would not purchase ammunition from a private party. Reason I do not know the condition of the ammunition even if it "looks" like factory ammunition. I reload my own ammunition and reuse the original boxes that it came (until they become "unusable"). Now looking at my reloaded ammunition one can not tell the difference between them and factory. The only ammunition I would purchase froma private party is 22 caliber rimfire.
One thing you did not mention is the firearms that go with the ammunition. Depending on which state you live in you can sell the firearms as a private party. If you wish to do that you can advertise online (armlist.com, or you state may have a listing service for your state only). If you sell the firearms on your own, throw in the ammunition for free. If you do not want to sell the firearms yourself your best alternative is put them on consignment at a local firearms dealer. The best way of getting rid of ammunition is contact your local law enforcement and explain the situation. I seriously doubt that they will come to your home and confiscate your firearms. Of course there are states that have some very nasty firearm regulations.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 AM

643 posts, read 471,609 times
I doubt a gun store will buy it, they may but ammo can be tampered with and they usually don't want to take the liability on ammo. I would sell it on Armslist. Set up and account and post it at a good price and it will sell. Send it UPS only USPS would be illegal. Wrap it tight so it does not rattle. Or you can send it to me and I can take it apart and reuse the components. I will pay for shipping.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
People buy and sell ammo on craigslist all the time. The LAST place I'd turn over weapons or ammo would be the local PD. They were gladly taking expensive weapons at gun buy backs for peanuts. Funny how some of the stuff ended up in the police auction. I sense that the expensive stuff got added to someone's private collection on the cheap.

They "claim" all get destroyed but if so then why is so much stuff on the police auction.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:21 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Thumbs down OP is talking about loaded ammo, not UXO

Quote:
. I would sell it on Armslist. Set up and account and post it at a good price and it will sell
Post to Armslist with photos, say "Must take entire lot", you'll have a buyer in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
The best way of getting rid of ammunition is contact your local law enforcement and explain the situation. I seriously doubt that they will come to your home and confiscate your firearms. Of course there are states that have some very nasty firearm regulations.
Volunteering anything to LE is never the best solution to anything -- even absent nasty state laws, the police will likely try to talk "civilians" into voluntarily handing over firearms along with the ammo. And then it disappears into the officers private collection.

OP is talking about loaded ammo, not UXO. Why give valuable property away to the police just because you are unfamiliar with how to sell it? If she had a garage full of welding equipment, would you suggest giving it away?

Old 03-28-2016, 01:50 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I also discourage giving it to the PD. I predict it will come with some hassles and you will not be treated well - generally expect the "20 questions" routine - "where did you get this? what other firearms do you have? do you have any other ammunition?" Expect to fill out useless paperwork. Basically you will be treated like a criminal for daring to defy the private gun club privledges that some officers think they belong to.
Sign them up under the "no good deed will go unpunished" category.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:23 PM

424 posts, read 580,329 times
I don't know what part of the country those of you that think one would have a problem with any of the LEO. We seem to have an excellent rapport with the city police and country sheriff in our neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting