Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times

Advertisements

"I wanted to ask what would be a good choice for her..."
Smith&Wesson J Frame, my wife's favorite....here is a sample:
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...olvers-j-frame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 08:08 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
My sister is considering buying a gun now that she has moved to the city (legal in her area). I wanted to ask what would be a good choice for her, without too much difficulty to maneuver. Please and thank you.
First things first.

Take an Intro to firearms course.

Find a The Well Armed Woman chapter in her area. https://thewellarmedwoman.com/

Join and go spend some time at meetings. Learn and shoot! Learn firearm safety

Let her find a gun that feels right to her. One she can manipulate and handle. Load, rack, etc.

Then buy the gun that SHE wants

This is what MrsM did 4-5 years ago and she hasn't looked back. She is a RSO. She's bought more guns and trained more than I do. (And I train a lot )

Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Melody here has some very good info that is specific to female carriers. She is a licensed NRA instructor. This isn't her most recent stuff but still a lot of good, pertinent info. I think she keeps her facebook account recent but since I'm not on facebook I can't get you the link for that. She goes by her name listed here or Limatunes.
She is very thin and shows good ways for females to carry on their person without showing the gun profile too.

I actually have several different handguns and use various ones at various times.
For a small handgun in my pocket, I love my Remora pocket holster. It will stay put when I draw even in pjs or sweats.

https://www.youtube.com/user/limalife/videos

Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Glock 26

And Advice is spelled with a C. Advise is a verb.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,794,320 times
And advice is a noun. As in "I advise you to get some advice."

Old 01-28-2019, 05:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
My sister is considering buying a gun now that she has moved to the city (legal in her area). I wanted to ask what would be a good choice for her, without too much difficulty to maneuver. Please and thank you.
First off, she should choose the gun that fits her hand the best. Second, she should choose the caliber she can shoot the best. If you have the option, try renting out different guns and have her shoot them and see which ones she likes. Try going for recognizable brands like Glock, Colt, Remington, Smith & Wesson, etc. as they're time tested and shown to be reliable. Plus it's easier to find parts and accessories.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:30 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,269 times
M&P 9C......similar to the Glock 26, better ergonomics and holds 2 more rounds. Would be a good choice IMO.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,063 times
Check out Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. - a great resource for women shooters.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Most everyone here has already said the most important things. Training and forethought specific to purpose. To that end and not knowing your sister I won't recommend any specific piece. My general rule is it's better to have a gun you can shoot well than one of any specific caliber. A 22 you hit well with is far better than a 45 that you can't do the same.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,866,682 times
I'm guessing we're talking pistols and not shotguns or rifles so I will focus my .02 cents on pistols.

Have her go to a store or 2 and handle and learn as many pistols as possible. Find one that feels comfortable and that is simple to operate.

In my opinion find a 9mm self defense striker fired pistol that she likes. Explain to her there are "single stack" and "double stack". Single stacks the bullers are loaded and stored directly on top of each other. The grips also tend to be narrower. Double stacks have the bullets staggered in the magazine so you can carry more and the grip will be thicker. They both have a different feel and purpose. Guns come in (from small to large) subcompact, compact, full size. If it's strictly a home defense gun get whatever she likes best. If she intends to carry it get a compact or subcompact size.

A few guns / gun families to consider are

Single stack
Glock 43
Walther pps
Smith and Wesson shield
Springfield xds

Double stack
Glock 26
Glock 19
Glock 45
CZ p10c
Beretta APX
Sig Sauer p320
FN 509
HK VP9
Smith Wesson M&p 9
Springfield xd9

I say 9mm because it's big enough but not over powering or too intimidating to learn. It is plenty strong enough especially with food ammo selection. I say a striker fired because they are so simple and presictible to use. It's not a coincidence that is what our military and law enforcement have all switched too. They are all very reliable and easy to use and maintain. Pull the trigger and they go bang. No difficult controls to learn.

Get a kydex holster specifically for the gun you choose. That will act as the guns safety by covering the trigger

Last, make sure to practice practice practice and learn the laws. Enroll is self defense training courses. Take instructor led courses. Practice practice practice.

It's a very fun hobby

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 02-04-2019 at 05:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting