Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 01:50 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Regarding competition, they’re on the heavy side but at least a few people around here use the CZ Tactical Sport. It has a really nice trigger right out of the box and is a good shooter. It’s certainly worth trying if you’re getting into that sort of thing, IMO.

Well, up to a point, for target shooting of any sort I know about, a heavier gun is an advantage. Up to a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 02:09 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, up to a point, for target shooting of any sort I know about, a heavier gun is an advantage. Up to a point.
Being heavier is one of the reasons the steel frame pistols dominate in Production division. It's the reason why Sig went to a tungsten infused polymer frame for the 320 X5 Legion.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
We seem to connect OK
Attached Thumbnails
Are You and Your Gun(s) Any Good?-dc7852da-2d47-4028-9250-232f36a4fc25.jpeg  

Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Are you and your guns any good?
Guns are fine. I'm consistently off, down and to the left.

Target with bigger holes is with the M&P 9 Shield, (carry firearm), other is with Mark II standard; both at 25 feet at an indoor range.
Attached Thumbnails
Are You and Your Gun(s) Any Good?-img_1810.jpg   Are You and Your Gun(s) Any Good?-img_1811.jpg  

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-28-2019 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-24-2019, 05:31 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Well, that's not too far off center. Glen Fryxell has some excellent articles on shooting, mostly about cast bullets, on the Los Angeles Silhouette Club website, which seems to be down right now.

But there are targets and graphics out there that connect where, on the clock face, you are shooting, and what mistake you are making ("milking" the trigger, anticipating recoil, etc.)

Old 09-27-2019, 11:58 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
And two important follow-up questions:

1) Compared to what?

And

2) How do you know?

So, let’s have a discussion. Are you and your guns any good?
Well now THAT is a good question.

To me, the best way to figure it out is attending leagues and action shoots. Most towns I've been to have them, either under the radar or above, west of Arkansas anyway. What happens east of St. Louis, dunno and don't care with oppressive BS laws. CA is twice as worthless, a shame considering all the fine rural land out there.

I find league more interesting than shooting holes in paper under controlled circumstances. After awhile that's just dumb. Was going to re-start some league shoots in the fall, when I have my trigger sorted on the HK which could happen early as today.

Stack ranking against peers doesn't go too far to establishing "good" one way or another, but I think you'll be able to tell if you at-least know what you're doing. If there are weak spots, work on them: take training or similar. When most of that is addressed, I think you're good.

Was contemplating Rogers Shooting School in 2020, but along the lines of the above, I'll need more fall and winter practice to see if I'm "good enough" to succeed there, word is it's sink or swim from Day 1 and there are some minimum quals to get in, after all. Graduate from THAT with a piece of paper, it's a fair bet you are "good." I do believe objectively that school is regarded as (at least) "good," I've never heard an ill word about them. I'll leave that question open, though.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times
I've gone to the range for years so I'm familiar with my pistols. Always shooting at targets at 10 yards and getting better each time. Got to a point where it's boring because of consistent hits in the 3 inch area.

I carry my Beretta PX4 9mm and it's reliable and consistent. I just got an EAA Witness full size polymer 10mm and that was very accurate shooting pistol. A bit powerful to carry though but I like it.

I figured that in SD situations it'll be under 10 yards so the closer it is the more accurate my shots will be.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
And two important follow-up questions:

1) Compared to what?

And

2) How do you know?

As shooting enthusiasts, I think most of us have some ideas about what guns are “good” or “the best” as well as a perception about our own level of skill (or lack thereof). We’ve probably all met the range commandos that claim they are amazing shots, and that the Sig 226 is the best, because everyone knows that’s what Navy SEAL’s use. But when it comes time for them to shoot, they struggle getting their pistol ready to shoot, and are missing their target more than hitting it. Or the self proclaimed “expert” who got all of their “experience” playing Call of Duty.

Have you ever read one of the “What’s the best Bear defense gun” or “What’s the best home defense gun” threads, and been left shaking your head in amazement at some of the recommendations? Does the person recommending the Lorcin .380 as the best bear gun have any experience at all with bears, or guns??

As humans, we tend to overestimate our strengths, and underestimate our weaknesses. As an example, I enjoy bird hunting, and consider myself a pretty good shot. However, if I get on a sporting clays course, I would not do nearly as well as my “self assessed bird shooting skill” would otherwise lead me to believe.

So, let’s have a discussion. Are you and your guns any good?
About 4 years ago, I was shooting on a weekly basis and was told by more than one range officer that I shot pretty well. In reality , standing and shooting at paper targets is not all that big of a deal.

To me , those that run three gun have really advanced skills over those of us that just target shoot.

Hunting is a whole other skill set as well.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:15 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Well, when I shot competition silhouette with pistols out to 200 meters, I placed or won pretty consistently.
I did fine in the rifle competition as well, but I prefer hunting, and nothing is better for practical experience than gopher hunting.

They're actually Richardson's ground squirrels. About 8 inches tall, burrowing animals and very quick. Making a good shot on them with a 22 out at 100 yards really brings in your eye for elk, deer or bear.

Prairie dogs need a little heavier round, but a 223 works pretty good out to about 150-200 yards.
It's really good practice to use your hunting rifle on them too since after a few shots on a dog town, they get pretty cagey, so range estimation and accuracy at all ranges are really honed for big game.

I love predator hunting as well for coyote, fox and bobcat. Those can be tricky shots on open ranges unless you really pay attention to details. Open prairie just about always has wind and light bullets like 22-250 are easy to be knocked off target by even a moderate wind at middle ranges of around 200 yards, and really knocked off at 300+.

Still, if you ask if I'm any good, I've taken around 30 elk, several black bear, somewhere around 50 pronghorn antelope, numerous mule deer and whitetail, enough predators to pay for my gas and ammo, and I'm asked by several local ranchers to thin out their gopher and prairie dog populations.

I'm good enough to keep meat on the table with my weapons, so I'd say I'm competent with them.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:08 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times
When it comes to hunting you need a round that's faster than sound. If they heard your firing pin it means you missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting