Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 04:40 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
For the folks interested in knives, do you recall the first blade you ever owned, and perhaps also what you carry for an 'EDC' now? And what are some of the differences, if any between old and new?
First knife was a buck lock back folding knife brass bolster and wood handle. I lost it in the Blanco river. My EDC is the same buck lock back I bought it about six years back. I tried the fancy knives with all the goofy features but the buck classic just can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 07:03 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
First knife was a buck lock back folding knife brass bolster and wood handle. I lost it in the Blanco river. My EDC is the same buck lock back I bought it about six years back. I tried the fancy knives with all the goofy features but the buck classic just can't be beat.

You are probably referring to the Buck 110.

That was my first "serious" knife given to me by my dad. Great knife...old school quality.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:38 AM

36,418 posts, read 16,026,236 times
My first significant knife was a fixed blade my Dad made in 1982. He continues to make custom knives, now mostly folders, bolster release, mid release and frame release, still makes slip joints and lockbacks. He's 92, has an Article in Blade Magazine, October 2020 called Old Man and the Steel. So proud, he didn't go to Atlanta in June, my brother went. He sold 10 with 3 orders. Mostly new customers. He's made gut hooks, he wants his knives to be USED. Even though there may be inlays of pearl, Mammmoth tooth or Ivory, he wants his customers to use them.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
BTW, wasn't aware, but apparently there's a lotta 'celebrity' knife collectors too (Stallone, Ted Nugent, Nick Cage, Angeina Jolie, Stephen Tyler, etc.)....
Famous Celebrity Knife Collectors
Celebrities, like us, have their own obsessions and collection habits. While some celebrities collect really strange and impractical items (such as Johnny Depp’s disturbing Barbie collection), some are reasonable people who, like many of you reading this, collect knives.

A surprising number of celebrities are really into knives, including Keith Richards, Steven Seagal, Ziggy Marley, Wayne LaPierre, Kid Rock, and Pamela Anderson, but the following are among the most notorious and well-known knife collectors.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:48 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post

That was my first "serious" knife given to me by my dad. Great knife...old school quality.
Yeah it's a 110. I'm pretty happy with it. I was looking at some benchmades and some newfangled expensive high floating knives but I decided on the buck and it's pretty solid.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:30 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
The Buck 110 was my first 'hunting knife'. I still have it. Actually I have two- one with the straight handle and one with finger grooves.

Solid knives.

Old 08-07-2021, 04:09 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post

The Buck 110 was my first decent knife also. I broke the tip trying to open an oyster to use as bait-I should have know better.
I bought a couple of Mora knives and am quite impressed with their quality and price point. I've been carrying a little Gerber Ultralight LST daily for years. I think I paid 10 bucks for it twenty years ago.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The Buck 110 was my first decent knife also. I broke the tip trying to open an oyster to use as bait-I should have know better.
I bought a couple of Mora knives and am quite impressed with their quality and price point. I've been carrying a little Gerber Ultralight LST daily for years. I think I paid 10 bucks for it twenty years ago.

I still have my Buck 110, but it is thick and heavy for everyday carry.

I opted for a Benchmade Griptilian for every day carry and love it.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:05 AM

49 posts, read 27,860 times
I use a $2 special from Wally's, cause I lose one a month. I re-find about half of them. In my BOB, there's a highly modified Crunch multitool, chosen for its visegrip, with 3 different saw blades, and a Cold Steel shovel, without the handle. There's very little that i need to do in the woods that I can't get done with those last 2 tools.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:02 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
I just ordered this one today as an every day carry knife. I have two other Spyderco knives but they are too bulky and large to carry unobtrusively. I like the black clip which can barely be seen when I clip it to the pocket of my black jeans. Also like the partially serrated 2.95 inch blade.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-18-2021 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting