Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 AM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Curious what is thought about the 760 rifle and in what caliber? I see a lot of scopes on these guns, is it better with or with scope? How reliable is the gun and is a carbine or regular barrel the way to go? Thanks for any thoughts. Would be using it as a 100 yard gun or shorter distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:50 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default 760 info

Remington 760 / 7600* Pump Rifle

Old 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
What rifles do you use now?

For shorter than 100 yard distances what do you feel the role of a scope would be?

Do you feel that you can find the target quickly using a scope? Or do you feel that with an iron sight, you would not be able to get a head shot everytime therefore you require a scope?

You really need to blow threw 100 rounds with it before you can form an opinion for yourself of this rifle. See what it feels like to you, and how well you can use it.

In our area, we have a lot of shrub brush and trees, so shots longer than 100 yards are nearly impossible. My eye-sight is not what it once was, but I can still knock a fisher in the head at 20 yards with iron sights. So I do not need a scope yet. So to me; anything that I am going to shoot at, is going to be close by and I am reasonibly assured that I can hit it.

A 308, I would assume that you do not plan on shooting at turkey with it. So if you plan on nailing a bear from your backporch, then it does come down to how comfortable you are with this rifle, and if you can hit the heart/lungs of a bear at 50 yards with it.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default OK choice!

A well-maintained used Rem 760 in .308 will provide you with, easily, a 300+ yard deer, or 180 yard black bear rifle. With good (say, Federal Premium) 165 gr bulleted ammo, and no problems with the muzzle crown (dings, nick,, etc.) these rifles will shoot into ≤ 1.5 inches @ 100 yards, just like your typical Rem 700. Their lockup is strong. Trigger is atrocious and hard to ever get to the quality of, say, a tuned Rem 700 trigger, and there's no aftermarket triggers for them. Keep the action clean and properly (mimimally) lubed. Rem Dry Lube is a good choice.

With, say, a Leupold VX-III 1.75 - 6 X 40mm scope, you can easily pick things off at the aformentioned 300 yards, as you can with any .308. That cartridge is of course used in 1000 (that's right, one thousand) yard competition, so it's more up to the shooter than the rifle. Other cartridge choices would be (if they chamber them) the newer 260 Rem (a necked-down 308) or 7-08 (ditto). For smaller deer or coyotes, etc., the 243 (ditto again) would be great, and if there were such a chambering as 358 Winchester ( a necked-UP 308) that one's a classic for bears, etc.

I'm a lefty and this rifle helps by not requiring an over-the-top cycling of the action. Also it tends to absorb some recoil in the action recycling, and it's a known fast follow-up shooter in brushy country. Not a bad choice at all.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The auto load is definite a woods gun. I always myself used bolt actions and prefer the 270 winchester because I live in Texas and hunted most in open areas and not much thick woods. In a woods gun I alway preferred more like a 18" barreled .308 with a lower powered scope because its not likely you will get a 300 yeard shots in the woods.My favor scope for the wopods gun was a 1.5-5X leupold variable. The 1.5 power is very nice and easy to pickup a quick target moving thru the thicket.If you have the time it not hard to shift to 5X which is plenty.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
The 760 usually shoots very well, caliber depends on what you want to shoot, the 308 or 30-06 are good all-round choices, as is the 280 Remington. Since the 760 is a long action, capable of using 30-06 length cartridges, I don't think you get much advantage going to a short cartridge in the 308 family.

How about a peep sight, I think Lyman still makes one, and/or Williams, in some ways better than either a scope or the iron sights the rifle comes with. This depends on what you will be shooting, under what light conditons, and your eyesight. I don't know if anyone makes a "scout scope" mount for using an intermediate eye relief scope on these, but in principle it would make a good setup. Texdav's 1.5-5X Leopold is a good choice for a conventional scope for one of these rifles IMHO.

I own one from the 1950s in 35 Remington caliber.

These don't usually shoot quite as tight a group as a bolt gun, but there are ways to tune one that's not shooting up to par. Although anything under 3 inches at 100 yards is probably more than good enough for most hunting out to 150 yards. Something to think about is that the trigger mechanism in these rifles is more like a shotgun trigger than the trigger on a bolt gun, it's harder to get a really good crisp 'break' on it than the bolt gun. I'll leave lightening the trigger pull alone, I'd just try to get it tuned up to be a little crisper, the crispness of a trigger contributes a lot to the "shootability" and "hitability" of a rifle, unfortunately the 760 will saddle you with a 2nd class trigger pull. But that's not reason to condemn the rifle overall.

Rifle or carbine? The carbine is handier, the rifle a little easier to shoot with precision, particularly offhand. But if you had a bunch of them to test, you would certainly find some carbines with better intrinsic accuracy than the average rifle.

Hell, get one of each!

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 06-10-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: trigger

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM

234 posts, read 1,269,763 times
I have the 7600 pump, scoped, 30-06. It is a great deer rifle, fast second shot if you need it, and great knockdown power. I have never had a problem with mine in 15 years. Accuracy is not the greatest, but then again I am not that great of a shot
Every deer I have taken has been between 18 and 80 yards here in the northeast, 100 yards shots in the woods I hunt are few and far between.
I would buy another one if I had to.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Having used one as a kid, I think they are excellent rifles. In my case a 30-06. Less wood to damage than a bolt action. I don't believe they are really any less accurate than a bolt. (Practical accuracy anyway.) Follow up shots are as quick as can be short of semi-auto. Quality of build, at least at that time was top shelf.

It's a little heavier than say a lever gun. But not enough that a person capable of hiking would need to worry about it. Probably the only practical critique I can make is that it's a little slower to point than some classic 30-30's. But you gain quite a bit in being able to use .30-06 or .308.

Personally I'd go with .30-06 because the greater case volume can give you more powder choices should you handload. .308 is probably more available these days being NATO, but the powder you use in those shorter cases also seems to make an unusually loud report, and the reduced case volume may possibly limit load choices some.

Anyway, hard to go wrong with this particular rifle.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
My Dad had a 760 pump 30 06. I have not seen one in quite some time. It was a handy bugger and sent many a yote to the happy hunting ground. The ones I have shot were not scoped, and if I owned one, this is the trim I would leave it in. As a fast handling, iron sighted, close to medium range piece. I found the recoil on them to be a bit...different. I noticed the rifling twist in recoil. The gun twists, noticeably, to the right when you touch it off. Did for me anyway. I just chocked it up to being the nature of the beast, so to speak. If I were to get one of these I think I would want it in .243. For shear versatility. Yotes to mule deer at, say, 200-250 yards in lower light conditions or up close work in the brush. Flat shooting and iron sighted for fast target aquisition with a quick follow up shot if needed. They are a nice little rifle. no doubt.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Trigger is atrocious and hard to ever get to the quality of, say, a tuned Rem 700 trigger, and there's no aftermarket triggers for them. Keep the action clean and properly (mimimally) lubed. Rem Dry Lube is a good choice.
It looks like that trigger assembly is essentially identical to the 870 shotgun. Is it?

Probably has a pull about like a factory Glock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting