Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:34 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times

Advertisements

The 19 will never be a HD gun unless it happens to be the closest one at the time and I have special ammo (factory) in them when they are sitting at home. The 19s main purpose is getting my wife slowly up to the better/more powerful guns I own. She still isn't a fan of the SP101 or XDm .40 and those are the ones on each side of the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I just read in another forum that reloads, especially lead bullets, should never be used in a Glock. How true is this? I (now) know the manual says don't do it and there is an issue with the barrel, but is it really that bad? I bought 100 of them at a gun show and really don't want to throw them all away. I shot about 30 of them today with no issue and will definitely give the bore a good scrubbing.
From what I understand, the rifling in a Glock barrel is not the same type of rifling that is common in other guns. Using lead (non-jacketed) bullets causes excessive leading of the barrel, and could result in a serious or dangerous event due to barrel contamination. For this reason, I would recommend not using bare lead bullets.

Reloads are another matter. If you use properly made reloads that are jacketed, you should be fine, but beware that this could violate your warranty. Glock, like all other manufacturers I know of, states this in their documentation. This is standard language to protect them from liability arising from the use of reloads.

The standard rules for reloaded ammunition apply here, as with everywhere else it is used. Be sure you know the quality of the reloads you use, as well as their suitability for your firearm. Never use any reload that is of questionable origin. Never use any reload that does not pass a visual inspection. Be aware that use of reloaded ammunition will most likely void your manufacturers warranty. Finally, remember that you use reloaded ammunition at your own risk - you are responsible for the safe operation of your firearm and its ammunition.

It is recommended that you not use reloaded ammunition in any self defense situation. If there is any question about the use of "non-standard" ammunition, it could reflect negatively upon you in the trial, that would likely follow the incident. If nothing else, if you reload your own ammunition, the person responsible for manufacturing the ammunition (i.e. you) could be held accountable for it, and as an individual, that is a prospect you wouldn't likely want to face. Ammunition companies have lawyers to protect them in this type of situation, and they are better equipped to do so than most individuals.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
From what I understand, the rifling in a Glock barrel is not the same type of rifling that is common in other guns.
You are right, Glock like the H&K P7 don't uses conventional lands and groves for barreling and instead use a polygonal rifling which according to both Glock and H&K is more prone to lead fouling than conventional rifling. Lead fouling can lead to catastrophic pressure build up.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM

23,849 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
I just read in another forum that reloads, especially lead bullets, should never be used in a Glock. How true is this? I (now) know the manual says don't do it and there is an issue with the barrel, but is it really that bad? I bought 100 of them at a gun show and really don't want to throw them all away. I shot about 30 of them today with no issue and will definitely give the bore a good scrubbing.
I use FMJ reloads as target/range ammo almost exclusively, and have had very few problems with feeding, etc.

As others have said, do NOT use them for defense. I use only Speer Gold Dot when carrying or at the bed side - it's the same ammo that the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department uses. If I ever had to use the gun in a defense situation, it'd be kind of hard for a lawyer to disparage the ammo I use.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM

I burned through all the ammo and gave it a thorough cleaning today. Actually, I gave everyone a cleaning except the AK. That is going to be my project for tomorrow. I used a bore light on the 19 and it really wasn't dirty at all, or at least no more dirty than any other gun that had just went through about 200 rounds of ammo in the last two days. I shot 100 rounds of the 9mm reloads and nearly 50 each of some Wolf brass FMJs and Blazer Clean Fires. No matter what, it is very clean now and I will not mess with anything from a gun show again.
My question now is what is the secret to getting a Glock apart? Maybe I'm spoiled by my XDm, but that Glock takes forever to get apart. My major problem is I have very little strength in my hands thanks to what may or may not be carpal tunnel or some other thing that really makes my hands hurt, so I have a hard time with those two little knob things while holding it back. With the XDm, you just slide it back, rotate the little release thing 180 degrees and release it. The slide just comes right off. No holding it funky, trying to get two knobs to go, and no releasing the trigger. That is the part I do not like the most. None of my other guns (XDm, SP101 (obviously), AK-47, and Mosquito) make you release the trigger and they're all really easy to get apart.
Anyhow, is there a secret to this? A coworker told me it's easy, but I am having a helluva time trying to get it. The instructions make it sound sorta easy, but they also don't mention releasing the trigger...

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
30 here... fobus paddle holster is on the nice list for xmas from the wife, keeping my fingers crossed... next purchase is a g36 if i can ever afford it...

side note, i couldn't stand the way a glock felt in my hand in the store, then i shot one and had to have one
i have owned a taurus pt111 9mm and a smith sw40ve sigma that were great guns, but the glock is even better... the pt111 had over 2500 rounds through it, and the sw40 probably close to 1000 with nary an issue though... i have been leaning towards a pt145 from taurus, but like my all black glocks

Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
federal hydrashock in the mag and pipe for me
white box winchester for the range

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Anyhow, is there a secret to this? A coworker told me it's easy, but I am having a helluva time trying to get it. The instructions make it sound sorta easy, but they also don't mention releasing the trigger...
I've carried a Glock 27 for now on 12 years and I still have a hell of time with those two stupid release pins!

This should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLphhrLYmxE

PS - You might think that the slide hasn't released because the the flang on the guide rod has gotten stuck, just apply more pressure and it will slide off.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 AM

Thanks ovcatto. I didn't even think to search You Tube. doh!
They should make a tool or something for those release pins, or use the dial thing most other manufacturers use. It really doesn't get any easier than Springfield, though. I'm always surprised at how easy it is even though I've taken it apart many times. It literally takes all of maybe 3 seconds. Slide, turn dial, release slide and pull off. An easy two handed job.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks ovcatto. I didn't even think to search You Tube. doh!
They should make a tool or something for those release pins, or use the dial thing most other manufacturers use. It really doesn't get any easier than Springfield, though. I'm always surprised at how easy it is even though I've taken it apart many times. It literally takes all of maybe 3 seconds. Slide, turn dial, release slide and pull off. An easy two handed job.
Well of course it could be as easy as a Berretta 92, so easy in fact that if you point one at me, I can disarm you by pulling off the slide while you're holding it. OR, it could be as hard as some 1911's where you need a bushing tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting