Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you risk having your haircut at a Beauty School?
Yes, what a value! 3 23.08%
No, they would scalp me! 6 46.15%
Only if I wanted a buzz cut 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM

485 posts, read 1,841,911 times

Advertisements

I was driving down the street today and there was a sign that said $1 haircuts.... today only. I just had my haircut three weeks ago, so I did not use their services, but I did stop the car to see what it was all about.

It was a Beauty School and they were looking for models for basically free haircuts for their students experience. I wondered how much they could ruin my hair anyway, being a man.

They told me that they would have the dollar promotion once a month to bring in customers, normally it is $6.00. STILL CHEAP!

I currently spend about $30 a month on haircut. Maybe I will try to beauty school. Should I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 PM

969 posts, read 2,856,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I currently spend about $30 a month on haircut. Maybe I will try to beauty school. Should I?
Only if you really like hats. I had a horrible experience ONCE - never again. It was uneven to the point that even the "teacher" couldn't make it right.

When something is "cheap" (vs. inexpensive) there is usually a good reason.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,660,477 times
You get what you pay for. I wouldn't even think about it. My two cents.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:03 PM

392 posts, read 1,860,288 times
Sure I have, but I admit to being pretty adventuresome when it comes to my hair. I mean it is hair, it always grows back so I don't worry about it.
It gives me some pretty good hair stories.
There was the time I got it cut at a Beauty school and the power went out half way through.
Or the $4 cut in Vietnam (expensive by their standards) where the woman cutting my hair was obvious teaching (lecturing) her daughter on how to cut hair as she cut mine. Surprised the heck out of me when she did a face and ear wash on me along with my hair!
I rarely plan hair cuts. After to many bad hair days in a row I can be walking down the street anywhere in the world, see a salon and duck in to see if they have time to cut my hair. I find it a great place to get a half hour or so observing local customs and talk one on with a local (that is if they speak English).

Old 10-08-2008, 03:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
I've had good and bad haircuts and price didn't seen to make much of a difference. The most important thing is for the stylist to really listen to you. If the stylist is busy talking or doing other things then get out of that chair.

I never tried a school but I did a hair show for Loreal about 20 years ago. That was the best color and cut I ever got in my life. Of course I didn't have much say in the style except the most important "don't cut it short".

You could always give it a try. It's much easier for a man to try new things with their hair because your pieces of hair are so much shorter.

Lisa

Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM

265 posts, read 815,091 times
I did this once, and wouldn't consider doing it again. The student cut my hair then her instructor checked things out and told her what she missed. The haircut was to choppy. It looked like I had two different cuts on one head.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,074,831 times
I don't know. I personally wouldn't do it because I value my hair as if it were spun gold, but the students do have to learn and they have to start somewhere. My granny used to go to a beuty college to get her 'do done once a week when she was still alive. It seemed to work out okay for her, but then, she didn't have waist length locks of (black) gold!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,994,125 times
You sound pretty ^

Um, I would go in and request an experienced student at the beauty school. Yes I have done that before. Yes my hair turned out great on most occasions. Only once did a rude drug addict looking lady mess up my hair.

I understand you probably want to save money.

I save money by cutting my own hair now. It looks good now. The first time I cut my hair it looked like <beep> but that grew out and now I just trim it down when needed. I sometimes have somebody near me to point out what needs trimming. I also have a photograph of a hair style so that I can mold my hair to that style. It works. No training needed. It looks great and it's free.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,074,831 times
Awww, thanks! Today's my birthday, ya know!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 AM

100 posts, read 190,827 times
Had a friend go to one of those places for a shape up and edge.
He had what you would call a "high right_low left" on his edge.

I would recommend staying with the professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care