Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times

Advertisements

So, ive read and heard everywhere that washing your hair (meaning using shampoo and conditioner besides watering it) everyday can do a lot of damage.
I dont usually wash it everyday, even if i shower everyday (specially in summer i have to shower everyday cause its very hot and i use public transportation and you gotta shower after coming home), i wont wash my hair 2 days in a road if i can, ill just shower and not clean the hair, cause i dont want to damage it. Specially cause i have a serious problem of my hair falling off too much, and i even got told by the doctor when i tell him this, that i shouldnt wash my hair more than 2 or 3 times a week.
All in all i end up washing my hair between 3 and 4 times a week, even if I shower everyday. In the heap of the summer and if im at the beach, i can end up washing my hair 6 times a week .

How often do you do it and what do you think is better for the hair?
what have been your experiences with this?

sometimes i wish i could stay longer without washing the hair, but im afraid my hair will be noticeable "dirty"? I dont know, i just think that spending more than 2/3 days without washing your hair is gross, but the strange thing, is that my hair looks better than EVER if i spend 2/3 days without washing it. I ended up washing it cause im afraid people will notice, but the truth is i like my hair better the longest its been "dirty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
I usually wash my hair 2-3 times a week. I only wash it 'extra' if I worked out or went somewhere smelly and there is some kind of scent attached to my hair (food scent). If I wash my hair on Sunday, for example, I would was it again on Tuesday or Wednesday, then again on Friday or Saturday. Sometimes, I co-wash/conditioner-wash my hair, but I don't do it frequently because it gives me build up. Maybe you could try that every blue moon to prevent regular shampoo from drying your hair out.

* In the summer, it may be better to wash more frequently if you sweat a lot. I do, but I do more co-washing and deep conditioning to compensate.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:05 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
I get REALLY bothered when my hair is not clean. It's really horrible in an OCD kind of way and I think most people aren't that weird about it. Once, I got pressured by friends to go along on an impromptu outing (when I was in my late teens) before I had a chance to wash my hair... and I was so bothered by the condition of my hair that when we ended up at a mall, I actually popped in to a salon and paid for a shampoo and blow dry on the spot so I could feel "okay". So like i said, I am very weird about it. But yeah, I could easily end up over-washing for this reason. Now that it is warming up where I live it is even worse! If I get the slightest bit sweaty, my head itches so I feel the compulsion to wash it.

I have started using a sulfate free "cleansing conditioner" (the one i use is L'Oreal, I imagine there are plenty others out there to try) so that I am not using harsh shampoos every time and it seems to help me satisfy my need to wash my hair without over-drying. I've been using it for about six months now, and I love it (I do not like the smell but I deal with that -- it's very very sweet smelling, like cake, and kind of gross to me). Otherwise I am happy with it so I keep buying it, plus it's not outrageously expensive.

I use the cleansing conditioner as directed then more conditioner on the ends. I save the regular shampoo for maybe 2 out of every 5 washes.

It's worth noting that my hair is also very processed (bleached), hence the conditioning focus.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I guess it depends on the person...my short, fine, straight, blonde that's thinning and starting to grey, oily hair gets
shampooed every day. I use gel, curlers on top, curling iron and hairspray. There's a buildup of products everyday.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 52,375 times
I have to wash my hair everyday.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Every day, 65 yo still have enough hair for the entire neighborhood, have it trimmed and thinned out every 3-4 weeks. I think that everyone is different.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 AM

5 posts, read 9,559 times
I have to wash my hair 2-3 times in a week.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 AM

16 posts, read 17,091 times
2 times in a week

Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I have dry hair--always have. I wash my hair 2-3 times per week.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM

355 posts, read 913,244 times
I've always had very frizzy, brittle, dry hair my whole life.

My hairdresser said to try to wash it once a week (it's shoulder length). Once I got over the initial "funk" where I felt like my hair was dirty, my hair has never been healthier. It does not stink and is not oily and is very soft. (I've asked people for honest opinion)

My daughter has very long oily hair, if she does not wash it at least 3 times a week it smells really bad. I think it depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care