Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 05:24 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times

Advertisements

I know coloring my hair as I age is not going to make me look like I'm
young, but I don't care for the frizzy grey hairdos....JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG I am dreading the white streak down the center of my hair (I have a natural part that insists on parting so I can't hide that white streak).

I thought it was mostly white but apparently it's not - I actually did let it grow out an inch or so recently trying to get my nerve up. The contrast was striking and unsettling and I found out that I have a mixture of weird colors going on up there. My grandmother had stark white hair eventually - it was very beautiful and I'm hoping for that - but meanwhile I only have about 25 percent stark white hairs and a weird mixture of grays and dark browns (and reds - sheeze!) in the other 75 percent. And my hairs on top of my head are about four inches long so it will take awhile for the top to grow out, so I was hoping to do an easier transition than "skunk stripe."

But maybe that's impossible. I don't know!
Buzz-cut! Or short pixie. It's all the rage now!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I know coloring my hair as I age is not going to make me look like I'm
young, but I don't care for the frizzy grey hairdos....JMHO
Grey hair doesn't have to look frizzy. My hair is naturally curly, and I use sesame oil which is a very light oil that penetrates the hair shaft easily. I also use Alberto VO5 styling gel for silver hair, to bring a soft, sheen to my hair.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
UPDATE: My hair is about two inches of silver grown out now, and it is not frizzy at all - it is just like my normal hair, very silky fine and super shiny! In the sun it is almost blinding! I love it, and everyone who sees me who hasn't seen me in awhile says how GREAT I look and that it makes me look younger. My husband tells me that over and over, too. It really is a myth that gray/silver/white makes one look older - it does not. It is just a color. If it is healthy, shiny and in an attractive style it is often way more flattering.

I just can't wait until mine is all grown out!

Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I've lost track... Is it cut very short, or are you talking about white "roots"?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've lost track... Is it cut very short, or are you talking about white "roots"?
Two inches of roots. I like to wear my hair back and/or up, so not cutting short.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
OK, I'm trying the natural gray or whatever look too. Here's my update:

I got highlights, lots of them, on top. That's the longest part, so I am trying to blend in the gray and white. I'm not worried about the very short sides, and the gray is popping out all over the sides now that I just got a cut! So far the top is fine, thanks to the blonde highlights.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:11 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
OK, I'm trying the natural gray or whatever look too. Here's my update:

I got highlights, lots of them, on top. That's the longest part, so I am trying to blend in the gray and white. I'm not worried about the very short sides, and the gray is popping out all over the sides now that I just got a cut! So far the top is fine, thanks to the blonde highlights.
Can't wait to see. It wil look fabulous, I'm sure!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Can't wait to see. It wil look fabulous, I'm sure!
Well, my husband likes it so that's a plus! Thank you.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Well, my husband likes it so that's a plus! Thank you.
Yes! And my husband told me AGAIN today how much he LOVES my hair now, and how much younger I look! He tells me all the time now. Geez, who knew? I will have to get some pix soon, but everytime I try to take some they come out crappy.... and I am already kind of funny about posting my pix on the internet....but I will try to get some soon. Anyway, no way will I go back to coloring. Not to mention how FREEING this all is! And I am even kind of enjoying the multicolor effects I have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care