Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
WEN is sulfate free i do believe isn't it? There was a thread here somewhere...and it comes with a comb I think if you get the package deal.
I believe so. It's been so long since I first found out about it I can't remember all the benefits except what I see on my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Thanks for all the tips. Im 59 and Im growing mine out. Does the Wen shampoo add body or is it just for conditioning.

This works for me. I blot my hair with paper towels instead of a regular towel. Makes it dry in no time flat.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Sallys beauty supply sells a version of Wen,it called HairOne and it
works great for me. You might get a bit of build up after a couple
weeks or so,but that can be taken cared of with a gentle shampoo.
I use the olive oil one. Its nice

Greechili

Old 01-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Sallys. That good to know. Theres one close to me. Thanks

Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Thanks for all the tips. Im 59 and Im growing mine out. Does the Wen shampoo add body or is it just for conditioning.

This works for me. I blot my hair with paper towels instead of a regular towel. Makes it dry in no time flat.
There's a Wen for all hair types and needs. It's a cleanser and conditioner.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
I think everyone's body chemistry is different. I drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of protien products, but you might try prenatal vitamins as well, that adds all the vitamins you need!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I have shoulder length hair at the moment and I've had it this way for quite some time now, so I'm beginning to miss my longer hair. My hair was at it's longest (down to my lower back) when I was a kid, and at any point since then when I've tried to grow it long again, the best I come to is a few inches below the shoulders before I get sick of it and chop it off again.

I can never seem to deal with the dead ends long enough, and it seems that if I keep trimming the dead ends my hair will never grow to any decent length.

Do you have any helpful tips, tricks, or hints for trying to grow long, beautiful hair all over again?

TIA!
As someone with longer than waist long hair, I have a TON of things for you to do, lol!

First off, only wash your hair NO MORE than twice a week. It strips the natural oils and does damage.

secondly, NO chemicals at ALL. Go to Lushusa.com and get their "gentle lentil" solid shampoo and use it. Also either use their "Jungle" conditioner, or use ORGANIC cold pressed virgin coconut oil as a leave in. (you only need a TINY bit to condition with.)

Every night, comb your hair from the tips up, to get the tangles and knots out, then comb down from the scalp to get the natural oils all the way down the shaft to the tips.

NO NO NO "cones", use no products with silicones, or dimethicones or anything NOT natural.

Since mine is so long, I use coconut oil nightly from 1/2 way down to the tips before bed, then put my hair into 2 loose braids to help prevent breakage and tangling.

Once a month or so, peel and de pit an avacado, and put it into a blender with honey, coconut oil, EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), and a bit of water, and blend to make a hair mask. Use on dry hair and wrap with saran wrap and leave on for 2hrs or so then wash out with the gentle lentil and a bit of coconut oil.

I don't buy into the trimming thing, it's bunk IMO; cause if you take care of your hair properly, you won't need to trim it. Also, a clear henna "dye" will help with hair health and to give your hair a MAJOR glossy boost.

But the MOST important thing for long hair care is DIET, your body won't put out good things, if you don't put good things in it.

Good luck and if you want any more help let me know in a PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

I don't buy into the trimming thing, it's bunk IMO; cause if you take care of your hair properly, you won't need to trim it. Also, a clear henna "dye" will help with hair health and to give your hair a MAJOR glossy boost.
It isn't just how well you take care of your hair, there are other factors involved that cause the splitting, including environment, medications, stress factors. It's not a myth, it was an easy thing to prove. Plus, I haven't tried the other things you mentioned but I'm willing to try anything that doesn't involve shampoo. But, in cosmetology we were warned that henna is one of the harshest things you can do to your hair. Over a period of time, they said, it ruins it (worse than hair dye) and the only thing worse is perms. That came from Renon's in Seattle. Is it true? I dunno.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,857 times
I use Redkens Smooth Down "Heat Glide" JUST on my ends before I blow dry (and sometimes a little bit AFTER I dry)......... This is how I handle my hair which seems to grow SUPER fast!!!!

Firstly, I only wash my hair every other day! If you wash it every day....... DON'T because you're stripping the natural oils away which techinically keep hair healthy. (Some people who have REALLY dry scalps and hair can go upwards of like 3-4 days without washing!)

When I don't wash my hair I wear it up in a ponytail or something

When I DO wash it this is what I do:
Wash with whatever shampoo I like at the time (I tend to use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners... currently I'm using Aussie's "Moist"... I also like Redkens Smooth Down line)

THen I put the conditioner on JUST my ends and let that sit for awhile (I twirl my hair up onto the top of my head in a sort of bun to keep it off my shoulders) while I go about the rest of my shower business (ie: shave, lather up, etc.).... Towards the end of my shower I'll apply conditioner to the rest of my hair so that the root area only gets the conditioner for a few minutes. (When my hair is REALLY DRY I'll do my whole head right after I shampoo)..........

A lot of times I'll buy a SUPERRRRRR Moisturizing conditioner (like Redkens smooth down butter treat, or when I'm strapped for money, Pantenes 3 minute deep conditioner) and like I said above, after I shampoo I'll do JUST my ends with that. THen when I apply the conditioner to my root area I'll use my regular conditioner so my ends get deep conditioned and my roots just get regular conditioned......

AFTER I shower I use a wide toothed comb to comb out tangles and I let my hair air dry for 15-30 minutes (depending on how quick I need to get ready)..... My hair is naturally wavy, so I can't let it get ALL the way air dried otherwise it looks a crazy mess.......

After I let it air dry I use my paddle brush to brush my hair straight (cuz it's started to wave up at this point) and THIS is when I apply the "Heat Glide" JUST to my ends......... (SOMETIMES I'll put it farther up then my ends if my hair is feeling particularly dry that day)....... THen I proceed to just haphazard blow dry. At this point my hair is like half way to three quarters dry, so blow drying only takes 5-10 minutes. I don't really have a rhyme or reason to how I do it cuz I do it all messy :P

Then after I blow dry I spray VERY little hairspray on my hair (I prefer a kind that locks out moisture, like Redkens "Forceful" or John Freidas "Frizz-Ease" Moisture Barrier Spray)....... I don't use THAT Much cuz this stuff WILL dry your hair out a LOT if you use too much.....

After the hairspray I'll use a hairstraightner to get all the wave out of my hair. I don't use one that gets SUPER hot, just enuf to get it straight. After it's all straight I'll quickly spritz a small amount of hairspray to set it.......

Along with taking really good care with the above regimine, I also take a daily vitamin with extra vitamins that promote healthy hair and nails (biotin, beta carotene, fish oil, folic acid, etc)..... there's specific vitamins that literally have the title "Hair, skin and nails" that are geared for the purpose of helping grow healthy and strong hair and nails!) Pre-natal vitamins usually have ALL the extra vitamins you need to grow healthy hair and nails........ usually women take it while they're preggers, but it's perfectly safe for a non-pregnant person to take them! Try those and I bet you see a difference in your hair and nails within a month!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
It isn't just how well you take care of your hair, there are other factors involved that cause the splitting, including environment, medications, stress factors. It's not a myth, it was an easy thing to prove. Plus, I haven't tried the other things you mentioned but I'm willing to try anything that doesn't involve shampoo. But, in cosmetology we were warned that henna is one of the harshest things you can do to your hair. Over a period of time, they said, it ruins it (worse than hair dye) and the only thing worse is perms. That came from Renon's in Seattle. Is it true? I dunno.

I don't know, but you were taught to use very harsh chemicals correct?

Henna isn't harsh at all.

I used to dye my hair (had it done, no home job), and it finally get so damaged it felt like straw. I had to cut it above my ears and let it grow back virgin. That was 4 yrs ago, and for the past 2yrs, I have used clear henna, and it is AMAZING. It feels so soft and healthy and honestly, better than virgin hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care