Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

I like longer hair on guys. My dad had long hair when I was a kid and my little brother had long hair when he was a kid (sadly, he cut it all off much to my mother's dismay), now my nephew does. I'm all for it.

I like short hair, shaved heads, and funky hair too, I'm not all that picky as long as it looks good on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
It is the same old game, boys have played for centuries. Do something to get attention. A way to stand out from their peers for the more bold and then the others have to join in, because the first group is getting too much attention from the girls. The main driver is the desire for attention in some form, for some purpose. Either to PO their parents or attract females who always want the "New Fad".

The new fads have a problem in most have already been done and the "Leaders", immediately get labelled with a tag, like "O' that is so 60's", which takes away some of the intended impact and makes them look like dorks. So some of may be experimentation to find out what might work on a more local level but trying to push it into a national level with staying power is becoming more difficult. The general idea of media fragmentation also has added to the problem.

Tattoos, ear rings, hair styles, clothing fashion fall into this general category, anything to make a statement and separate from / join a group. How to become a rebel and express it in some form with a general intent to accomplish some particular goal.

The interesting parallel is some islands where the entire population is made up of monkeys only, divided into tribes or groups. PBS has shown such a film many times. The monkey males exhibit the same behaviors with split purposes. One to climb in the hierarchy to ranking male status which makes them old hat for mating with females, who secretly desire the bad boy rebels willing to switch tribes and endure that trial, but making the males start at the bottom of the ladder again. H,mmm the females once again drive the game.

Then you get the overplay of a form of tribal warfare based around better enviroments and the fighting is done by females. Humans are not the only ones with rather stupid games played out for some very basic purposes.

I suspect the only real true revolutions left to present day younger males to get a totally new approach is to invent the Silly Walks as shown on one of the Monty Python skits. That should be a real rage, especially if can be evolved to have the girls do the fighting to establish new territory. Very little new on this entire planet, it has all been done before. H,mmm some of those monkeys did seem to be growing slightly longer locks, one may have had a tattoo. Three were noted to be sporting ear rings. They will probably be labelled as dorks......... and the beat goes on.......
Ha, ha! Bullseye.

When I had my ponytail in college, it was a great gimmick. Girls in my organic class would talk with me at campus parties, idea being, let's make fun of the stoned out hippie. Until we started talking about the last exam, and it turned out that I beat them. This tactic opened up many er, social opportunities, that being the '70's.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,410 times
i have my hair past my shoulders and i love it , its the whole grunger style

Old 04-14-2007, 08:46 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
As long as it's not longer than mine. I can site on mine! Oh and as long as he has a pretty set of ribbons to match his shirts. *ducks*

Old 04-14-2007, 01:18 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
Coyote bond-I have to agree I like longer hair too-but not longer than mine-mines not as long as yours,halfway down my back. My son has longer hair-fl beach boy look-it looks awesome on him & his female friends at school always compliment him on it (he's only in the 6th grade). The boys here however teased him mercilessly about his hair-i'm glad he wasn't intimidated into getting it cut. most of the boys here are country boy types with the buzz cuts, complete contrast to south fl. Oh and I love the 80's bands too-be nice if that came back.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
had one bad haircut in the 70's-the "wedge cut" (remember Dorothy Hamill-figure skater?) Well that was it-never again. I remember selling tickets in school and repeatedly hearing "thank you young man." Have worn my hair long ever since-think that emotionally scarred me-lol.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:34 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
I personally don't like long hair on guys. I don't mind the shorter "surfer" cuts- longer than the normal "boy's cut", but not girly long.

My son has surfer hair because it is in style. And as long as he stays a good kid, continues to get great grades...he can grow his hair to his behind.

Just like he asked me when he is 16, would he be able to get his ear pierced or dye his hair.

If he is a good kid, is still on honor roll...fine with me.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am 50 and remember the long hair styles of the 1970s. I had really long hair and looked really silly, but was allowed to wear it so long because my folks wanted me to fit in with the kids at school. I had hair covering my ears and almost to my shoulders. I also had hair that went into my eyes.

Move ahead to year 2007 and I am seeing all kinds of boys with really long hair. It looks just terrible. I see many people who have hair hanging in their eyes and have it down to their shoulders. It looks like Woodstock all over again.

What do you think about the recent trend towards long hair on teenage boys?
It may not be a look that you or I would personally wear, but these are kids trying to fit in - like you used to do! I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just hair. Kids usually go through all kinds of hair phases, but usually when they get older and start looking for employment, the hair gets more "professional" looking. I have two boys and we've been through many, many hair phases. I should talk - I grew up in the 80's and had the biggest, teased, hairsprayed hair on the planet!!! That and HUGE shoulder pads!!! Talk about silly!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It may not be a look that you or I would personally wear, but these are kids trying to fit in - like you used to do! I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just hair. Kids usually go through all kinds of hair phases, but usually when they get older and start looking for employment, the hair gets more "professional" looking. I have two boys and we've been through many, many hair phases. I should talk - I grew up in the 80's and had the biggest, teased, hairsprayed hair on the planet!!! That and HUGE shoulder pads!!! Talk about silly!!!
Hah! I remember those shoulder pads so well.
The 80's, in their way, were almost more exaggerated-looking than the 70's.
But it's just hair. Sometimes as we figure out who we are, we "try on" alternative styles and looks, from Goth to Valley Girl.
I agree with you that once it's time to join the real world, most kids get with the program.
My brother had a huge billowy blonde 'fro as a younger teenager, but when he got older and was looking for his first job, off it went.
I rather enjoy the fact that fashion these days is a bit more forgiving and less uniform, it makes for a lot more variety.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Wonderful, great, best idea since the eighties!!!Now the real reason I am all for it. I have six grandsons that always stay with me when they needed a haircut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care