Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm 48 and I found my first gray hair at 23. I stopped coloring my hair a couple of years ago because I hated the upkeep and also the texture of my hair when it was both gray and colored. About the time I quit coloring mine, two acquaintences, also about the same age, quit coloring theirs. There is power in numbers.

Anyway, now I'm salt-and-pepperish and I like it fine. My husband, who is younger than I am, also is salt-and-pepperish, so I'm not self-conscious about being gray while he's not.
Here, here, as far as power in numbers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,955 times
Watching Larry King Live and just noticed his wispy hair is brown. His hair is so thin you can see right through it. Appears a bald centenarian has walked head first into a dirty brown spider web.

Wear your hair gray at least 10 years before you're Larry's age, if you don't want to look ridiculous. Apparently he's mid 70's. He should totally take a cue from Andersen Cooper; stone cold fox with silver locks.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I think some women are making a HUGE mistake by not coloring their hair - yes - until they croak.

It is a matter of what looks good on you and how your hair color makes you feel.

I personally think that most women look unkempt and like they don't care about themselves if they don't color their hair. Nothing is uglier than faded, washed out looking hair - "dishwater brown" and clumps of gray - ICK. Not everyone grays evenly.

But, unless you quit using haircolor, you won't really know what is going on with your graying patterns . . . so it can be very smart to transition to gray and see what it looks like "on its own." If you are like my mother, and have mottled hair that is whitish in the back, then dark brown on the top and mixed on the sides . . . I suspect you will run to find a haircolorist (or a box of L'Oreal).

I think of Nancy Reagan, who always has looked so well groomed. She just went lighter with her hair color as she got older. I like that. She looks put together but not "harsh."

Then there is Barbara Bush, whose gray hair grayed very evenly and I think her hair is gorgeous!

So the decision to color or not really does depend on what looks good on YOU.

I think if your hair is graying in patches and the unevenness makes you look "messy" . . . it would be much more sensible to go to a lighter color.

I will never be gray! However, I will at some point probably switch to a blonde shade (I am a redhead). I don't want faded out "pink" hair . . . but even if it is white, can't imagine enjoying that look. I like some kind of shine and color in my hair.

It is a very personal choice. But as far as couples looking strange if the hubby is silver headed and the wife isn't . . . no way. If your hair looks good on you, that is all that people notice.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,818 times
I have a friend in her 40s who looks much older than she is, because her gray hair is styled in a way that is very old and boring. Then there is my friend in her late 50s who looks super cool with her gray hair in a spiky, hip cut. So the style makes a lot of difference.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
I am young-ish (early 30s) and got my first grey in my 20s, well they aren't grey...they are pure white! . LOL. There are just a few and they are all in the front of my head, of course.

I think 90 is a good age to stop coloring. LOL.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 PM

40 posts, read 116,584 times
I've never colored my hair. I have a nice, big gray streak in the front of my hair that I have had for years. I love it. I think gray is very distinguished looking. When I go all gray, I will love it. My mom colored her hair until she was 84. I finally talked her into letting it go gray and it looks so very nice and natural.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinHandcraftedSoap View Post
I've never colored my hair. I have a nice, big gray streak in the front of my hair that I have had for years. I love it. I think gray is very distinguished looking. When I go all gray, I will love it. My mom colored her hair until she was 84. I finally talked her into letting it go gray and it looks so very nice and natural.
If gray looks good on you (& your Mom) go for it!

For me can't do it-not becoming at all-drains my face of color.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
My Mom let her hair go natural in her early 70's from a red head, which she always was and it was ....no way!! So she left this earth as a redhead!! Me....I will be blondish, redish, till the end!
I totally agree. I don't color because I am going gray. I like it and it is my prerogative to change it as often as I see fit. And I see fit often. I love to change my look.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I am 54 and decided to stop coloring and go gray last year. Unfortunately, my gray is coming in very sporadically. No cool gray streak, and not enough gray to make my hair really look anything but drab and dull with little coarse strands of gray spiraling out of the rest of what is brown straight hair. So a couple of months ago I decided to start coloring it again.

I think gray hair can be very attractive but for me at this point in my life I look better when I color it. My SO had wonderful thick blonde hair 15 years ago when we met, but his hair now, although still thick and full, is mostly pure white with some steel gray mixed in. It looks great, but then he has always had nicer hair than me! I guess with my genes (my father didn't really start going gray until he was in his 70's), I may have to wait until I have enough gray to once again try the natural look. Meanwhile, I'll probably gradually go a little lighter but for now I'll keep coloring it.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's not all about grey either.

My 23 year old daughter and her friends have been dying their hair "for fun" since their teens. It's a whole new generation and they will do whatever they want. There are no rules about this kind of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care