Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,864,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon848 View Post
Wow, not to get in on someone else's thread but this is depressing. My wife and I are also thinking about moving to the Hampton Roads area but with all the terrible posts, you wonder why anyone lives there. We vacation there at least twice a year and thought that the area was a good place for a new start. Is is really that bad?!
I would take some of the negative comments with a grain of salt that you see on this forum. If you and your wife enjoyed vacationing in HR, then it's definitely something to explore. Only you and your wife know what type of lifestyle that you both find ideal. Don't let a forum on the internet decide for you. There is a lot of great information on here but realize everyone has different experiences and other factors that play into opinions that are formed, whether it be personal or otherwise.

I lived in HR most of my life and the area has so much to offer. I have since moved and I really appreciate the different aspects of HR now that I no longer live there. There is going to be good & bad things of any location....No place is perfect. It's all what you make it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 42,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon848 View Post
Wow, not to get in on someone else's thread but this is depressing. My wife and I are also thinking about moving to the Hampton Roads area but with all the terrible posts, you wonder why anyone lives there. We vacation there at least twice a year and thought that the area was a good place for a new start. Is is really that bad?!
Very true. I left years ago but come back to visit family still living in the area at least once per year. Every time I return, it looks a little worse than the last time I visited. Lots of crime and large areas turning into ghettos and crime infested areas. The first ten minutes of any local newscast seems to be filled with stories of shootings.

There are still some decent parts left, but not as many as there use to be. Perhaps it is the bad economy taking its toll on the area. I use to love HR and hope it someday improves, but like many cities in decline, it will probably not get better any time soon.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I would take some of the negative comments with a grain of salt that you see on this forum. If you and your wife enjoyed vacationing in HR, then it's definitely something to explore. Only you and your wife know what type of lifestyle that you both find ideal. Don't let a forum on the internet decide for you. There is a lot of great information on here but realize everyone has different experiences and other factors that play into opinions that are formed, whether it be personal or otherwise.

I lived in HR most of my life and the area has so much to offer. I have since moved and I really appreciate the different aspects of HR now that I no longer live there. There is going to be good & bad things of any location....No place is perfect. It's all what you make it. Good luck!
True. I moved from HR after 14 years to Northern VA six years ago and now live near Louisville, KY. I went back and 09 and it very much felt like home. I think the area is not as bad as people make it out to be (especially the crime aspect.) I would like to return someday but I am probably wait a few more years and give Louisville, Columbus OH, Houston, or San Antonio a chance.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:17 AM

20 posts, read 50,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvbeach View Post
The cost of home ownership is very high here - you may want to look at some realtor sites before moving here to get the sense of it if owning a home is important to you. It takes 2 good incomes to buy a decent place here from what I can tell. I don't think I'd call Hampton Roads "afforable."

There isn't much of an urban feel like what you are describing except in Norfolk and maybe Newport News, if you want that kind of city vibe. It's a big surburban like sprawl here for the most part.

Whats affordable and whats not is different between 2 people. Where im living now I cant find a decent house under 400k. My parents live in an average 2 story house and its going for 550k right now, its not even the best of areas. 300k with a daul income household is what im looking for.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvbeach View Post
The cost of home ownership is very high here - you may want to look at some realtor sites before moving here to get the sense of it if owning a home is important to you. It takes 2 good incomes to buy a decent place here from what I can tell. I don't think I'd call Hampton Roads "afforable."
I keep hearing this with nothing to support it. What is considered affordable? At current interest rates a 225k home is going to run you about $1300 a month with property taxes, mortgage insurance, etc...

I did a zillow search in zip code 23464 (Kempsville) for single family homes (detached house or townhouse) with at least 3 bedrooms and an asking price < 225k. It returned 180 results. This is a central area (~15 minute drive to VB Town Center or Downtown Norfolk, ~20 min drive to numerous beaches on the bay or ocean) with large lots, low crime, is close to the highway, and has great public schools. 1 good income (50k or more) can afford one of these houses easily. Two good incomes and you can drive a BMW, vacation every year, save $1000 a month and buy one of these houses. Those are just asking prices anyway, look at the amount of inventory. Plan on getting any of those for about 10% below what they are asking.

Zillow Custom Search for 23464

Prefer to live close to VB Town Center where there is a little more nightlife and shopping:

Zillow Custom Search near VB Town Center

Sure, if you want a 3000 square foot mcmansion then the area can be expensive... but it certainly doesn't have to be.

On a side note... are we really THAT concerned about how fancy the Nordstroms is? Is that what constitutes quality of life? Seriously?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 PM

14 posts, read 25,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I keep hearing this with nothing to support it. What is considered affordable? At current interest rates a 225k home is going to run you about $1300 a month with property taxes, mortgage insurance, etc...
Before taxes and insurance that loan is more like $1450, plus w/ the tax rates in Hampton Roads one would expect more of a $1600 payment. If anyone has lived in this area for any amount of time the type of house that buys you isn't worth it.

We area still deflating from the bubble. Prices are still coming down. If you can, wait.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 25,028 times
Thank you UHgrad! Finally some useful information. Centralized location to start searching in with housing prices, drive times, etc. Now I'm off to search for more info on Kempsville.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,725 times
This would be a dull area for single people, but it is great for families-----large lots, low crime, highly rated public schools---should you want them at a later date, and very little traffic compared to other area. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of ethnic diversity.
My children enjoy the public schools, but I have met many homeschooling parents. The YMCA, public library, Nauticus, VA Beach Aquarium, Chrysler Art Museum etc.. run programs for children and sometimes programs specifically for home schoolers. I have been impressed with the high quality, free, fun and intellectual programs for children, especially if you are willing to travel 30 minutes to explore different areas--- ex. Hampton's NASA Center. My family has traveled a lot, and we have found this area very friendly.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM

The family environment sounds great. Family attractions and atmosphere will be a great change from here. We are originally from the South and are looking forward to getting back to that kind of lifestyle.

The lack of diversity is a problem. Although diversity is great, LA has taught me a thing or two about it. When there is a predominance of one ethnic group that holds tightly to their own culture, they tend to refuse to learn the language and culture of the host country. Germany has that same problem with many Turkish immigrants. LA has huge populations of many, many cultures that want nothing to do with a blended style American culture, which leads to many groups butting heads. It wasn't until we moved here from the south that we realized how unique and different even a Southern US culture actually is. Wish there could be an even distribution of many cultures everywhere, but in the absence of that, I want my family to be raised in the South and we will frequently visit other countries and absorb their native culture in its natural environment. LA has in many instances a worst case scenario.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Does anyone know how feasible it would be to live out in a more rural area and travel in to work, play, etc. How would traffic lend itself to that? What about distances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area