Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 23,494 times

Advertisements

I live in Virginia Beach City and my rude neighbors will not utilize their two car driveway. Instead, they park all 3 of their vehicles on both sides of my drive way, right up to each edge and I can not hardley back out of my driveway and almost got t-boned one morning! I also have to drag my huge, heavy trash container all the way around their cars for trash pick up. They seem to do this on spite and the police will do nothing about it. Does anyone know what I can do about this??
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocute2 View Post
I live in Virginia Beach City and my rude neighbors will not utilize their two car driveway. Instead, they park all 3 of their vehicles on both sides of my drive way, right up to each edge and I can not hardley back out of my driveway and almost got t-boned one morning! I also have to drag my huge, heavy trash container all the way around their cars for trash pick up. They seem to do this on spite and the police will do nothing about it. Does anyone know what I can do about this??
Legally not much probably.

Questionablelegality, well, you're only limited by your imagination.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 PM

I left my large trash container out on MY side of MY driveway after trash pick up today, so the teenage smart-alec daughter would pull up a bit in front of my house instead of the edge of my driveway, and she took my container and dragged it all the way through my yard and put it beside my house, then backed her car closer to my driveway again! I can not ever have company because there is literally no where for them to park on this entire street! My neighbors are the only ones who has done this to everyone who has rented this house! Don't know how much more of their inconsideration and overbarreness I can take!!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
Why don't you just tell them straight up to please stop parking there? See what they have to say about it before you judge. Maybe they don't realize they're doing anything wrong. At least the girl put your trash can all the way by your house instead of just tossing it in your driveway or something.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
You could be passive aggressive and park there the next time those cars are gone.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
How about parking the same in front of their house/driveway?? Have you tried to speak to your neighbor?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 AM

I have spoken nicely to them several times in the 5 months I've lived here. They ALWAYS keep one of their large suv's parked in front of their house, but up to the edge of their driveway. No one can ever park in front of their house like one or the other of them do mine everyday. I tried parking my small Sonata in front of my house (I live on the corner) once and while sitting on my side deck one night (dark) watched the teenage girl keep backing up until she backed into my car! There was a good 30 feet in front of me for her to park AND 3 or 4 empty spaces across the street. She got out of her car to cut across my yard to her house and I told her she was still sitting on my bumper and hit my car. She smarted me off and went in their house. Because there was no real damage to my car, the cops did nothing and wouldn't even ask her to move off my car which was in front of mine and mine only property.

So Upsilon...YES, they are doing it all on purpose and 3 other neighbors even across the street said they used to do them that way! They couldn't take their trash out, or get out of their driveways some mornings to go to work! They had second vehicles they don't need to drive and finally had to park them where these people can't do them this way anymore. I don't have another vehicle to do that. I've tried every nice and legal thing I can and nothing works.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
So... what do they say? "Too bad?" Not much anyone can do to help you except tell you your neighbors suck.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
I had neighbors like yours when I lived in the city of Pittsburgh (I now live in the suburbs). It's a horrible way to live. We had a throughway driveway which either neighbor could use to get to their own property. Well, of course, the neighbor used it like it was hers and also parked in the front of our house too. Her kids were teenagers and their friends used to park there all the time as well. I tried asking them nicely to not park there since I had a baby and a toddler to load and unload from our car, but that only made the neighbors act out even worse. It actually got to the point that I was worried about our safety.

The best advice I could offer you is to move. People like your neighbors never give up and love when they cause you distress. It's not worth you having to worry about your property. It's also not worth the hassle of trying to get out your trash, having company over, or even just pulling out of your driveway. Who knows how far they are willing to take the situation. For your peace of mind, I'd just leave. The day we moved out was the best day ever. I still think about it with a smile on my face!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks highway29south. We are DEFINITELY going to move, but stuck under this rental lease for 7 more hellish months! I didn't think people could trespass or move your personal property like that? Twice I didnt get my weeks worth of garbage picked up because of these people's obnoxious behavior. Can't believe the ordinaces in a city this size does not provide regulations on parking! We're trying to find employment in NC and hope to relocate there to a DECENT neighborhood with homes that do not cost 1/2 million dollars for something halfway nice!

Upsilon...you come across as having the same smart-alec attitude my neighbors have. We've only lived here for 5 months. I was asking because I did not know what else I could legally do here about the situation. I still don't see how someone can legally keep you from having your garbage picked up by moving your personal property, trespassing on your property, and literally park backed into your vehicle! Apparently...only the jerks have rights in Va. Beach and surrounding areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area