Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,002 times

Advertisements

VB has the second lowest violent crime rate of any city over 250,000 in the country according to FBI uniform crime report statistics in 2011.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VB is a geographically large area that is mostly suburban. Although the areas mentioned above may sound like a lot... they are small and relatively isolated when you look at the city as a whole. The city certainly has its fair share of crime, and things like petty theft can be an issue, but in terms of serious crime all the statistics say that the city is much safer than most.

Aside from listening to the advice you were given above (which seems spot on), you can generally tell what an area is like by seeing how people take care of their properties. It is not always true, but typically when folks take pride in their homes and yards, the area tends to be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM

122 posts, read 293,470 times
Thanks As a women who will be living alone with my son i just want to make sure im extra safe

Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
I feel safe here. I jog alone without worry, and I often see other females doing the same.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
That seems like a lot of places I'm looking for a 3bedroom under 1500. I found a place near lynnhaven mall and another place off laskin road. If from the city so what looks like a bad neighborhood to me may not be the same criteria to judge a suburb.
That area will have A LOT of jet noise.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times
There are a lot of gated condo complexes and the owners renting them out. Looks into finding one as a rental for increased piece of mind.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM

41 posts, read 79,155 times
We always feel safe and we live off of Shore Drive, on the east side of the Lesner Bridge. You can't go wrong with anything in the 23454 zip code that is north of VB Blvd and also the 23451 zip code. I'd say in all other zip codes there are pockets of good and bad...

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 PM

359 posts, read 758,875 times
Wondering out loud about the future of Lynnhaven Mall. They are getting a Dave & Buster's. I'm hoping to be persuaded otherwise, but I'm now wondering if that place will become the new Waterside, with feral youts attacking people inside parking garages. My prediction is that place is expanding beyond capacity and thus will become Hood Central or "No belts required MacArthur" without double or triple the security. I would never go there on a Fri. or Sat. Watch your sixes, people!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM

That's what my husband said too! As soon as we heard about Dave & Busters. It's a shame too because I like the AMC.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
The AMC is really nice and I too like it and go there off and on.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Wondering out loud about the future of Lynnhaven Mall. They are getting a Dave & Buster's. I'm hoping to be persuaded otherwise, but I'm now wondering if that place will become the new Waterside, with feral youts attacking people inside parking garages. My prediction is that place is expanding beyond capacity and thus will become Hood Central or "No belts required MacArthur" without double or triple the security. I would never go there on a Fri. or Sat. Watch your sixes, people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
That's what my husband said too! As soon as we heard about Dave & Busters. It's a shame too because I like the AMC.
Man! What Dave & Buster's have you guys been to? I've been to I believe six different Dave & Buster's and have never had a ghetto experience. And these are the locations nearest Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, and Miami. I had to ask my wife because I could have sworn that you had to go to the concierge at the front and give them the number of your party like a standard sit down restaurant but she says if you want you could go right in and play video games. I suppose that's possible but I have yet to have an experience that was all thugged out. Dave and Buster's is not Flipper McCoy's back in the day. Maybe I'm just out of the loop but Dave and Buster's always seemed to be fairly well-regulated. I must just go on off nights or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area