Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 AM

80 posts, read 83,383 times

Advertisements

I had said I would follow up after relocating from the St Louis suburbs to Virginia Beach so here I am. So far so good, we have been in our townhouse for a week and today is my first day at work.

We are living in Kempsville area in Virginia Beach and I am commuting to Hampton VA while my wife is commuting to Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. Both commutes were fine this morning I left the house just before 6 and got to work without ever having to even hit my brakes on the highway... hers included a stop at daycare and about 10 miles total which went smoothly as well.

We like the area so far and have met a couple of nice neighbors and enjoy the convenience to shopping, highway, parks, and other amenities. Didn't have a chance to go to the beach this weekend due to the weather but look forward to it once the rain moves out.

I'll try to update again after a month or so of commuting and living but so far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
That's good to hear. I hope all continues to go well!
Thank you for updating us.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Thank you, please continue to update over the next year!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Welcome vboryork!

Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Glad to have you guys!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vboryork View Post
I had said I would follow up after relocating from the St Louis suburbs to Virginia Beach so here I am. So far so good, we have been in our townhouse for a week and today is my first day at work.

We are living in Kempsville area in Virginia Beach and I am commuting to Hampton VA while my wife is commuting to Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. Both commutes were fine this morning I left the house just before 6 and got to work without ever having to even hit my brakes on the highway... hers included a stop at daycare and about 10 miles total which went smoothly as well.

We like the area so far and have met a couple of nice neighbors and enjoy the convenience to shopping, highway, parks, and other amenities. Didn't have a chance to go to the beach this weekend due to the weather but look forward to it once the rain moves out.

I'll try to update again after a month or so of commuting and living but so far so good.
I'm very interested in how the VB to Hampton commute keeps working for you. It sounds like you have off peak hours to some extent. That commute would be a nightmare with regular hours.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 AM

80 posts, read 83,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm very interested in how the VB to Hampton commute keeps working for you. It sounds like you have off peak hours to some extent. That commute would be a nightmare with regular hours.
Yeah, this was all considered and discussed with my employer before taking the job and choosing where to live. Given that I work from home a couple days a week and commute off-peak hours we figured it would be manageable. Having talked with others at work that make a similar commute, my mornings should be perfectly fine (except for instances of increased base security) but afternoons in the summer may be problematic at times. Worst case, it takes me an extra 10-15 minutes to get home 3 days a week from June - September and occasionally there will be an accident where it will suck or I'll just take 664.

Commute to and from work yesterday was as good as a 30 mile commute can be... I got some "learn Spanish while you drive" CD's so it passes the time pretty easily. No problems either way, a couple people hit their brakes in the tunnel for no apparent reason in the afternoon but all I had to do was lift my throttle to accommodate it. I am assuming some people just have a mental block about going into the tunnel and instinctively slow down even though it is 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out.

Commute in this morning was also uneventful, I can get in the HOV after 6 with my electric car so I pretty much had the highway to myself until I got past the navy base save for a few hybrids and people that are willing to chance a $125 ticket to save 2 or 3 minutes. Supposedly, my $25 "alternative fuel" license plate fee partially pays for HOV enforcement but I have yet to see a police car in the HOV lanes doing any enforcement. I guess time will tell it's only been two days.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Oh I have definitely seen some HOV lane enforcement in the mornings!

Old 05-03-2016, 03:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vboryork View Post
No problems either way, a couple people hit their brakes in the tunnel for no apparent reason in the afternoon but all I had to do was lift my throttle to accommodate it. I am assuming some people just have a mental block about going into the tunnel and instinctively slow down even though it is 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out.
It's the most obnoxious thing on the planet. See the Judgmental Map of Hampton Roads:

JUDGMENTAL MAPS: Hampton Roads, VA by Ace Copr. 2014 Ace. All...

Some language there, but it's a hoot.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM

8 posts, read 8,901 times
Unmarked cars do a lot of the HOV enforcement. Radar detectors are illegal in VA, but worth the $40 fine should they 1 in a million ever catch you with you one. I can't imagine traversing that stretch without one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area