Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM

142 posts, read 481,677 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am now looking into the Williamsburg area as a possible place to move to in the next year.

I have visited the area several times on trips and think it is beautiful.
I like the climate - not so cold as NY in the winter, minimal snow. Not so hot and humid as say Florida in the summer. Not as many critters as Florida.

I also like what I am reading on the forums, that is basically a quiet area, not much night life and low crime. Aside from a nice dinner out we are not really night people.

Instead, we prefer outdoors activities, hiking, fishing at lakes, dog sports, etc.,

I like that the beach and the mountains are still accessible and a visit to family located in either NY or Fl should only take about a one day drive.

What I was wondering:

What are the safest areas in Willimasburg and the surrounding towns?

Is Williamsburg's population diverse in living areas? Not sure if I worded it right - but I am not trying to offend. Are different races living in separate areas of Williamsburg or are all races living together in the same areas - happily? For example, where I live right now - the house across from us is filled with illegal immigrants from Mexico - who are very nice. The home next to us is bi-racial. The home caddy corner to us is a white family. We are very happy with this area and everyone gets along well. I don't want to live in an area that is too much of any one race and not welcoming to others.

Which are the good school districts?

Are there areas where you can find a small starter or vacation home under 200,000? We are not fussy on size, but don't want a home that is falling into the ground either. We will not consider a condo due to two large dogs and a few cats.

Do most of the areas allow fencing on the properties?

Which areas are dog friendly with parks and stuff to take the dogs?

Last edited by NEEDMORESPACE2; 03-23-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,170 times
Well in Williamsburg is a typical suburb. We have a lot of tourist attractions like Busch Gardens, Water Country and Colonial Willamsburg. Its great area for families and retirees. Well there isn't much work to hike in the woods since were on the east coast. We have some fresh water fishing at Waller Mill Reservoir and Woodstock Pond and you can get the locations and pictures at [url=http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/]Fishing[/url]. Waller Mill Park allows licensed vaccinated dogs for their club which costs some money. But there is York Beach (Brackish Water) were dogs can go to. Walking around Colonial Willamsburg with the dogs is great. There is a nice beach about an hour away at Virgina Beach its a nice place but lots of traffic and no dogs. I wouldn't worry too much about crime, just make sure you do the speed limit. Honestly think the police don't have much to do but pull people over for speeding. Definitely do not speed on parkway (national park) or otherwise face a hefty fine. I wouldn't say Willamsburg is diverse because there is a lot more white people in this area. But Willamsburg isn't racist because Obama won in this city. There are the usual illegal construction immigrants. But there is also the legal immigrants a lot tend to be of asian origin. In the smaller richer communities people tend to wave a lot more. York High has seem to be on he higher end with scores. But William and Mary is a very prestigious college one of the best in the country. But most of the schools in Willamsburg have all been recently renovated. The Willamsburg Library is a must see along with Colonial Willamsburg. Most homes are at 250ish. Vacation homes under 200k are going to be fairly small. We do have quite a number of old homes so best of luck on that part. The new stuff that is being built are condos/town house(200k), expensive condos or single family homes for 300+. Most areas allow fencing unless home owners association dissaproves or you have a house near state or federal property. Its always safe to ask the county first.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I did see several homes under 200 - and they were small - but the house we are in now is only 650 sq foot - so a 900 sq foot is an upgrade for us!

Are any of the areas considered bad in Williamsburg - run down - or higher crime? I was just wondering why these homes I saw on an internet search were so much cheaper.

Of course, we would plan to come down and look before we buy - but I always like to have a heads up so as not to be dissapointed!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 20,018 times
the areas with i reccoment o stay away from are Forest Glen, Some parts of Centerville, some parts of chickahomony road and the Grove area. The above post commented on York high school, which is a good school, but you are not living in Williamsburg area if you are attending that school, locally there are 4 high schools, 3 with james city and one in york county (still Williamsburg area tho)

Crime is not a factor for the most part, but it will happen, but not a large factor in determining where to live.

Also, Obama won the city, not the County (James City), so dont think we are all crazies

Old 03-30-2009, 04:01 PM

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area