Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM

120 posts, read 218,074 times

Advertisements

If your know of a resturant that will have smoking in Virginia after dec. 1 let us know.go to Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 55,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I think it is a stupid law and will be next to impossible to enforce, I understand the health benefits behind it and don't have a problem with that...I only sit in a non smoking section of a restaurant myself.......I just have a problem with the government telling a business owner what he can or cant do in his place of business
Seriously? It's already been enacted in tons of states and is easy to enforce.. basically it comes down to this: if someone lights up in your establishment you get a hefty fine, if not shut down. Smoking is a disgusting habit, just because you want to ruin your lungs while you eat doesn't mean you need to ruin mine.

And as far as governments telling business what they can and can't do: How would you feel if there were no health or cleanliness regulations? Laws are (generally) put into place to benefit society as a whole. I moved to VA several weeks ago from NY where smoking in restaurants has been banned for years and I couldn't believe it when I went out to eat here and they still allowed it.

Take your tar and shove it. Tobacco and the cigarette industry are a joke. The only reason tobacco is still legal is because the government officials are a bunch of pushovers and would rather have their high end sports cars than care about the people they swore to protect.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:56 PM

120 posts, read 218,074 times
There are a few more things threatend now that smoking is out of the way. Vote on the one you think will be next.
Smoking in Va Restaurants after Dec. 1st 2009

Silly american's think they have freedom of choice. Not in the Comunistwealth of Virginia.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
I only found out about this a few days ago.

Really disgusted with the people pushing this policy and disappointed in Virginia. It's a Southern state. It's a freedom-minded state. It's Marlboro country and the center of the Philip Morris empire, for Christ's sake! Seriously, Virginia?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,661 times
A non-smoking section in a restaurant is like having a "non-peeing" section in a swimming pool! It won't work! And since second hand smoke is the number one cause of cancer we ought to be happy our government is taking care of us. Not!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukini2 View Post
A non-smoking section in a restaurant is like having a "non-peeing" section in a swimming pool! It won't work! And since second hand smoke is the number one cause of cancer we ought to be happy our government is taking care of us. Not!
You live in Hawaii, one of the most liberal states, so I don't see where the anger comes from. Obviously people expect things in Virginia to function a bit differently.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I only found out about this a few days ago.

Really disgusted with the people pushing this policy and disappointed in Virginia. It's a Southern state. It's a freedom-minded state. It's Marlboro country and the center of the Philip Morris empire, for Christ's sake! Seriously, Virginia?
You sound like an ex Ol' Dominioner, Bet you love the no talking on the cell without a handsfree while driving law in Jersey~

Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM

5 posts, read 10,661 times
Hawaii is a liberal state, but unless you have lived here you would not realize Hawaii is the way it is because of simple common sense rules and we all seem to live just fine with them. Rules that make sense like not smoking in common areas such as restaurants, bars and other public places. Even New York and the country of France have outlawed smoking in public places. I think Virginia is a great place, I love the schools, people and history. However it is disappointing to know the leaders of the Commonwealth of Virginia put the welfare of a few (the owners/stockholders of big tobacco) ahead of the health and welfare of it's common citizens (and visitors).

Take care and God Bless you.

Aloha

Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
France and the state of Obama are two places with which I do not wish to be associated!!

Also smoking not second hand smoke is the leading cause of lung cancer, and before you say it radon is the second leading cause.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
You sound like an ex Ol' Dominioner, Bet you love the no talking on the cell without a handsfree while driving law in Jersey~
Haha, actually, I was born in IL and have lived in NJ all my life, but the majority of folks I know say I would fit in more in the South. No complaints here, I love Virginia (don't get me started on Jersey!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area