Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 PM

140 posts, read 540,505 times

Advertisements

Actually, part of Kiln Creek is in Newport News and part is in York County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM

211 posts, read 816,521 times
Poquoson is the smallest city in Tidewater, and about 95% white too, according to the census.

Poquoson city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau (http://tinyurl.com/ycdjbnf - broken link)

Not that it should matter, but I heard tales about folks who shouldn't get caught out there after sundown....

Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
Poquoson is the smallest city in Tidewater, and about 95% white too, according to the census.

Poquoson city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau (http://tinyurl.com/ycdjbnf - broken link)

Not that it should matter, but I heard tales about folks who shouldn't get caught out there after sundown....
This is pure BS. I'm black and lived right next door to Poquoson for 14 years. I've never heard of any racial trouble there.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM

125 posts, read 496,754 times
Quote:

Please share about these tales. Have you ever even been to Poquoson?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM

211 posts, read 816,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This is pure BS. I'm black and lived right next door to Poquoson for 14 years. I've never heard of any racial trouble there.
Back in the day, everyone knew Poquoson was the "Simi Valley" of Tidewater....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/53089-post7.html
Quote:
Most of the homes are deep into the neighborhood; it would take about 15 minutes to get from my parents' house to the main road to get out of town. If you are not white or value diversity, I would avoid Poquoson like the plague. My parents' neighbors told them when they moved in that they had hung a confederate flag outside of their home to prevent any "n-word" from moving in and that attitude seemed to be common. There have been rumors of Klan meetings in the wooded areas of the town.
Poquoson residents appeal to court on zoning decision - [domain blocked due to spam]
Quote:
progressive thinking voters in poquoson, yea right. i lived there for 28yrs, saw the YMCA built in yorktown because those voters didn't want the wrong type people coming into town. every business that wanted to come into the big woods couldn't because it would bring in the wrong type of people. wrong type of people you ask, blacks, orientals, blacks. there aren't any progressive thinking people in poquoson, they are still living in the past and as bigoted as they ever were, especially down in the messick area where the clan member meetings are held and the clan kids wear their hoods and robes to trick or treat in at halloween. where they hunt out of season and bring in fish and crabs that aren't legal size. i'm glad i got out when i did, poquoson is becoming a gated community and people don't even know it, soon you'll be payin dues to live there, wait you already do in higher taxes. people do what they want in poquoson, cause they can.
Single Post - UN shots fired, Maryland shooting spree (http://tinyurl.com/ycy2cs6 - broken link)
Quote:
Police have arrested Allen King, 18, of the 200 block of Messick Road in Poquoson; Grant R. Berland, 18, of Church Street in Poquoson; and two 17-year-olds, one of whom lives in Poquoson and the other who recently moved to Williamsburg from Poquoson.

Police say the teens shot at cars, homes, and individuals during the four-and-a-half hour spree, which involved shootings in Williamsburg, James City County, and New Kent County.

Last edited by reckless99; 01-21-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM

125 posts, read 496,754 times
Anecdotal evidence and a solitary copy/paste of a 2002 news article? C'mon, now... really... surely you can do better than that!

To the OP, I would definitely recommend taking the previous poster's ramblings with a grain of salt across the board (tongue in cheek there).

Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 AM

51 posts, read 149,164 times
Quote:

A little dramatic with the "after sundown" thing, but yea there are some close minded people in that town (but thats everywhere). But in a random, predominately white rural town in a southern state expect some ignorance definitely, but in Poquoson your life is not in danger.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM

58 posts, read 264,959 times
Thanks to all for replying. We are still considering Yorktown, parts of NN, and Glouchester. Interested in library location for Yorktown, shopping.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM

140 posts, read 540,505 times
The main library in Yorktown is located at 100 Long Green Blvd, Yorktown, VA 23693. It's reasonably new and VERY nice. Right across the street is a very nice, new YMCA. There's another branch, a little closer to Ft Eustis at 8500 George Washington Memorial Hwy (Rte 17), Yorktown, VA 23692. It's an older branch but has all of the necessities including several computers.

Here's a link to the York Co libraries:
Libraries

The largest shopping area is near the intersection of Jefferson Avenue and I-64, and includes the Patrick Henry Mall:
Patrick Henry Mall | Patrick Henry Mall's Website Home Page

Around the mall are several other big box stores like Target, Best Buy, Petsmart, Barnes and Noble, etc. This area is easily accessed from the areas you are considering and only 5 miles from Fort Eustis. With all of these stores, it does get quite congested in this area, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area