Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM

14 posts, read 88,624 times

Advertisements

Hello all
I am visiting William & Mary as soon as the current Ice Age is over. We missed the last guided session of the school (I am a transfer student), so it's going to be up to us to figure out what to do while there.
So my question is: What should we see or do in Williamsburg (or even at the college, for that matter) that's not especially geared toward tourists—what should we see or know that could be useful in case I do transfer?
I already know about the basics, but what can be said about Williamsburg that isn't on their tourism websites?
(For example, Sno To Go sounds exciting, and so does any out-of-the-way coffee shop. Anything weird or cool or something that I couldn't find here in Roanoke.)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
Locals do a lot of the things that tourists do. Take a walk around the restored area of CW,( students get free passes) Visit Jamestown and Yorktown, Take a drive down the Colonial Parkway. Are you a runner ? there are many scenic places to run around the area. Do you kayak ? ( little cold right now but many great places around town) Film buff ? Take in an interesting film @ The Kimball . It shows foreign, independent, and popular films, and also hosts live performances and special events for Colonial Williamsburg and the College.
Aromas is always a favorite coffee shop, Harbour Coffee in New Town as well, Explore New Town for other interesting shops, Do you mountain bike ? lots of interesting mt bike trails at Freedom Park, York River and New Quarter Park. Visit Waller Mill Park, W&M College Bookstore ( Barnes & Noble, Pauls Delly, College Delly, Green Leafe Cafe, Cheese Shop, . Concerts at W&M, the library, CW, hopefully Amphitheater, Busch Gardens, various venues around town, Ferguson Center at CNU, and Norfolk, VA Beach, Richmond. Art on the Square and the Occasion for the Arts are outdoor arts and crafts displays held in Merchants Square on Duke of Gloucester Street. The College of William & Mary has an orchestra, chorus, and a performing arts department that stage concerts and plays throughout the year.Muscarelle Museum of Art,
Swem Library, An athletic event at W&M ( we typically go to the football and basketball games),
McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center, the newly renovated Rec Center contains a large gymnasium, a new indoor soccer/hockey court, a climbing wall, racquetball and squash courts, a free-weight room and apparatus area, fitness studios for aerobic activity, personal training services, and a 25-yard, 8-lane pool. Visit Lake Matoaka and the amphitheater, Daily Grind ( student coffee house) Crim Dell, Sunken Garden, Mason School of Business,
The Williamsburg Library on Scotland Street regularly offers films, concerts, and lectures. Richmond and Tidewater are close enough to offer additional cultural opportunities.
If you haven't already done so explore the student blogs from W&M (http://www.wm.edu/blogs/studentblogs/index.php - broken link), The Flat Hat student and newspaper and The Va Informer ( unofficial student publication)
These are just a start hopefully others will add.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Colonial Parkway was one of my favorite places to hang! You can run on the Parkway, swim, bike, picnic! Love it!

Yorktown is also lovely! Again, you can swim at the (small) beach, eat, drink, walk around, etc.

Since you are a student, you may be looking for more night life than what Williamsburg and Yorktown offer. Norfolk and Va Beach are the weekend places to really hang out at bars and clubs.

You just have to find your niche and trust me, with so much to do, you will find it! Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
A past William and Mary just produced a video poking fun at living in Williamsburg and going to W&M take a look it's hilarious. Know that although he says its boring here he loved the experience.

Watch it here

Williamsburg State of Mind" is the first single from "Time on Our Hands," the second album from Michael and James. Special Thanks to Jason and Crispen Also, thanks to the Swem Media Center. T

Last edited by Mr Williamsburg; 02-18-2010 at 04:21 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 7,180 times
Smart Williamsburg locals visit Portsmouth! (My daughter attends W&M and brings her friends here for holidays--they've all enjoyed it and it's only 35 minutes away!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area