Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM

19 posts, read 41,675 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I am relocating from outside the continental U.S. to Pennsylvania for a job at Ft Indiantown Gap. My primary concern is where to live. I have a large dog and a cat, and need some sort of fenced yard - even if it is just small. Also prefer not too small of a place so I cna have friends and family visit. I grew up in small town midwest and have lived all over in the last 20 years - except for out east. I could be happy in town, or on the outskirts - just not too isolated and preferably toward the direction of Ft Indiantown Gap.
After reading many of the posts on the area it sounds like living within the city of Harrisburg and the outskirts (Colonial Park, Paxtonia) are do-able, but after searching assorted sites I have not found many decent rental options (plan on renting at least 6 months before I buy).
BTW - I love the outdoors, hiking, biking and space, but also love access to restaurants, clubs, conveniences, etc... I am a single professional and am really looking forward to the move.
Any suggestions, input will be greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Just noticed the sticky.

When are you moving? February 2012
Where are you coming from? Hawaii
Why are you moving? Job opportunity
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent a few months, then buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? House.
How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Prefer house or townhouse but a priority is at least a small fenced back yard. I'd like to stay under the $1400 mark.
Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Single, no kids, so schools not a concern.
Do you have pets? Big dog and fat cat.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet is nice, can handle some bustling if it is not to the annoying level.
What do you want to be closest to? Town or east of town or close in rural.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Some diversity is good. Just don't want to be the only one like me there!
Phillies, Pirates or Orioles? The Bears! (unless I find a good reason to convert!)

Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Night life in Harrisburg is pretty much 2nd street between North and Strawberry. Restaurants are centralized around 2nd and 3rd in the same area. If you live in town you'll have a hard time finding what you need, though. Harrisburg is a small city, it's easy to drive in and there are plenty of garages.

Harrisburg doesn't have any subways, but it does serve a the Amtrak hub between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

You'll be able to find a lot of what you're looking for in Colonial Park, which is a short drive to the city, about a half hour from The Gap, has a shopping mall and easy access to plenty of big box and department stores. It's a primarily white area with professional families.

Moving from Hawaii in February is certainly going to be a weather shock for you. Have you been to the continental US before, or experienced a winter in the north? Being a Bears fan, are you from Chicago? If so, then winter here will be easy to handle.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the information BTA88.

I have read in other posts that Colonial Park is easy access to the highway and has other conveniences. I have been trying to look for rentals via craigs list, realtor dot com (trying to avoid getting links posted on here) and rent dot com, but have been discouraged because I have not seen much in that area.
I did not realize Colonial Park would be a half an hour drive to the Gap. Are there any decent places closer to the Gap which are not too isolated?
Are there any good neighborhoods in Harrisburg itself? I would still be looking for a house and fenced back yard. The reason I ask about in town Harrisburg is that if there is a really good spot (where restaurants, etc are walkable to), I might accept a longer drive.
Any suggestions of other places online to search for rentals?

The move from Hawaii will be a weather shock - but I will adjust. It has only been in the upper 70's here lately, so that is helping me get used to the cold. I grew up in Illinois so am very familiar with the cold and snow - an the humid summers.

Thanks! And Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
You're going to be hard pressed to find a house with a yard in town. Anywhere you live is going to be about a half hour from The Gap, there's just not much up that way. Less time if you speed. Palmyra is a good area. Derry Township (Hershey) might be your best bet to combine some walkability while having a yard and being close to HBurg and The Gap.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
I lived most of my life in Lower Paxton and can't imagine why you'd want anything to do with Harrisburg. Check out Hershey or Lebanon.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM

175 posts, read 590,159 times
Listen to everyone else, stay away from Harrisburg. Check out Hershey, Annville, Lebanon, Palmyra, Grantville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area