Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? within the next 45 days
Where are you coming from? upper midwest
Why are you moving? Company transfer
Where will you be working? Camp Hill
Have you been here yet? No, will be making the move sight unseen- I know, not ideal

Will you buy or rent? Rent for the first year or two- I have 2 medium sized older dogs

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Looking for 1 BR apt in a safe neighborhood; can spend $700 maybe a bit more

Do you have pets? 2 dogs
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work- within 20 minutes
Shopping- No
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)- yes
Nightlife- No

I am considering a job transfer to Camp Hill. I wouldn't need to live in Camp Hill though and would be fine with a 20-25 minute commute. I am looking into Carlisle, but am open to other suggestions.

My primary concern is finding an apartment or cottage with a yard that will take my 2 dogs. There is no problem with putting down additional $ for a pet deposit.
Is this a pet-friendly area?

I am from the northeast so weather and driving isn't a problem.
This is all very last minute- and clearly isn't an ideal situation, but if it works out it would get me back to the east coast within the company so I wouldn't lose any seniority or benefits.

I am really torn- the move would be stressful but doable. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 AM

165 posts, read 232,379 times
To be honest finding a decent apartment in that area for 700 a month (not including pet fees) is going to be hard. It is possible to find that range but it will most likely be a low quality place and neighborhood. The decent places have gone up in price because the demand has picked up due to outsiders coming in the area. Some of the places will accept larger breeds (as long as the breed is not pit bulls, German Shepherd or any other breeds labelled aggressive). Many places have weight restrictions. One place you could look at is The Brook at Colonial Park, it is right off the highway, there is the Colonial Park Mall that has a CVS right across the street. There is a dentist and a library within walking distance, supermarkets are 5 minutes away. Even that place, a one bedroom will take you around 750-800 a month not including pet fees (probably 50 dollars a month for two pets) and paying for water and sewer (friend of mine says you pay like a percentage around 25 dollars a month). There is a big dog park located near Union Deposit Road about a 5-10 minute drive. The drive to Camp Hill is not a bad one depending on traffic. Camp Hill will cost more to live, you could also try Mechanicsburg (nicer area in my opinion).

Finding a place with a yard or fenced in area for your dogs that fits your budget will be hard. I can not emphasize enough that you need to find a way to get down to the area and see for yourself. Do not trust brochures or apartment sites. I knew people who moved to the area without seeing it first and I can tell you, these people did not last long here and I know of two others who did what you are planning and they are waiting till their leases end.

Unless you can find a way to come to the area, I would be very leery of leaving the area you are currently at. I hope someone can help with you with Carlisle, never lived there, so I can't comment on that town.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,849 times
Thank you for your reply Jahodor. I read some other posts along the lines of what you said. I agree that I need to come visit and get a feel for the place first. Finding suitable living arrangements to keep my dogs happy is a priority, so I am probably going to pass on this move.
Thanks again; I really appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebirds View Post
Thank you for your reply Jahodor. I read some other posts along the lines of what you said. I agree that I need to come visit and get a feel for the place first. Finding suitable living arrangements to keep my dogs happy is a priority, so I am probably going to pass on this move.
Thanks again; I really appreciate the feedback!
You are certainly welcome, and best of wishes for you and your four legged family members.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 AM

25 posts, read 51,633 times
there's a new development in Mechanicsburg called Meridian West Shore. A mix of apartments, townhouses and condos. I'm sure since it's new it will be more than $700 a month but it's in a good area, new and there's a dog park 5 minutes away.

I would also recommend looking for something in Mechanicsburg.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
I'm in the same boat. Except I'd only be moving from Williamsport, PA I've been to Harrisburg more times than I can count. I have a job offer there and the area has more economic options, but the housing is expensive. I'm trying to stay in the $700-900 a month range and I'm having a hard time finding something. Plus, I want it to be nice and in a nice neighborhood. I looked on the west shore around camp hill but it didn't have much luck. I'm starting think the area is over-priced for a blue collar worker that earns between 40-45k a year like me. I'm not living away and commuting, f*ck that! I might just stay where I'm at. Plus I don't want to sign a long lease then be in a bad spot financially

Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I'm in the same boat. Except I'd only be moving from Williamsport, PA I've been to Harrisburg more times than I can count. I have a job offer there and the area has more economic options, but the housing is expensive. I'm trying to stay in the $700-900 a month range and I'm having a hard time finding something. Plus, I want it to be nice and in a nice neighborhood. I looked on the west shore around camp hill but it didn't have much luck. I'm starting think the area is over-priced for a blue collar worker that earns between 40-45k a year like me. I'm not living away and commuting, f*ck that! I might just stay where I'm at. Plus I don't want to sign a long lease then be in a bad spot financially
If I was in your shoes, I would stay where you are at.

I was living in an apartment complex right outside Harrisburg, in 2013 I was paying $689 for a one bedroom, In 2014 I was paying $729 with no water and sewage fees. In 2015, had I renewed, it would have been around 800 dollars a month (including a fee on water and sewage). For people just moving to the apartment, the cost was even higher. It was no coincidence the price increases came with the mass arrival of people from outside the area driving up the demand. These apartments are not worth the cost and the job market in general for blue collar worker does not support these increases. It is not just Harrisburg, this goes for the west shore too.

There was also no way I was commuting long distances on I-81 or I-83 on a daily basis, so I moved out of state.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
If I was in your shoes, I would stay where you are at.

I was living in an apartment complex right outside Harrisburg, in 2013 I was paying $689 for a one bedroom, In 2014 I was paying $729 with no water and sewage fees. In 2015, had I renewed, it would have been around 800 dollars a month (including a fee on water and sewage). For people just moving to the apartment, the cost was even higher. It was no coincidence the price increases came with the mass arrival of people from outside the area driving up the demand. These apartments are not worth the cost and the job market in general for blue collar worker does not support these increases. It is not just Harrisburg, this goes for the west shore too.

There was also no way I was commuting long distances on I-81 or I-83 on a daily basis, so I moved out of state.
I-83 is a motherf*cker at certain times! The location of this potential job for me is on Paxton St. I actually looked apartments in the area of Union Deposit Rd and Colonial Park and they're a little cheaper over there

Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 PM

92 posts, read 116,243 times
I am also looking at housing/apartment options in the Camp Hill & Harrisburg area. As I am not familiar with the area, I was hoping to get away with $500-$600 for a one bedroom apartment (no pets), and that looks to be pretty darn near impossible unfortunately. There was one apartment building I had found that actually had a dog park on the premises...if I find it again; I'll post it here for you...may be something worth looking into!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampTrill View Post
I am also looking at housing/apartment options in the Camp Hill & Harrisburg area. As I am not familiar with the area, I was hoping to get away with $500-$600 for a one bedroom apartment (no pets), and that looks to be pretty darn near impossible unfortunately. There was one apartment building I had found that actually had a dog park on the premises...if I find it again; I'll post it here for you...may be something worth looking into!
The cheapest I found in the Camp Hill area is $800, but that's just price, I couldn't find any that were actually available. Most of the stuff that's available is $1,000 and up. The only places in PA where you are gonna find $500-$600 a month are the middle of nowhere or dumps/bad neighborhoods. PA is not that cheap of a state to live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area