Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A trio of local businessmen plan to launch an upscale Pittsburgh-to-Harrisburg bus service that will also link travelers to Amtrak destinations farther east.
The service is designed as an alternative to driving and to fill a void created by US Airways, which eliminated flights to the capital this summer.
Mr. Posner teamed with his business partner, Robert Pietrandrea, who is RDC's president, and George DeBolt, of DeBolt Unlimited Travel, to develop the bus service, which they've named the Steel City Flyer.
Service is slated to start Nov. 24 and will operate out of a Downtown station, stopping in Monroeville before heading to three stops in Harrisburg.
From there, travelers can connect to high-speed Amtrak service to such destinations as New York City, Philadelphia, Lancaster and Trenton, N.J., among others.
A one-way ticket costs $69. The group is also working on a through-ticketing plan with Amtrak, he said.
The bus, a 50-passenger Mercedes model with business class amenities, including WiFi service, will depart twice daily.
"This is going to be designed to connect from a schedule and ticket perspective, and it will be a good example of intermodalism," Mr. Posner said. "We're taking the best of two modes; the speed east of Harrisburg on the train, and the speed west of Harrisburg on the bus."
The service is the first of its kind in Pittsburgh, Mr. Posner said.
The men each are deeply rooted in transportation. Mr. DeBolt heads the Homestead-based tour bus company DeBolt Unlimited Travel, which provided bus service between Pittsburgh and neighboring communities in the days before the Port Authority was formed to cover the entire county.
Mr. Posner and Mr. Pietrandrea run Railroad Development Corp., a small rail management and investment company that privatizes former state-run railroads in Latin America, Africa and Eastern Europe.
The Pittsburgh-Harrisburg bus service is a joint venture between RDC and an affiliate of DeBolt Unlimited, Le Grand America.
"I'd had this idea for years, but with the flights I never really pushed it," Mr. DeBolt said. Mr. Posner approached him in August with the same idea. "We see this as the future of short-distance, intercity travel from Pittsburgh."
Sadie Gurman can be reached at sgurman@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1878.
Business trio launches luxury service to Harrisburg to fill US Airways' flight void
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM

23 posts, read 53,181 times
I come from an area of the country where you're pretty much dead in the water without a car. I just can't imagine the need for this being too overwhelming.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lellobeetle View Post
I come from an area of the country where you're pretty much dead in the water without a car. I just can't imagine the need for this being too overwhelming.
I see the transfer as a problem, the the bus image but more people are riding trains than in decades. who knows. I see it as a consequence of the lack of decent rail service to Pitt. I saw nearly 1.2 million people rode the Keystone between Philly and Harrisburg last year.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
That's a long time to be stuck on a bus. I wonder why they didn't mention more of the upscale features? WiFi service alone isn't that impressive. It's much cheaper to drive yourself.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM

looks to be about four hours. I guess it's better than the hound, wish they'd fix the train so it didn't take so long.

www.steelcityflyer.com.

New Harrisburg bus service a Capitol gain for Pittsburgh

Old 11-09-2008, 10:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
The price seems a bit steep to me.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
It may not be such a bad idea. My wife has been spending a lot of time in Philly lately. She refuses to fly into that airport after so many bad experiences, so on more than one occasion I have driven her there. Sure, it's cheaper if you drive it compared to the 69 bucks on the Flyer. But, a plane ticket on short notice will cost you close to 450 bucks, thank you USAir and Gov. Rendell.

Sitting in a bus for 4 hours with all the amenities might be worth it to a lot of business travelers fed up with airline service, or lack of.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:22 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
I forgot how horrid the turnpike can be until I was on it Saturday night. They have a whole lot of nerve charging to use it. It's been under construction for years where I get on. No white lines in the far right lane just some scattered orange cones and barrier walls, very narrow lanes, tight curves, awful for driving at night.

With that in mind and considering the high airfares, maybe a luxury bus ride for $70 isn't too bad of a deal.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I forgot how horrid the turnpike can be until I was on it Saturday night. They have a whole lot of nerve charging to use it. It's been under construction for years where I get on. No white lines in the far right lane just some scattered orange cones and barrier walls, very narrow lanes, tight curves, awful for driving at night.

With that in mind and considering the high airfares, maybe a luxury bus ride for $70 isn't too bad of a deal.
For me, the key will be the through ticketing. For example, if it is $70 with the train segment I'll be happy. Philly airport is hit or miss. It's well used and lacks the needed capacity for the volume it has. OTOH, Southwest also flies 6x's a day between the cities I believe. US Air has improved baggage claim dramatically...and it's been ranked as one fo the best airports to be delayed in (good thing too). OTOH, weather is unpredictable. Hmm, well if she tries it, let us know how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area