Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Advertisements

Well, The Bus isn't really considered "transit" it's not fancy enough like a tourist bus to be anything so grand as "transit", it's just The Bus. On Oahu, The Bus has been around for decades, it was there before folks started using the terms such as "public transportation", or "public transit", or a "transit system" it's always just been "the bus".

Generally folks in Hawaii are pretty straightforward when it comes to naming things. If it is a bus, it's a bus - not a "transit system".

We visited Seattle earlier this year and that's one city that has some seriously good public transportation figured out! With one ORCA card (I forget what that's an acronym for) you can get on two different bus systems, the light rail, Amtrak and the ferry system. All the different types of transportation were very clean and no graffiti anywhere and the folks were extremely polite. Hopefully someday Hawaii can have a similar system although that was just in one city area and we'd have to make one for the whole state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM

20 posts, read 51,258 times
I thought Oahu had a transit system already as well. Doesn't it?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Oahu has The Bus. That's it. They are building a light rail system, but it's not done yet. If it's anything like the Nimitz overpass or H3 it will take decades to build. There was "The Boat" which was part of a public transportation system, but that's not there anymore. There was a ferry to Maui, but that's not there anymore either. So, it's back to just "The Bus" for their public transportation system. At least they have that, the rest of the islands have a lot less.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
Does the bus run from Hickam AFB to the Hale Koa motel? Even if I have to transfer?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Yes, it does. Here's the website for "The Bus" on Oahu: TheBus Home Page That will have times and routes and everything you need to know to get around on Oahu.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Does the bus run from Hickam AFB to the Hale Koa motel? Even if I have to transfer?
Yeah, it looks like Bus #19 is what you want. You can get the schedule at TheBus Home Page. It looks like the trip takes about 1.5 hours, FWIW.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
TheBus is public transportation and part of the county transit system. Right now it's only TheBus and the Handicap Vans. The rail is coming and the TheBoat has stopped runing. But it's part of the public transit system.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
Oahu has a great bus system. They do not have a RAIL system yet. Perhaps in another 10-20 years they will have a RAIL system. There are not enough people to support a rail system. The cost to build a rail system is billions and would require condemning expensive real estate. The total population is about 1 million. The rail would serve perhaps 50,000 people. They would have to take the bus to the stations or drive to the station and pay to park. Most people in the area that would be served would just use the bus. The bus drops people near there homes. Riders would have to wait for the bus then wait for the rail to save perhaps 10 minutes or less.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:50 PM

53 posts, read 135,624 times
What happened to the boat service on Oahu?

I've spent a lot of my life living car free.. I'm lucky enough to live in a city where transport is extensive, linked (tram, train, bus all on the same ticket) and inexpensive. People who never lived anywhere else complain constantly about it having no idea how superior it is to many places. Anyway.. I am always interested in public transport in the Islands!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 PM

255 posts, read 882,129 times
Yeah..why would they stop "the boat"? Seeing as there are 8 islands? I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: