Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:34 AM

8 posts, read 11,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Kelly, what do you like to do? Beaches, shopping, exploring??? The Big Island is definitely a "change of pace from Maui" -- it's a lot slower! What are you looking for in a "nice area"?
Maui reminded me of CA in a way, I was staying in Kihei and Makena.
My aunt and uncle live on BI, in Oceanview, which is like FAR from either of the main airports. I guess an hour and a half drive to the airport wouldn't be so bad...but they have to schedule their shopping trips to Costco. They built their own place "off the grid" and get lots of "VOG" issues. I don't know how they do it, but they do I got sick of island living all together and moved back to the mainland Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauigenie View Post
Maui is great except when the vog rolls in, the cane is burning and it has been without rain for three months. Dry, hot and dusty. Expensive too and the medical care is just terrible. Still, I cling to the palm trees and the ocean scenery not wishing to let go no matter that we pay the most for gas and food here.
You must live in Kihei with us! Much wetter and cooler on other parts of Maui. The vog comes from the Big Island (for those non-island readers), so don't think it is only on Maui.

I should start a calendar that marks the days when we are affected by vog and/or cane burning. I think the perception is that one or both are going on much more than reality would prove. We are so used to clear, non-polluted skies on a daily basis, that when something rolls over it really stands out. SF Bay Area or Los Angeles dwellers might think our skies pretty clear even when we do have the cane snow.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,097 times
How is Medical Care on the Big Island? My husband is diabetic. Which is better for families Hilo or Kona? We are thinking of moving there with our 2 kids that are 11 and 13 yrs. old. Thanks

Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2410 View Post
How is Medical Care on the Big Island? My husband is diabetic. Which is better for families Hilo or Kona? We are thinking of moving there with our 2 kids that are 11 and 13 yrs. old. Thanks
My wife and I have friends and family on the BI (she's from there), and from what we hear, finding good healthcare can be a problem. Because of high malpractice insurance costs and lower-than-average insurance payments from insurance companies, doctors have left Hawaii in large numbers, particularly in the outer islands. It can be difficult to find a doctor who accepts new patients. For some procedures, you have to fly to Honolulu, where the situation is better. One friend of ours in Kona recently moved her elderly mother from Honolulu to Kona. It took a while to find a doctor for her mother, but the positive side is that the doctor is much friendlier than the one she had in Honolulu. My wife and I want to retire to Hawaii in a few years, so we've been following the healthcare situation. Everyone agrees that they need reforms in their health-insurance and malpractice laws, but there are a lot of political interests at stake.

As for which side of the island is better to raise a family, that may be a matter of personal preference. Hilo (my wife's home town) is small, laid-back, slow-paced, charming, and not at all touristy. I've found the people to be extremely warm and friendly, and family is very important -- at least in my wife's family and circle of friends. I don't know that the same isn't true for Kailua-Kona, but that side of the island is geared toward tourism. The Kona side is drier, and it's where the sandy beaches and resort hotels are. (The Hilo-side beaches are mostly lava rock.) Whereas Hilo feels more like an old-style Polynesian town, Kailua feels more like a Southern California town -- more modern, more crowded, a bit faster-paced, and with more shopping and restaurants. I'm speaking relatively: it's not Honolulu, and it's certainly not Los Angeles. I like Kailua and Kona equally, for different reasons, but most people tend to prefer one over the other. You might also consider Waimea, which is smaller and is located between Kailua and Hilo. It's an artsy town and has a good hospital.

I'm presuming you've read the other threads on here about the job situation (do you have jobs lined up?), cultural differences, educational system, etc. As others will tell you, if you haven't already done so, you should check out Hilo and Kailua-Kona on a vacation and see which appeals to you more, before you make plans to move.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:38 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2410 View Post
Please take some time to read through the many discussions on this forum about schools on the Big Island. You didn't say why you are thinking of moving here, but the quality of schools should be a major consideration for where you choose to live or even if you should move at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii