Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM

26 posts, read 75,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
^ Thanks for your comment Dreaming of Hawaii. I don't mind Jonah poking a little fun at me.Its all in good fun. One of the reasons I love living here as well, is no freeways(I live in Maui, not Oahu). My wife was nearly killed on a freeway in California awhile back. Some person cut her off, and she slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting him. Her car flipped over twice, and her airbag didn't even deplete. The car was completely totaled, and she walked away without a scratch...thanks to the seatbelt! After this situation, we just realize how precious life is on this frail little planet that we live on. One minute you are here, the next you aren't. I'm incredibly humbled and blessed every day to live in such a beautiful place with beautiful people.
Hey Dr. Vox, thanks for sharing your pleasant post about living in Hawaii. Unfortunately, the inevitable slam was just around the corner after you hit the submit button.

From what you have written about yourself and wife, you two seem to be the type of people that should be living in Hawaii. I don't think there's anything that needs to be defended here. You both have the right attitude and outlook.

I was especially touched by your comment regarding your wife's accident. First off, I am relieved she is okay. Secondly, the experience serves as a reminder and motivator about the briefness of life. Thanks for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

145 posts, read 491,057 times
^ I have found living here, and in life in general, that the more you give, the more you get in return. I'm not talking about financial gains, but just an deeper understanding and connection to other people. My wife and I don't have kids, so we don't worry about the school system. We do lots of volunteer work here on Maui. Its a wonderful time to meet people.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
^ I have found living here, and in life in general, that the more you give, the more you get in return. I'm not talking about financial gains, but just an deeper understanding and connection to other people. My wife and I don't have kids, so we don't worry about the school system. We do lots of volunteer work here on Maui. Its a wonderful time to meet people.
I am so with you on this. But I have noticed what DoH was talking about... that there are a lot of cynical people lurking around just waiting to slam you for saying something like this.

No matter. I've been on the planet long enough to know what works for me, and what doesn't, and yes, I totally agree that the more you give, the more you get in return.

And having experienced and survived a horrific motorcycle accident myself while living in Seattle, I do live in a daily appreciation of life too.

Many blessings,
OpenD

Last edited by OpenD; 03-28-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
If one lives in Hawai'i long enough, folks will refer to you as "Uncle" or "Auntie", even if there are no directly traceable blood or kinship ties. Thus, we are all one big 'ohana (or "family"). Like families, folks in Hawai'i will fuss and fight, gossip, and stick their noses in each other's business; however, we are also bound together by the shared experience of living on a group of volcanic rocks in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Our language, customs, and folkways have developed over generations and they are part of what makes us "Hawaiian." Another part of what makes us "Hawaiian" is our relationship to the 'āina (or "land"). For many folks in Hawai'i, the land is a "relative" to be cherished and taken care of, not a "commodity" to be bought and sold. Unfortunately, many of the schools in Hawai'i have forced Western culture and ways of thinking upon the children of Hawai'i, which emphasizes individualism over collectivism.

The children of Hawai'i are its future, so I worry about the school system and take an active role in trying to improve it. I want the kids of Hawai'i to see the benefits of learning math, science, history, and language so that they can aspire to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, teachers, college professors, etc. as well as athletes or entertainers. I want the kids of Hawai'i to know and practice the qualities of alaka'i (or "leadership"), such as mālama ("caring"), ha'aha'a ("humility"), kupono ("integrity"), na'auao ("intelligence" or "wisdom"), koa ("courage"), and akeakamai ("competiveness"). I want the kids of Hawai'i to try and make it a better place than what their parents will leave them. These were the some of things that were passed on to me by previous generations in Hawai'i and what I hope to pass on to future generations.

Unfortunately, Hawaiians often "give their more, to receive their less."
212 dig sites dot rail leg - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

Many folks that have recently moved to Hawai'i or want to move to Hawai'i don't necessarily want to know about anything that can be possibly construed as being somewhat controversial or "negative." Local politics, budget crises, invasive species, etc. are all "part and parcel" of life in "paradise." While some folks in Hawai'i can wax poetic about its natural beauty, weather, and people and write platitudes such as the "more you give, the more you get in return", some folks are a little more jaundiced. Having one's great-great-great grandparents dug up to make way for a "much-needed" Wal-Mart or rail system tends to do that.

There's a saying in Hawaiian that goes as follows: "No nehinei a'e no; heaha ka 'ike?"

Translated to English, it means: "He just arrived yesterday; what does he know?"

For Hawaiians, it reminds us that malihini (newcomers) aren't going to know everything there is to know about Hawai'i and to share our knowledge with them. It also reminds us that malihini know things that we don't and that we should learn from them. While many Hawaiians are able to see things through the eyes of a malihini, few malihini care to see things through the eyes of a Hawaiian.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,559 times
It not bad place to retire to and second i would not spent the money to move my things there if i had not thought it would be the place for me ..

Old 03-31-2011, 12:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Great post, Jonah! I learned new words! No wonder humility and intelligence are hard to come by when they are difficult to pronounce. Hawaiian words seem easier to read out loud than to read silently, though. I wonder why that is?

Eventually, if the malihini stick around, don't you think that some of Hawaii's values rub off on them? They call it "slowing down" but I think it's more than that. Learning about community if nothing else, I'd think.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM

150 posts, read 415,788 times
Jonah K, I wish your last post was your first response to Vox. If you feel the malahini are living in an unreality when they move here the best thing to do is educate with aloha - just like you did in your last post. When our family came here I struggled with the fact that my being here would be adding to the woes of the local population. I vowed to contribute or leave. Although not political by nature, I feel I can help in more social work basis and on a more individual level. I thank you for keeping up with the politicians. It was hard for me to follow on the mainland as well, but I am glad someone like you can.

Just to add to "Why I love living in Hawaii":
Driving north on Pi'ilani Hwy here in Maui, the far right lane I was in stopped somewhat quickly. 6 or 7 cars ahead of me someone had pulled over to grab a hitch hiker but couldn't get over far enough to not block the lane a bit. As they seemed to discuss the details of the ride, a hand full of cars stopped behind me as well. No one honked, just waited for the guy to jump in with his stuff and we were all on our way. Yes, the waiting could be a hassle if I was in a rush to get somewhere but it's the impatience and honking that can stress anybody out. It's just nice to not freak out about it.

Last edited by NandVsMom; 03-31-2011 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Great post, Jonah! I learned new words! No wonder humility and intelligence are hard to come by when they are difficult to pronounce. Hawaiian words seem easier to read out loud than to read silently, though. I wonder why that is?
Mahalo nui! For me, English is the language that's difficult. It lacks the nuances of Hawaiian and what can be expressed in a single word in Hawaiian often takes several words in English. Prior to the arrival of the American missionaries, there was no standardized system for written Hawaiian. Although the missionaries eventually settled on one letter for each sound that they thought they heard, spoken Hawaiian is a little different from what was actually written down. Allophones, like "B" and "P", "L" and "R", "K" and "T", and "V" and "W", actually represent single sounds in Hawaiian; however, the missionaries wanted to simplify things and decided not to use the letters "B", "R", "T" and "V" to represent the sounds that they heard. It's somewhat interesting to listen to people attempt to pronounce the word "Hawai'i." Some folks will make a "W" sound, while others will make a "V" sound -- when the actual sound is something between the two. So if Hawaiian words seem easier to read out loud than to read silently, blame it on the missionaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Eventually, if the malihini stick around, don't you think that some of Hawaii's values rub off on them? They call it "slowing down" but I think it's more than that. Learning about community if nothing else, I'd think.
Yes, if the malihini stick around long enough some of the customs and values of Hawai'i may rub off on them. However, the malihini are also contributing their values and customs to the people of Hawai'i, so it's a "two-way street." As a result, folks in Hawai'i move a little "faster" nowadays, compared to the past. We have freeways, airports, harbors, shopping malls, etc. We're also in the age of high-speed internet, satellite television, MTV, Facebook, Twitter, etc. so we aren't as isolated as we once were. We are bombarded with cultural influences from around the world and remembering and retaining what's Hawaiian can be somewhat challenging.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If one lives in Hawai'i long enough, folks will refer to you as "Uncle" or "Auntie", even if there are no directly traceable blood or kinship ties. Thus, we are all one big 'ohana (or "family"). Like families, folks in Hawai'i will fuss and fight, gossip, and stick their noses in each other's business; however, we are also bound together by the shared experience of living on a group of volcanic rocks in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Our language, customs, and folkways have developed over generations and they are part of what makes us "Hawaiian." Another part of what makes us "Hawaiian" is our relationship to the 'āina (or "land"). For many folks in Hawai'i, the land is a "relative" to be cherished and taken care of, not a "commodity" to be bought and sold. Unfortunately, many of the schools in Hawai'i have forced Western culture and ways of thinking upon the children of Hawai'i, which emphasizes individualism over collectivism.

The children of Hawai'i are its future, so I worry about the school system and take an active role in trying to improve it. I want the kids of Hawai'i to see the benefits of learning math, science, history, and language so that they can aspire to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, teachers, college professors, etc. as well as athletes or entertainers. I want the kids of Hawai'i to know and practice the qualities of alaka'i (or "leadership"), such as mālama ("caring"), ha'aha'a ("humility"), kupono ("integrity"), na'auao ("intelligence" or "wisdom"), koa ("courage"), and akeakamai ("competiveness"). I want the kids of Hawai'i to try and make it a better place than what their parents will leave them. These were the some of things that were passed on to me by previous generations in Hawai'i and what I hope to pass on to future generations.

Unfortunately, Hawaiians often "give their more, to receive their less."
212 dig sites dot rail leg - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

Many folks that have recently moved to Hawai'i or want to move to Hawai'i don't necessarily want to know about anything that can be possibly construed as being somewhat controversial or "negative." Local politics, budget crises, invasive species, etc. are all "part and parcel" of life in "paradise." While some folks in Hawai'i can wax poetic about its natural beauty, weather, and people and write platitudes such as the "more you give, the more you get in return", some folks are a little more jaundiced. Having one's great-great-great grandparents dug up to make way for a "much-needed" Wal-Mart or rail system tends to do that.

There's a saying in Hawaiian that goes as follows: "No nehinei a'e no; heaha ka 'ike?"

Translated to English, it means: "He just arrived yesterday; what does he know?"

For Hawaiians, it reminds us that malihini (newcomers) aren't going to know everything there is to know about Hawai'i and to share our knowledge with them. It also reminds us that malihini know things that we don't and that we should learn from them. While many Hawaiians are able to see things through the eyes of a malihini, few malihini care to see things through the eyes of a Hawaiian.
I've noticed that there is a class of people here who have a vacation mindset. They constantly post pictures on Facebook of rainbows and flowers and talk about how awesome their day was. Usually they happen to have a lot of money from previous endeavors and don't work much. They avoid local politics and news like the plague, unless it has to do with some kind of cultural event they can go and enjoy.

They seem like neo-colonialists to me. It took me a year to figure it out, but that must be what I find vaguely offensive about them.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,936 times
Default nice

Quote:
What a breath of fresh air, Hawai'i has been from California. It feels like taking a trip back in time to a time when people moved a little slower, and would wave to you if they didn't even know your name. I have had only one experience in regards to me being a haole here in a span of one year, but the majority of locals here and incredibly friendly and down to earth, and will go out of there way to actually help you. I found living in California, people tended to be in a bit more of a hurry. Most would still help out, but not to the extent the people in Hawai'i do.
I love the people, I love the weather, I love how things move slowly around here, I love how people will wave at you and say, "hello", even if they don't know you. There are just too many great things to name. I love the quiet and peaceful life here.
If only Hawai'i had the overall taxes of a state like Nevada, and the property taxes of Washington, this place would be about as close to heaven on earth as humanly possible.
Well im glad to hear you like it but it turns out only a few states like new York cali...and the Like are like. People were awesome when I lived in Florida Mississippi Michigan and Alabama. Wish I could have read more about why you love it....that doesn't set it apart too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii