Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
The projects you don't need or want, you mean. You feel you need your pension, so that should be sacrosanct, but other people's requirements for public transporation, healthcare, education, or the environment should be thrown out along with the hard-earned rights of state workers. Perhaps the agenda put forth should not be austerity at all; there are alternatives, that will allow the state to put more funds, not less, into public programs.
The state doesn't need to put MORE funds into programs!
They need to put LESS funds into programs!

There isn't a single department in the state that could not get by with a 10% cut in their budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post

There isn't a single department in the state that could not get by with a 10% cut in their budget.
That sounds good in theory... But in reality when they cut the budget by 10% you don't see 10% lower taxes. You do see state workers laid off, for furloughed, which means they spend less at local businesses.

I for one am getting the out of Hawaii as soon as I can. It's hard enough to afford living here as it is, much less when they furlough you. My semi-unique skills and my education are leaving this state permanently and all it saved taxpayers was about $2000.

How about cutting that $5.5 billion raised rail between Kapolei and Honolulu? I'll never see that rail in my life, and even the vast majority of people on Oahu will never use it. Spend a few measly million for a god damn ferry so we can join the rest of the developed world.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:

I agree. Many Federal, state, and local government departments "pad" their budgets to insure that they receive adequate funding. Near the end of the "budget cycle", it's not uncommon for some government departments to go on a "spending spree" to use up any extra funds.

Bureaucrats and elected officials aren't necessarily "on the same page" when it comes to reducing government spending. A bureaucrat "pads" a budget by 15%, an elected official cuts the "padded budget" by 10%, everyone's happy, and budget deficits continue to increase.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I agree. Many Federal, state, and local government departments "pad" their budgets to insure that they receive adequate funding. Near the end of the "budget cycle", it's not uncommon for some government departments to go on a "spending spree" to use up any extra funds.

Bureaucrats and elected officials aren't necessarily "on the same page" when it comes to reducing government spending. A bureaucrat "pads" a budget by 15%, an elected official cuts the "padded budget" by 10%, everyone's happy, and budget deficits continue to increase.
I can't speak for anyone else but I think our department ended up not spending its entire budget. Also, when we do things like use our personal vehicles for field work, we don't send the County a reimbursement request unless it was a lot of miles and gallons of gas. They sent me for training on Oahu a few weeks ago and I didn't eat out and request reimbursements, I got food from Foodland for cheap.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,386 times
here is some of the areas we could cut the budget ..

the prison system

have the prisoners grow there own food and work the land

make them get out of the cell and make work on the local area projects like road clean up and other areas to help save the state money ..

no extras programs they work a 6 day a week from dawn to dusk there only day off is sunday and that is the family vist day for so many hours..

if they do not work no family vist day or phone calls home that day ..

if the prisoners do not work or refuse to work they are made to stand up outside there tents intill the other prisoners come home like they do at Angola prison in LA

like make them go out and clean up areas like state parks and older folks homes and have them paint and clean the yards and other things to make them pay back all most 100 to 1 ratio for there crimes ..

plus any job that they can do for there room and board then make them do it

put them in tents and put the CO on horse back and make prisoner to get basic medical care and give there medical to the people who really need it

take the hard core one out to the island that the US Navy used to use for target pratice and put them on it and tell them to make it liveable by removeing the live ordance and they get blow up TS on that one there one who broke the law by killing someone or rape

one who survives there sentence after will be allowed back in area

Last edited by henry1; 03-30-2011 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,819 times
could be a good idea henry.... only here in Hawaii they would have to be unionized wouldnt they??? (joke)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,115 times
Quote:

What about the programs or jobs that already went through a 10% cut last year you want for them to take another cut?
Not to be a pain but just a thought

How about cutting jobs altogether ? like the Governors job and his retirement. and donʻt get me started on all the new posts he has appointed

Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM

206 posts, read 466,186 times
Quote:

The state could certainly spend some money creating green jobs to make the islands food and energy self-sufficient and no longer dependent on tourism. I also think if the rail on Oahu will decrease the massive traffic congestion there, it's probably a good thing, alongside a new ferry system.

Decriminalizing marijuana is a constitutional way to decrease the prison population.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 PM

$5.5 billion rail project... that comes out to about $5k per resident.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
The state could certainly spend some money creating green jobs to make the islands food and energy self-sufficient and no longer dependent on tourism. I also think if the rail on Oahu will decrease the massive traffic congestion there, it's probably a good thing, alongside a new ferry system.

Decriminalizing marijuana is a constitutional way to decrease the prison population.
Sorry.

The state's DEMOCRATIC leaders already rescinded the high tech tax credits to firms that have now caused a drop in employment by those same firms.

They offered a carrot, then withdrew it. A-Holes.

The Democrats (thru their buddies in the Green Party, among others) worked hard to eliminate the SuperFerry.

Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: