Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What don't you understand about not paying a living wage being wrong? The union is powerless here. We can't go on strike when so many are prohibited by law. Think about that for a second... striking is illegal. What about the Constitution? Regardless of who is doing the job, someone has to do it, for the pay that they give.

Someone will always work as a lifeguard and save your rich ass for $12/hr. Someone will always pick vegetables in California for $3/hr. Someone will build iPhones for 5 cents a day. That doesn't mean it's right. That's why we have things like a minimum wage, because the free market creates a race to the bottom in wages. But every state needs to go a step further and institute living wage laws, like what Australia has. The minimum there is something like $15/hr.
Wink - don't you make like $36K a year - or $17/hr? What do you want? You're above Australia - and our taxes are certainly lower.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM

By the way, have you ever been to Australia? It is across the board far more expensive than Maui.

Here is the menu of a place I like to go in Sydney - its mid range - better than a Chili's - but not a Mortons. Chicken Sandwich - over $20 and the currency conversion is about the same.

Everything in Sydney more expensive than Maui - housing, food, beer, groceries, cars (a lot more), etc.....

http://themeatandwineco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/menu1.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-09-2012 at 10:40 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Wink - don't you make like $36K a year - or $17/hr? What do you want? You're above Australia - and our taxes are certainly lower.
Yes, I have a degree, technical skills, and I'm in a union, and I make slightly more than an Australian working at Starbucks! And what do you have to say to the lifeguard who gets paid $12/hr?

Australia's tax rates are pretty reasonable. Income tax in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'd be paying $4650 there + about 5% income tax on employers. Here I pay about 20% of my income in federal and state taxes not including the employer portion of payroll tax, plus I have to pay for private health insurance which they don't in Australia. Including the "employer portion" that's over $300.

So how much of their paychecks do Australians actually get? My take home pay is 2/3 of mine.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have a degree, technical skills, and I'm in a union, and I make slightly more than an Australian working at Starbucks! And what do you have to say to the lifeguard who gets paid $12/hr?

Australia's tax rates are pretty reasonable. Income tax in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'd be paying $4650 there + about 5% income tax on employers. Here I pay about 20% of my income in federal and state taxes not including the employer portion of payroll tax, plus I have to pay for private health insurance which they don't in Australia. Including the "employer portion" that's over $300.

So how much of their paychecks do Australians actually get? My take home pay is 2/3 of mine.
Tax on your take home pay is the least of the cost of living issues in Australia......

Clearly the State of Hawaii values your skills less than you do.....

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM

A GIS analyst in the New South Wales government makes $85k!

https://jobsnsw.taleo.net/careersect.../jobdetail.ftl

This is the lowest GIS salary I've seen, $54k-68k. http://www.lgjobs.com.au/posting?id=38133

How hard is it to get an Australian work visa?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
A GIS analyst in the New South Wales government makes $85k!

https://jobsnsw.taleo.net/careersect.../jobdetail.ftl

This is the lowest GIS salary I've seen, $54k-68k. GIS Analyst - Spatial Systems :: LGJobs

How hard is it to get an Australian work visa?
Very hard. Wink - if nobody is willing to pay you more than $36K in Hawaii doesn't that make you fairly paid? Anyway - you can't get a visa for GIS it isn't specialized enough.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Very hard. Wink - if nobody is willing to pay you more than $36K in Hawaii doesn't that make you fairly paid? Anyway - you can't get a visa for GIS it isn't specialized enough.
There are only 3 employers of GIS technicians in this entire county, the county, the state, and a company called Akimeka. Akimeka has gone through at least 3 GIS people in the past couple years. One was a lady who my boss recommended to them, and she left after a few months to move back to Oahu. The next was a guy who came from New Mexico, and now a year later they have a new guy. They don't seem to mind the high turnover. They interviewed me I think it went well, considering I had experience in the exact work they wanted and gave one of their guys some advice on how to do it a couple months before... But I asked for $50k and when they pressed me I said I'd take $45k. I don't think they were willing to pay that.

So really the only options are the county and the state, and I'm not sure the state has any techs here, I was just assuming. So it's just the county. If a GIS analyst job opens up, I'd qualify for it because I have the experience and the degree. But no one is quitting or retiring. I do the same job as the analysts and work just as hard (except for the one who does all the fire and police work, she's insanely busy).

Last edited by winkosmosis; 04-09-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
... But every state needs to go a step further and institute living wage laws, like what Australia has. The minimum there is something like $15/hr.
Then you can buy your $1 McDonald's cheapie burger for $4. It is all relevant. You can't have everyone making more without everything costing more.

Look at Europe and their VAT (value added tax). It can be up to 40%!
The new car that costs $25k here is just over $40k there!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:

Some one on an average Income of $65,000 takes home $51,000 or 78.5% of their wage.

On a $40,000 your take home pay is $34,950 or 87.4% or your wage.

On $20,000 you wont pay any tax at all from the 1st July 2012.

On $200,000 your take home pay is $132,00 or 66% of your income.

No state income taxes in Australia of course.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Then you can buy your $1 McDonald's cheapie burger for $4. It is all relevant. You can't have everyone making more without everything costing more.

Look at Europe and their VAT (value added tax). It can be up to 40%!
The new car that costs $25k here is just over $40k there!
Labor is only a portion of the cost of products. A burger isn't going to quadruple in price because the workers are paid $15 instead of $7.25. You know how little man hours are actually spent making the burger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: