Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,021 times

Advertisements

Some of us crazy Canadians would like to start a business in Maui. Not really interested in staying there (at this time) as we still have commitments here.

Is this endeavor worth investigating?
Don't expect start-up will be hassle free but how much hassle would it be to even obtain the necessary permits (immigration probably)?
What else is involved?
What else should we consider?

Any input and information will be appreciated. We tried looking into this by asking a Cdn accountant (who is familiar with US tax) but was directed to Immigration.

Checked out the US Immigration website but got to confused.

Thank you all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
There was a Canadian couple who started a business in a nearby small town. They were doing well and the business was profitable. However, there was a requirement that they hire so many local folks and they didn't meet that requirement so after several years they quit and went back to Canada. They also got a divorce at the same time, so there may have been other reasons for the business to fail, but the one they mentioned was the requirement to hire a certain number of local folks.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 15,528 times
Default possible partnership

Hi Hawaiiluver,
My wife and I are starting to plan our move to Hawaii. The recession hit us pretty hard in 2008, so we can't retire fulltime yet, but we want to move asap.( I'm sitting here on April 18, looking out over a snow covered fairway, and still frozen lake, and at 61 , 30 years at a ski resort is enough. )
I have my US citizenship, and we both have backgrounds in hospitality, retail, restaurant, and sales, however, I doubt we are that employable on the Islands , due to age discrimination. We would be interested in starting up, or buying a business, with some financial help from a partner. I'd be interested in hearing what your ideas are. Cheers from Whistler, Al

Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,021 times
Hotzcatz: What a shame for things to end that way for that couple. Do you happen to know how many local folks are required for businesses in Hawaii?

How would we go about finding these rules? We don't even begin to know how or where to start!

WhistlerAl: 30 years at a ski resort? Wow! Enough is enough indeed. Were you thinking of going to sunny Hawaii? When we look at the snow and feel the cold we think of Hawaii too!

As you probably know, starting a business is a huge endeavor. As we said above, we don't even know where to start to look at rules and such. Do you happen to know?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM

406 posts, read 865,844 times
I would start at https://hbe.ehawaii.gov/BizEx/home.e...123ACD10.kolea and hawaii.gov and Business Resources — Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism . There will be lots of info, forms, and online help available, along with phone numbers and addresses.

Also check The Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii and Hawaii Business Magazine - Industry, Employers, Finance - Honolulu, HI .

And then there are registration and licenses at Business Registration (BREG) — Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs and Regulations, Licensing & Permits — Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism .

Don't forget google is your friend.

Oh, most important for our Canadian (and other country) friends, Apply for US Immigration Services: USCIS, Green Card, US Citizenship, US Visas, Forms .

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: