Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 AM

101 posts, read 249,603 times

Advertisements

How much does it cost to register a car in Hawaii? We've looked at the government sites and they don't give any rates. Here in Seattle we pay less than $125 per year to license our Jeep and our SUV. Our boat registration is $25 per year.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,204 times
Am not real sure on everything but I know that it is based on weight of vehicle. Example we have a 1999 Jaguar which weighs 4000 pounds our registration fee for this year was 298.00. There is also something about bringing your car over here if it is just a couple of years old (not sure) that you also must pay Hawaii sales tax on your car even if you just paid sales tax where you bought the car. I'm sure someone else on here may have more accurate advice on the subject. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
Didn't ship car or boat from WA. It is my experience on BI 99 Honda CRV on island with plates.. $103 yr with also your safty sticker. Yearly $20-25 where you go. Sail boat to Hawaii? Or shipping is gonna be massive. Was gonna buy a 17ft boat on trailer ship from Seattle was cheapest $4000 over.

Boat trailer tags - didn't register small porta boat for 2 yrs it was over $100 for tags back years - again gota get saftey for trailer. Not sure if your gonna have trailer. Don't remember SO having to have boat tags but maybe.

For boat trailer and plates on car when you land. You will pay for plates... have to go get safty sticker. you will be failed safety because you don't have tabs (you have to have tabs to pass safty along with insurance from Hawaii) then you take the failed saftey back to DMV and they will give you tabs. Then take back to safty to get safty. This also goes for boat trailiers. Also don't do end of the month because nobody has safty stickers end of the month - don't want to order too many. Early month make an appointment because it is busy for saftys.

Same process for the trailer sticker if you have for the boat. I have Farmers insurance in WA. WA will not give me a multiple car discount with Hawaiian car but Hawaiian Farmers will with policy number in WA. If you get a Bank in Hawaii, a Foodland card (like safeway card) and Hawaiian Airlines you will get more discounts off insurance. You can get Hawaiian miles card before you go over if you don't have. Also when you get Bank of Hawaii card any use on debit card (or credit) you will aquire miles from Hawaiian airlines. For high coverage more than minimum on 99 CRV with discounts (more if miltary) I pay $456 for 6 months for full coverage.

And by the way if you put car into storage with insurance they cover liabilty for trees etc. But you have to drive to Insurance company when the policy starts again to have insurance company to inspect for saftey before collision starts again. Meaning when I go back to Hawaii in Oct I will have no collision till I drive 30 miles for them to inspect even if I am paying at the time. Hope that helps.

No fishing license needed though!!! and as many poles as you want.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 04-30-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
Am not real sure on everything but I know that it is based on weight of vehicle. Example we have a 1999 Jaguar which weighs 4000 pounds our registration fee for this year was 298.00. There is also something about bringing your car over here if it is just a couple of years old (not sure) that you also must pay Hawaii sales tax on your car even if you just paid sales tax where you bought the car. I'm sure someone else on here may have more accurate advice on the subject. Good luck.
THANK U FOR THE INFO. APPRECIATE ALOT.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM

270 posts, read 506,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
How much does it cost to register a car in Hawaii? We've looked at the government sites and they don't give any rates. Here in Seattle we pay less than $125 per year to license our Jeep and our SUV. Our boat registration is $25 per year.

Mahalo!
http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/car-registration.php

http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/car-reg...ulate_the_Fees

Motor Vehicle Fee Inquiry, City and County of Honolulu

Here is a guide for DMV / driving in Hawaii, as well.
http://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/new-to-hawaii.php
Cost of living calculator
http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...etail_250.html
Welcome, military, and much more info applicable to all
http://newcomers.honoluluadvertiser....005/03_welcome

Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Each county sets their own rates for the registration. Oahu is of course, the highest, by far.
Our 3000 pound car is (until next Spring when the rates go up) $82 per year on Big Island of Hawaii.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

Mahalo!
The fine for having an un-registered boat trailer is less than the trailer registration.

The fee for registering the boat itself (with the Dept of Land and Natural Resources) is $10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii