Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 20,286 times

Advertisements

This was an older thread topic that got closed.
It started with a question which turned into a troll fest battling over airport security;

Im trying to get to Hawaii on a boat.
Im up for traveling the sea slowly for the adventure of it.
And it takes a long time for my fingernails to grow back after flying on a plane from gripping the seat.
I find most cruises cost about 1500$ from san francisco at best.
No cargo ships seem to stop in hawaii so I can't get a price fix on them.
If anyone has been through this please pop off a link or something to help us hippies out.
Thanks,
rjWolf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
What is more important to you? Fingernails or $$$ ?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Scared to fly?

But don't mind a super long ship ride over choppy deep ocean waters?

I've taken a lot of ferries and boats around island hopping in the Philippines. Many of them also go down, and they rock way more than any plane ever will. It's also not all that enjoyable trying to sleep on rocking ships.....even for a night or two, let alone however many nights or weeks it would take to get to Honolulu!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Once you're far enough south, you have pretty smooth sailing across to Hawaii. Not speaking from experience, but heard often enough from sailboat crew that I tend to believe it. Go offer to crew on a sailboat and you may even make a few bucks. Likely though that you'd be sharing food costs. Give it 3 weeks and you've learned sailing skills, saved a bunch of money and had an adventure.
But before you go, learn important boat item terms like "EPIRB". Ask a knowledgeable sailor to check out the boat going across as well. You'll want something that can float at least 3 thousand miles or more.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Check the back pages of Latitude 38 and see if any private yacht is looking for crew across the water. Otherwise, once a year there is a "re-positioning cruise" where the big cruise ships move to a new location. Those are one of the few times you can get on the cruise ship at one port and get off in another.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Scared to fly?

But don't mind a super long ship ride over choppy deep ocean waters?

I've taken a lot of ferries and boats around island hopping in the Philippines. Many of them also go down, and they rock way more than any plane ever will. It's also not all that enjoyable trying to sleep on rocking ships.....even for a night or two, let alone however many nights or weeks it would take to get to Honolulu!
Hey! As a former Navy airman, and a confirmed sailor on small boats as well, who has spent many nights at sea: 'rockin and rollin' is a wonderful way to sleep ... hard to sleep on land once you get used to being at sea ... and, while I love flying -- commercial air travel sucks.

Many funky third-world ferries go down, but cruise ships? Not so much. Watch out for the food on those ships, though

Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Sept. 14th Vancouver to Honolulu on Royal Carribean lines. Two different ships to choose from, but I've heard bad things about their food service. Apparently, it's not very good.

Sept. 18th, Vancouver to Honolulu on Carnival Spirit. The food is supposed to be better but the ships cater to a younger crowd so it might be noisier.

Oct. 22, Ensenada, Mexico to Honolulu on Celebrity lines. This is the one I'd choose. Celebrity is supposed to have pretty good food and accommodations although I've not cruised with them, myself.

There are also some cruises which start in Tahiti and end up in Honolulu, but if you are having problems getting to Honolulu, you'll probably also have difficulties getting to Tahiti.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Sept. 14th Vancouver to Honolulu on Royal Carribean lines. Two different ships to choose from, but I've heard bad things about their food service. Apparently, it's not very good.
I've been on a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Caribbean and the food service was AMAZING! This is the first I've ever heard someone say it was bad.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM

Well, then, that's a good thing! I've only heard rumors, but if you've been there then we can forget the rumors. I've only cruised on Holland America and none of their boats are being re-positioned to Hawaii so there aren't any I can personally recommend. Like the rest of us, I go find forums and ask folks and some of them weren't happy with the RC cruise line but that's all I know. Also, the OP is just trying to find a way to Hawaii without flying so cuisine may not be critical to their plan.

Although, considering how limited the ships to and from Hawaii are, one does wonder how the OP is going to visit the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: