Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times

Advertisements

Really great thread that I, at almost 70, learned from. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:08 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
Such great stories! I hope the OP is still reading and will consider some new viewpoints.

I agree - when people with differing viewpoints meet, neither benefits by mutual shutouts. Get together and learn. You may decide to keep your viewpoint absolutely intact, but at least then you've had some additional reasons on why to do so. Or you may expand your viewpoint.

When I meet someone who seems to be dug in about an issue, especially if they are expressing unhappiness with the situation, I have to ask, "Is that working for you?" If the answer is no, then the suggestion is clearly to consider other ways to either view or approach the situation. Or else just stay unhappy. Gosh, that would be a very sad choice.

I hope the OP does come on out. Maybe he'll have the opportunity to see what it is like to be a minority in some areas. Maybe he'll be the target of assumptions and generalizations. It could be a great experience. The islands will either work for him or not. If not, he'll head off somewhere else and learn some more.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM

15 posts, read 34,569 times
Hi everyone
My email said this post was read many times and wanted to check it out again and all I can do is laugh on what I said. My grammar was bad because I was using my phone so I was stuck in texting mode but no worries.

If anyone is still here or interested in this thread, my views about where I live have changed a little bit. I don't like how America is changing (I feel i don't need to reiterate what's going on) and I would no longer like to be a part of it so I am a little confused on what to do. Moving to another country would certainly be an option I would like to do but, you know, that can be difficult. It seems like Canada or Australia has it going and i'm thinking about it. I live next to Santa Barbara City College and it is a great school that i'm going to next year. If the **** hits the fan, I might migrate but my mind is open so who knows!

Also, thank you to everyone who posted in this thread. It helped me a little and it was interesting on hearing your stories and feedback, harsh or sweet.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
Junglenachos,

I thought I would chime in since I used to be in the same boat as you in regards to looking at moving to Hawaii. I am 6 years older than you and a university graduate. I used to read these forums almost every day to try to get advice/knowledge on what relocating to Hawaii would be like. After much research I decided it would be more advantageous for me to stay on the mainland to get a few years of professional experience under my belt and obtain a master's degree. I would then look at relocated after I accomplished those goals.

My advice to you would be to stay on the mainland and go to a 4-year university. Get a bachelor's degree and a few years of relevant experience. Do this especially if you are planning on living overseas. Most countries, especially Canada and Australia, will not give a U.S. citizen work permission unless that person has a specialized degree and relevant experience. There are exceptions to every rule, though. When I first graduated from college I almost took a job teaching English in Korea. At the time, the only requirements were that you were from an English speaking country and had a 4-year degree in any discipline.

You are still young and have a long time to worry about where you want to live. Good luck!

P.S. If you want to see if you would qualify for Canadian/Australian immigration you can take the tests below.

Skilled workers and professionals: Self-assessment test (Canada)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-test.htm (Australia)

Last edited by husker19; 12-07-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 34,569 times
That's what i've been thinking I might need to do. I know it helps to be sponsored so your visa is easier to get and I tried a visa matcher on an Oz website and it doesn't seem too hard. Migrating would be nice but I need to finish this last year of school first. I just wanted to follow up on this old thread I made

Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Quote:
Hi everyone
My email said this post was read many times and wanted to check it out again and all I can do is laugh on what I said. My grammar was bad because I was using my phone so I was stuck in texting mode but no worries.

If anyone is still here or interested in this thread, my views about where I live have changed a little bit. I don't like how America is changing (I feel i don't need to reiterate what's going on) and I would no longer like to be a part of it so I am a little confused on what to do. Moving to another country would certainly be an option I would like to do but, you know, that can be difficult. It seems like Canada or Australia has it going and i'm thinking about it. I live next to Santa Barbara City College and it is a great school that i'm going to next year. If the **** hits the fan, I might migrate but my mind is open so who knows!

Also, thank you to everyone who posted in this thread. It helped me a little and it was interesting on hearing your stories and feedback, harsh or sweet.

Great courage to have this idea.
I always think that people who would like to leave the familiar place have the ambition and get more.
All you should do is work out a detailed plan for many cases.
You still have time!

Good luck!!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
Hi

Did you ever decide? I am thinking of moving to Santa Barbara, I actually lived in Hawaii for 4 years.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2012, 03:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuhg View Post
Hi

Did you ever decide? I am thinking of moving to Santa Barbara, I actually lived in Hawaii for 4 years.

Thanks
The OP hasn't posted since last December, so you may be waiting a while for a reply. But over the years I've spent a lot of time in Santa Barbara, and I have friends who live there, so let me offer the following...

Sanata Barbara is gorgeous, simply gorgeous, a great town to live in if you're wealthy, or if your parents are wealthy.

The Cost of Living Index in Santa Barabara is even higher than it is in Honolulu.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM

12 posts, read 23,783 times
Try Carpinteria it 5 mins south of Santa Barbara cute beach community.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
The OP has not logged on for over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: