Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
McFrostyJ: how did you visit Ni'ihau? Did you do the helicopter tour, and if so, where did you land?

The only other outsiders who get to go are Dept. of Education for the school, and military occasionaly.
We took the tour with Ni'ihau Helicopter. NIIHAU HELICOPTERS INC. They took us over on a VERY fast twin engine helicopter, flew us around Ni'ihau and Lehua. We got to see a lot of wildlife including chasing some Eland. The ride was more fun than most roller coaster rides and the former army helicopter pilot was awesome! However, if you get a chance to go, I do recommend taking some motion sickness pills first. The sight seeing flight around the island takes about 45 minutes. Then they land on the north shore and you have about 3 hours to hike around, go snorkeling, look for the famous Ni'ihau shells or pretty much any thing you want. You also get to enjoy a picnic lunch while there. My wife and I were lucky enough to talk to a couple of the locals when they came to pick up some stuff from the helicopter. They were EXTREMELY nice! There accent was very heavy and unlike any I have ever heard on any other Hawaiian island.
If anyone has a chance to do the tour I would definitely recommend it. Just know that you have to be flexible on the days you can go because they must have at least 5 people for the tour. Also, the helicopter's primary use is for the island. So, that means if something comes up like a medical emergency, they can cancel at any time.

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0357.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0332.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0345.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0352.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0362.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0336.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0322.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0296.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0354.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0331.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0315.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-img_0310.jpg

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-niihau1.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Not sure why those pics got posted out of order.
Sorry.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
I've taken a boat to Niihau but I didn't go on the island. You can get the best mullet in the waters off Niihau. My friends go dive Niihau a lot and always catch something good.

A close friend of mine is Hawaiian, from Niihau, and goes back about two times a year. I LOVE hearing all of her stories. It is really interesting to hear about the old ways and different camp rules over there but I always wonder what will happen to Niihau. The population is aging and slowly dwindling away. A lot of people from Niihau have found their way to the west side of Kauai.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:55 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
McFrostyJ, thanks a million for the story and the photos. I love that hand-painted sign for the helicopter office, I look at it longingly from the highway every time I drive by. One of these days before it's too late, I'll have to spring for this tour--maybe for my birthday.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:48 PM

518 posts, read 764,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Has anyone here got to volunteer to go to Kaho'olawe and help with the clean up? If so, what was it like there?
I just found out about the volunteer program to Kahoolawe. A Yahoo reporter article says the wait could be up to 2 years with a long wait list of people signed up. And of course it's the only way to visit this island. Quite the sad history as I read other people's posts on this little piece of land.

On this web page: Kahoolawe Island Reserve Commission

I called the phone number and the call goes straight to dead (doesn't even ring).

Submitted the volunteer wait list form and looks like they contact by email.

Definitely a very unique experience for someone to experience a Hawaiian island.

Not sure but after searching the city data forums, it appears I don't see anyone who has actually been to this island. There is one guy who lightheartedly jokes about his former days bombing the island but appears he is likely no longer active posting.

Any info on this island would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
We took the tour with Ni'ihau Helicopter. NIIHAU HELICOPTERS INC. They took us over on a VERY fast twin engine helicopter, flew us around Ni'ihau and Lehua. We got to see a lot of wildlife including chasing some Eland. The ride was more fun than most roller coaster rides and the former army helicopter pilot was awesome! However, if you get a chance to go, I do recommend taking some motion sickness pills first. The sight seeing flight around the island takes about 45 minutes. Then they land on the north shore and you have about 3 hours to hike around, go snorkeling, look for the famous Ni'ihau shells or pretty much any thing you want. You also get to enjoy a picnic lunch while there. My wife and I were lucky enough to talk to a couple of the locals when they came to pick up some stuff from the helicopter. They were EXTREMELY nice! There accent was very heavy and unlike any I have ever heard on any other Hawaiian island.
If anyone has a chance to do the tour I would definitely recommend it. Just know that you have to be flexible on the days you can go because they must have at least 5 people for the tour. Also, the helicopter's primary use is for the island. So, that means if something comes up like a medical emergency, they can cancel at any time.
Incredible and thanks a ton for your insights. The cost is certainly steep, and for those who are privileged enough to be able to afford this half day jaunt at about $450 a head it certainly is another VERY unique destination.

One quick question, from where does the Niihau Helicopter depart from? I assume they have a helipad access from Honolulu?

And it's odd to think that after learning about these other two islands, the islands of Lanai and Molokai doesn't seem that difficult to access relative to these two!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post

Not sure but after searching the city data forums, it appears I don't see anyone who has actually been to this island. There is one guy who lightheartedly jokes about his former days bombing the island but appears he is likely no longer active posting.

Any info on this island would be greatly appreciated.
I know the poster you refer to. We were in the service together and he introduced me to this forum years ago. Correct, he is no longer posting but lives traveling between Hawaii, Washington, and California in his retirement. His squadron was light attack and they did practice runs around Kahoolawe as prep for tours in Vietnam. I was in a different (helicopter) squadron. No bombing runs. But flew around the island also. It's not a bit "scenic." And there's still tons of ordinance there as I understand it.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post

One quick question, from where does the Niihau Helicopter depart from? I assume they have a helipad access from Honolulu?
Kauai - not Oahu/Honolulu

Old 10-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Kauai - not Oahu/Honolulu
'

Ah makes sense. I should've look at a simple map and realized. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I know the poster you refer to. We were in the service together and he introduced me to this forum years ago. Correct, he is no longer posting but lives traveling between Hawaii, Washington, and California in his retirement. His squadron was light attack and they did practice runs around Kahoolawe as prep for tours in Vietnam. I was in a different (helicopter) squadron. No bombing runs. But flew around the island also. It's not a bit "scenic." And there's still tons of ordinance there as I understand it.
AH I see. Very interesting. Looks like the age was older than I anticipated. But yeah from my readings, the military cleared out like 75% of the ordnance (up to 4 ft deep) and there's still like 4000 acres that is uncleared and there's danger for explosions!

Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
It's not the same as being there but you can Google "Street View" Kahoolawe.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ka...4d-156.6057378
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii