Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM

79 posts, read 231,123 times

Advertisements

I was told by someone on the forum that I am giving a "false" reality to people, lol. The question I have is to these people saying this is are you a teacher or know of any teachers? Teachers in hawaii, at least in oahu, have access to what we call in michigan gigs. There are many many many after school jobs or activities that teachers can do for extra income. You can even space out your pay for 12 months and still teach summer school and get paid additional money for that as well, along with many many many other things teachers can do to make extra money. I know this, because my wife is a teacher and with her income after taxes along with my income we are netting about 95k per year.
I am not boasting or being arrogant. What I am saying is the truth. And for those that get a window to become a teacher in hawaii and are willing to work hard during the week, believe me when I say you will be fine here especially if your mate is a teacher too.
Teachers are also very respected on the islands, something my wife loves, especially if you are like her and are willing to teach in places that need teachers. Because some places on the island are high risk for having teachers leave the school but for those that stay like my wife I commend them.
This is not a lie, this is first hand knowledge. Hawaii needs help with it's education system. And for those that want to come to the island and make a difference to children's lives no matter their standing I proudly invite them to live on the island.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Much love and respect to the teachers of the world...

Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 PM

219 posts, read 497,273 times
I for one appreciate the information you've shared. I've got 39 days to go myself.

I see that Oahu is not alone with all the extra work for teachers, some of the Big Island after-school gigs pay $20-30 per hour. In MS teachers are not allowed to tutor for money, some do but if they get caught they are fired. Michigan may have similar rules.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM

In michigan our stupid governor slashed the education budget, giving tax breaks to businesses!! So that killed a lot of the after school programs.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Why are they called michigan gigs?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 PM

in michigan they call side jobs "gigs" not sure why, they just do, lol. Musicians never saying they are going to play music in michigan, they say they have a gig, lol.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
This thread is almost as funny and accurate as the all our beef in Hawaii is from Hawaii and we have so much we export it.

If you said, my wife makes another 10K from 2nd, 3rd+ jobs in addition to her teaching job just so we can survive it at least as some credibility.

It's like if Winkosmosis said: I make $50K working for the County of Maui and leaving out he bartends every night and is a helper on whale watcher tours on the weekends as he gets gigs, lol

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-21-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 10:16 PM

huh?

those jobs have nothing in common with one another and I know of very few "jobs" that pay 300 a week for 9 hours of work a week. You consider that a real job? for 4-5 months? lol what a joke......... But to be honest, I am not even surprised.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I misread. I thought you said the name of the after school work was "michigan gig".

I'd say that's different from working extra jobs, since it's like overtime for teaching. Then again maybe they're hard to get and you have to be lucky.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
huh?

those jobs have nothing in common with one another and I know of very few "jobs" that pay 300 a week for 9 hours of work a week. You consider that a real job? for 4-5 months? lol what a joke......... But to be honest, I am not even surprised.
The reality is teachers in Hawaii start out making low 40's - there is no other reality than that. If your wife has to work other jobs, whatever the may be - to make another 10K - doesn't dimish the fact a teacher must work multiple jobs or gigs or whatever you call them to make over $50K above and beyond a normal teacher schedule. Again, it isn't much different than Wink saying he makes $50K for the county but leaves out his 2nd or 3rd job.

Be honest with people. Teachers make low 40's. To say otherwise isn't honest. If you want to say a teacher makes over $50K, don't leave out all the extra jobs they have to have to do so.

And if you want credibilty - at least address the very factually incorrect beef thread you started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: