Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM

69 posts, read 268,877 times

Advertisements

I am getting a new job and relocating to Hawaii.... this question is specifically about applying for an account before I arrive.

I am online applying for a Bank of Hawaii account but it is asking for my address. I only have my local address here right now. Should I put those addresses?

I also start the new job when I am there so no idea what to put in the employment section either... because if I put the new job, and they check my info I don't work there yet...

I read to apply for an account 2-3 weeks ahead of time so it has processing times.

I tried Navy Federal but I'm not government so they won't give me an account.

Should I just wait until I get there and do it then?
I will still have my Bank of America account... I assume I can use money orders for any deposits for apartments... Would I still be able to use my debit card or ATM in the machines there.. I know sounds like a dumb question. I know I will get charged fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocater2HI78 View Post
I am getting a new job and relocating to Hawaii.... this question is specifically about applying for an account before I arrive.

I am online applying for a Bank of Hawaii account but it is asking for my address. I only have my local address here right now. Should I put those addresses?

I also start the new job when I am there so no idea what to put in the employment section either... because if I put the new job, and they check my info I don't work there yet...

I read to apply for an account 2-3 weeks ahead of time so it has processing times.

I tried Navy Federal but I'm not government so they won't give me an account.

Should I just wait until I get there and do it then?
I will still have my Bank of America account... I assume I can use money orders for any deposits for apartments... Would I still be able to use my debit card or ATM in the machines there.. I know sounds like a dumb question. I know I will get charged fees.
You debit card is going to work at all the ATM's. You'll be hit with the same fee as if you used a Wells Fargo ATM with your B of A card. A lot of machines limit you to $200 - I've noticed Central Pacific Bank ATM's let you take out $400 at a time (assuming you have that limit with B of A).

Before I bought my place - I used my out of state checking account for first month rent and deposit. I think you mentioned you already have local employment - you should be fine.

Bank of Hawaii branches, even at Safeway, can print new checks right at the branch. So even if you open the account remotely with a mainland address - once you get your new place you can change the address on your checks very easily.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 PM

The downside is I am out of checks... I could order new ones but then I don't know... I have not went inside a BoA in ages but I don't believe they print any checks right at the branch.

Even when I arrive I will be in a temporary living location... so I'm not sure if I am allowed to put that address.

Maybe it would be easier to open it online now using my existing information and changing it later.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The downside is I am out of checks... I could order new ones but then I don't know... I have not went inside a BoA in ages but I don't believe they print any checks right at the branch.

Even when I arrive I will be in a temporary living location... so I'm not sure if I am allowed to put that address.

Maybe it would be easier to open it online now using my existing information and changing it later.
I just looked at the BOH site - looks like an easy set up online including an initial deposit - looks like your best option. Use your current address and change later.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:

See if you can get a U.S. Post Office Box near where you think you will be living. If you can do that, then put that on your checks from Bank of Hawaii. You can then leave it that way or change when you get a permanent address.

You can also just bypass the whole check thing until you get there, have B of A wire funds to whatever bank you will use in Hawaii and just use your ATM for smaller items. Usually Mainland banks take approx seven (7) days to get your new checks to you, but seems like a waste of money and time to order checks from a bank you will not be using.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
See if you can get a U.S. Post Office Box near where you think you will be living. If you can do that, then put that on your checks from Bank of Hawaii. You can then leave it that way or change when you get a permanent address.

You can also just bypass the whole check thing until you get there, have B of A wire funds to whatever bank you will use in Hawaii and just use your ATM for smaller items. Usually Mainland banks take approx seven (7) days to get your new checks to you, but seems like a waste of money and time to order checks from a bank you will not be using.

Thank you for the PO box idea. I may get a PO box near where I will be working... I will be in a temporary place first then go hunt for housing! So quite hectic and I'm not sure where the temporary place will be, it might not be near where I choose to finally live.

I also realized I will have to forward all my mail... and that would be a lot easier if I have a PO box

Although that leads me to another question about forwarding mail because it takes awhile for mail to be forwarded when I move in the same state... I can't imagine how long it would take to Hawaii.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Thank you for the PO box idea. I may get a PO box near where I will be working... I will be in a temporary place first then go hunt for housing! So quite hectic and I'm not sure where the temporary place will be, it might not be near where I choose to finally live.

I also realized I will have to forward all my mail... and that would be a lot easier if I have a PO box

Although that leads me to another question about forwarding mail because it takes awhile for mail to be forwarded when I move in the same state... I can't imagine how long it would take to Hawaii.
For me it seemed to initially add an extra week for my mail to get to me. That can be a little frustrating, but once you change the address to the P.O. Box, I didn't see any undo time increase in getting mail from the mainland. I think in general and for regular mail, anything coming from or going to the Mainland takes an extra couple of days. But if you use the Priority and Express option, it appears to be the same as within the Mainland State. Last Saturday, I mailed all my 2011 Tax stuff to my accountant on Oahu from here (Texas) and he notified me today he received it - that's pretty good.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Thank you for the PO box idea. I may get a PO box near where I will be working... I will be in a temporary place first then go hunt for housing!
Sorry, you will not be able to rent a PO Box in Hawai'i until you apply in person, show a government issued picture ID, and show proof of physical address, which can be a signed lease or a utility or insurance bill. Then you will update the PO info as you change addresses.

Take care of the Change of Address form well before you move, indicating the date to stop delivering to your old address and start forwarding. It can take the PO a week to start forwarding, and easily another week for the first of it to show up in Hawai'i. Try to notify all your accounts of your new address directly, and only depend on forwarding to catch what you missed, because the service is not terribly reliable.

Open the BoH account now, using your current address, and put in a change of address with them once you have a new address. What you want is to be past the 30-day "New Account" status before you arrive. Yes, ATM limits are usually $200 on mainland accounts, and the fee will usually be $2-4 per transaction. Cash advance disbursements from your credit cards are more expensive. Make your cash transfer well in advance of need, because it can take 5 business days, etc.

Here's one way to look at it that may help you not to be overly surprised by anything that happens... in many ways moving to Hawai'i is a lot like moving to a third world country. If you're like most people, you'll probably do this a lot at first >>>

Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 PM

I had a PO Box once - and I had to show up in person to set it up.

When I forwarded my mail - it took about 2 weeks for the first mail to show up. Once you change your accounts to send directly to your new address it shows up as quickly - when my parents send me something from Chicago, it shows up in my mailbox in about 2 or 3 days max.

The Central Pacific Bank machines at Ala Moana mall dispurse up to $400 including mainland accounts.

Last edited by whtviper1; 02-06-2012 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
You can send your mail "General Delivery" to the post office near where you will be working. You have to go up to the post office window, though, during post office working hours to get your mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii