Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 140,095 times

Advertisements

If you had all the money you would ever need, where would you move to, what island, what town, what subdivision and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:21 PM

86 posts, read 698,516 times
Upper Manoa in Honolulu. It's still Honolulu but you wouldn't know it by the surroundings. Lots of jungle, birds, flowers...and oh yes very quiet.

Second choice, Dowsett neighborhood in Honolulu. A bit more urban than Upper Manoa but still beautiful and very quiet with exceptional homes and large lots.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:50 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,736 times
I would stay on Oahu. All these areas appeal to me. All except Portlock are in the Diamond Head area.

Hawaii Loa Ridge (private gated community)
Waialae Iki
Waialae Nui Ridge
St Louis Hts
Wilhelmina Rise
Portlock

Old 09-15-2007, 08:33 PM

144 posts, read 736,133 times
I would have an estate on the Hamakua Coast on the Big Island. Maybe Pepeekeo or the Honomu/Hakalau area.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:37 AM

70 posts, read 375,390 times
Why no one said Kahala beachfront or Lanikai/Kailua beachfront?

I have never been to Hawaii, but those are two neighborhoods I heard are some of the best. Here you guys are actually living on Oahu and you don't mention these places. I miust have got it all wrong from my reearch. All well, I will go visit at Christmas for a couple of weeks and check out the places first hand.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:23 AM

312 posts, read 1,639,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post

I have never been to Hawaii, but those are two neighborhoods I heard are some of the best. Here you guys are actually living on Oahu and you don't mention these places. I miust have got it all wrong from my reearch. All well, I will go visit at Christmas for a couple of weeks and check out the places first hand.
All the areas I mentioned are close to Kahala, but not on the water. Personally I want to live near the water (able to see it), but not right on the water.
Did that make sense?

As for Lanikai/Kailua, just another personal preference, no desire to live on the Windward side.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 61,370 times
I also would choose Oahu, it has everything: beautiful beaches, a real nightlife, top notch restaurants, great shopping. Yes, Kahala and Lanikai are beautiful neighborhoods but one has not that much privacy there, the lots are relatively small and your house can be seen from the street. I would probably get an Oceanview Estate up on the mountain in Pupukea on the North Shore. There the views are breathtaking and one has seclusion and privacy and peace.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:55 PM

86 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post

There you said it, you have never lived here! I find these two locations undesirable for the way I like to live. Both of these are areas are full of large large houses on large lots with big tile/concrete retaining walls. This is not the Hawaii I know. I wanna know my neighborhoods and bbq with them.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,305,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeandclear View Post
If you had all the money you would ever need, where would you move to, what island, what town, what subdivision and why?
This is a fun question!

What island is a toss-up for me...I've lived on Oahu and wouldn't hesitate to go back. I'm on the Big Island now and my SO likes this island better and has an established business here. I also like the vastness of it and the beauty of the more remote areas.

So, on Oahu:

A nice home with a decent sized lot on any street that borders Diamond Head. My absolute favorite thing to do when I lived there was the 4 mile walk/run from my front door around the mtn and back home to my shower! Time it just right to catch sunset overlooking the water and surf spots--amazing. Since we are dreaming, I'll say somewhere around Triangle Park.

On the Big Island,

My ideal subdivision is not developed yet, but is in the works, I believe. I want at least a one acre parcel on the Kohala coast about halfway between the upper and lower road so that I have a 180 degree beach view from the front , an unobstructed view of the mountain, and a 15 minute drive to the Kohala coast beaches. (I'd take it in a Waikoloa subdivision right now, but only if I could have at least two lots.)

Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeandclear View Post
Well, I wouldn't be a full-time resident of Hawai'i and I'd have more than one home.

For Hawai'i, I prefer the Big Island since it's where I was born and raised. The Hilo subdivisions of Reed's Island, Sunrise Ridge Estates, and Kaumana Country Club Estates are my favorites. For Puna, it's Leilani Estates and Kapoho Beach Lots. For Kona, it's Ke 'Alohi Kai and Keauhou Estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii