Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times

Advertisements

Catching up on posts tonight - just got back from Vegas and the World Series of Poker - if you play poker I recommend it.

And I see this quote in another thread "you'll spend the rest of your life wondering "what if", it was referencing someone in their 20's potentially moving to Hawaii. And it got me kind of sad - do people really "what if" the rest of their life?

And it got me thinking - do others on here really make decisions in your 20's (besides maybe things that send you to jail) that have you in your 30's, 40's, 50's - and more that have you still wondering "what if"? I'm in my 40's and my 20's are a distant past at this point - I do now what I didn't back then.

What about you? Do you "what if" your decisions from your 20's as you've gotten older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Catching up on posts tonight - just got back from Vegas and the World Series of Poker - if you play poker I recommend it.

And I see this quote in another thread "you'll spend the rest of your life wondering "what if", it was referencing someone in their 20's potentially moving to Hawaii. And it got me kind of sad - do people really "what if" the rest of their life?

And it got me thinking - do others on here really make decisions in your 20's (besides maybe things that send you to jail) that have you in your 30's, 40's, 50's - and more that have you still wondering "what if"? I'm in my 40's and my 20's are a distant past at this point - I do now what I didn't back then.

What about you? Do you "what if" your decisions from your 20's as you've gotten older?
I pretty much went for everything I wanted to do when I was in my 20s, so have no regrets. Can't answer.

I will say though, the World Series of Poker....very nice! I've been wanting to go there for a very long time, but I will say, I have no regrets for not having been there yet!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I pretty much went for everything I wanted to do when I was in my 20s, so have no regrets.
Same here!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 AM

236 posts, read 648,647 times
They say you're more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the things you did do, and I tend to agree.

I would say marrying the wrong person in your 20's could end up being a big time/money waster. But trying out someplace like Hawaii before doing something more conventional/"responsible"? I can't imagine regretting that. There's plenty of time later to get old and jaded.

If I regret anything, it's not trying more wild/different jobs in my youth, like bartending -- and not living in more areas like Hawaii, key west, etc. But I can (and will) still do those things.

My only advice would be to enjoy everything wild and crazy before you have responsibilities, and can't do so as much. In other words, don't get married until it really, really feels right, and you feel compelled to (by your own heart). And don't have kids until the same dynamic occurs (ideally closer to 30 than 20, unless kids are really your dream.)

Basically, don't do anything just because others (family, society, etc.) pressures you too. Life is too short and precious to be wasted living for other people (except the people you actually get off living for, like your significant other / spouse and kids.)

Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
I did things in my 20s I really wish I could undo. Yes, regrets.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Should regret running off with that young woman and leaving school- Should regret pairing up with the mother of my four children- should regret a lot of things- but call it fate- Despite the fact that my mate was the wrong person- and despite the fact that I did not get a formal education- My children were meant to be born- my un- institutional out look due to lack of formal training is very useful- all that has happened that I should and do regret was meant to be- I may not like it but it made me who I am- and who I am is just the way it is.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM

406 posts, read 865,605 times
The only thing I wanted to do in my 20's that I regret not doing was learning to fly. Now that I am 74 I still would like to, but it is much more expensive now and my wife doesn't like the idea at all.

Mickey

Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

236 posts, read 648,647 times
Mickey -- my father is 73, and he started learning to fly this year. It's never too late.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM

431 posts, read 939,773 times
As an older person I think that if you're happy with your lot in life now you're a lot less likely to have regrets. After all, if you had done things differently, would you be in the place (physically, emotionally, etceterally, LOL) that you are now?
Perhaps I would have handled some situations differently---jeez, no one is perfect---but all in all, no desire to change my overall life course.
I look back at some choices I made and go "YIKES" but I wouldn't change them because those choices led me on paths that led to where I am now, if that makes sense. It's a pretty good place, all things considered.
And of course they added to my vast database of knowledge and experience >smile<.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 06-13-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 26,727 times
Well... This may not apply to me just yet (I'm in my twenties)... but I can look back into my teens and see mistakes galore. However, I learned so much from them; they've given me character (as scars can) and just a PINCH of "wisdom" that I wouldn't have had otherwise. Still, there are teenaged parts of me that should never grow old & dreams I shouldn't ever oppress/relinquish. Whether its 5, 10 or 50 years from now, I can't really be too harsh on myself for doing what I thought was best "back then". No matter how flat I fell on my face... Smh. I think It's all quite beautiful really....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii