Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times

Advertisements

But after reading Oleg's post I am going to try and look at it more positively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
I regret I ruined most of my life, sad to say. Now I am a senior and there is no second chance to have babies and all that.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
My only advice would be to enjoy everything wild and crazy before you have responsibilities, and can't do so as much. In other words, don't get married until it really, really feels right, and you feel compelled to (by your own heart). And don't have kids until the same dynamic occurs (ideally closer to 30 than 20, unless kids are really your dream.)

Basically, don't do anything just because others (family, society, etc.) pressures you too. Life is too short and precious to be wasted living for other people (except the people you actually get off living for, like your significant other / spouse and kids.)
I wish more people would take the above to heart.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
I came over here on a paid vacation in 1975 when I was in my early twenties. Didn't go back. I don't regret it.

Of course, I might, or might not, stay.

Still thinking it through

Some things you just can't,,, uuuurrrrrppppp, scuze me, rush into

Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
I regret I didn't start earlier in the Navy. But I do not regret my life here on Oahu and the other Islands I have visited.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 719 times
Kitty61... If you think you wasted your life try spending 25 years in the suburbanal pseudo sophisticated ha'ole jungle wrestling with divorce attorneys, teenagers who think they are slumming it if their Dad will only allow them to drive the Porsche instead of the Ferrari, and suburban housewives who select their friends based on what Senator they live near, and realtor wannabe law makers who drive property values down on multimillion dollar homes just to make a 3% commission on a quick sale and move on to stigmatize more folks out their retirement investment. Nooooo, you truly have not wasted your life until you spend at least 25 years within the capital hill fallout zone.
If I could sell my home here I'd burn the steel tipped corporate rooster busting steel tipped sthillettos and move to Hawaii in a heart beat.
But seriously, no life is wasted or ruined.... It's the spiritual lessons learned that count.
And speaking of spirits....hic.... where's my lost shaker of salt?

Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,789 times
This is a fantastic thread- not just for those in HI but for anyone. I'm currently in my 20's and always wonder how I'll look back on these years.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Im 50, not in Hawaii although I want to make the trip over.

I have a few regrets from my youth. I never became an Eagle Scout and way back then I was told by Scout leaders that did not become Eagle Scouts that I might regret it some day. I did not join the Navy. I had wanted to do that when I was younger but did not and now I am too old to do that. I did not take risks in life. The biggest reason, I was always afraid to fail in anything. I spent so much time working that I did not spend that much time with my older kids.

I can never go back and become an Eagle Scout, I can never join the Navy at my age, I can never get back my kids childhood.

Here is what I can do:

I can help and I am helping my two youngest sons become Eagle Scouts. They want to do it and nothing seems to keep them from getting what they have to do to get it done. On top of that I am there fore them. I go to the camp outs, help out, and make things happen.

I can take risks in life. I started my own business. Yes, I am still working, but I can still work my business. It is all online. I am learning Taekwondo. My kids are also into that and I wanted to do it with them.

I can spend time with my older kids and reconnect with them.

It is never too late to do something different, until it is too late. With me I have been blessed with good health so far. I have goals that I want to complete and will be working toward completion of those goals. One of which is to build a boat and sail it over to Hawaii.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:29 PM

308 posts, read 410,536 times
Who doesn't regret things from their lost youth? If you don't, you aren't or weren't paying attention :-). The trick, as far as I can tell, is to forgive yourself, let it go, move past the regrets, and use the lessons you learned to make a positive difference in your life, now :-).

My biggest regret? Marrying and starting a family too young. While I wouldn't trade having my (now grown) children for anything, I certainly wouldn't have wasted 13 years of my life married to their father. I'd have just "lived in sin", instead, i guess, and birthed 3 really wonderful illegitimate children! :-)

What don't I regret from my younger years? Working in a carnival owned by a good friend for several years. It gave me a chance to travel that I wouldn't have had, otherwise.

What would I change? Not marrying until I met "the one" (my husband, Zwack) when I was in my late 30s. Traveling a LOT more. Other than that? Nothing. I've always tended to follow my dreams, no matter what the risk. All those life experiences make us what we are, today. Even with my "issues", I like the life I live, now, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't want to be one of those people who, at the end of their life, regret so many things that they DIDN'T do or try.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:39 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Not going to San Diego State. Had my major all lined up, had a dorm room reserved... and didn't go. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii