Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 AM

31 posts, read 27,966 times

Advertisements

Good example: This weekend in 1 night my kids learned about the Kemp's Ridley sea turtles, the 3 shipwrecks of 1554 and the native Karankawa indians and that was just in 1 night after the sun went down just me and them...and a few coyotes lurking in the dunes. What did your kids learn or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
i think we've answered your original questions about a/c work and moving to Hawaii with two kids. The posters who responded have lived here for a while and are very helpful on this forum.

Please let us know if you have any other specific questions that we can attempt to answer without angering you.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM

If its so bad then why are yall there? Did yall raise kids there? Just sayin... I wasnt angry but surely dont like people assuming things before asking me. I never said I thought it was better there. I know there is no perfect place in this world but there is a place where you can have more of what you prefer to overcome the rest. I dont think im gonna move there and shape surf boards while drinking mai tai's and eating spam all the time just like here we dont actually wear big hats, boots and ride horses all the time.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM

346 posts, read 968,030 times
The GT (Gifted and Talented) programs at the public schools are good.

If you instill the importance of education in your kids, they'll do fine.

As for AC installers, there's a pretty big market for that here. There are a ton of buildings downtown, and they all have AC systems. The pay can vary greatly though. An apprentice AC service tech will only start at warehouse wages around 10 bucks and hour.

If you are dead serious about moving here, and when you do, send me your resume. I know of a company that may be looking for an AC tech. Are you familiar with repairs, electrical, plumbing, etc?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM

My sons already in GT here and pretty sure my little girl will be once she gets into school this year. Recent divorce kept her from school last year since I make too much money they said (long story).

I have done a/c all my life and can do any part of it and elect but hate plumbing lol. I prefer service. I have heard in the past that a certified a/c service tech averages $30-35 hr there? $10 hr doesnt sound like it would pay the bills there based on this forum?

Last edited by dstovall1019; 06-26-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstovall1019 View Post
My sons already in GT here and pretty sure my little girl will be once she gets into school this year. Recent divorce kept her from school last year since I make too much money they said (long story).

I have done a/c all my life and can do any part of it and elect but hate plumbing lol. I prefer service. I have heard in the past that a certified a/c service tech averages $30-35 hr there? $10 hr doesnt sound like it would pay the bills there based on this forum?
This ad only pays $13-$18 an hour for a certified HVAC technician. Not a lot of money for Honolulu.

https://candidate.manpower.com/wps/p...lCUmZ3QSEhL2Vu

Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM

346 posts, read 968,030 times
Quote:

It can vary widely. The $10/hour is the union warehouse worker wage, which is the bottom of the ladder. If they are around for a while and working on Davis Bacon jobs, $30-35 seems about right.

Private sector jobs won't pay that much. Not sure exactly though.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM

242 posts, read 391,636 times
Quote:
MKWC "the grass is greener mentality"? Seriously? Who said I thought the grass is greener?
Absolutely serious. Re-read your reaction to the schooling. At first you are concerned about the schooling "as in violence or educational?". After you get some responses, you state: "i'm not as concerned...as we don't have the best schools here either." This is typical of someone justifying a situation to suit there needs and falls under the 'grass is greener' mentality.

Quote:
Have you ever been here?
Yup and will be back there shortly too. And I believe that you meant to say 'there' as opposed to 'here'; 'here' would imply that you already are on the Islands which you are not.

Quote:
I make life happen where ever I am be it here or there so it really doesnt matter. I dont do anything that my kids cant do or be involved in.
Which is likely why you are single. Pretty difficult to be in an intimate relationship when it is something that your "kids can't do or be involved in."

Quote:
I am on here to find out what its like so to ignorantly say I "brush it off" is pretty rude. To say I dont wanna consider the truth.....the truth is it seems you have a closed mind.
At 12:05z, you question why the schools are bad. At 12:46z, you have managed to read through all the previous posts and threads about the Hawaiian education system and have drawn the conclusion that "I'm not as concerned". So...what you're saying is that it took you 41 minutes to conduct extensive research and gather a breadth of information on education and schooling in Hawai'i and were able to satisfactorily surmise that it is of little concern to you after all.

I stand by the comment that you "brushed off" the education concerns and would suggest that you are the one with the closed mind - after all, you are the one who has done 41 minutes of research and have concluded that there would be no ill-effects on your children's education.

Quote:
You have kids?
Irrelevant. You raised the topic and involved your kids this thread.

Quote:
I can say and anyone who has ever met my kids would tell you how smart they are and its because I work with them 24 hrs a day.
Again, this is likely why you are single. Pretty tough to be in an intimate relationship when you are "work[ing] with them [kids] 24 hrs a day".

Quote:
The day we stop learning is the day we die!
You sure about the current education system? I'm under the impression that we die because our hearts stop, not because we stopped learning.

Quote:
Being a single dad with 2 kids is alot of work. I have found many ways to make money from a/c to internet which allows me to spend as much time as possible with them and the time we spend is great.
Want me to start a nomination for "Dad-of-the-Year" on your behalf?

Quote:
No matter what we do there is a lesson to be learned and I try my hardest to make sure it gets thru.
A spelling lesson would be a good start. 'Through' is the correct spelling.

Quote:
Sometimes we have to choose which problems we can deal with and I would prefer having to continue to teach my kids vs some of the other problems that theyve had to deal with.
Stop teaching your kids. Their spelling and grammar will continue to suffer.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
I am a 38 yr old air conditioning tech/installer from Texas and would love to move to hawaii. I have 2 kids a 9 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl. Recently divorced and I do have custody of them. I have done a/c work all my life (family trade) and hear it pays good there. Is this true? Would it be hard for me to find a job doing a/c? hard to live on a/c salary?
Aloha. let me ask the first question that always come to my mind when someone say they would love to move to hawaii. I always have yo ask, WHY?

Why? as in what is it about Hawaii that is calling you? How do you see life in Hawaii?

To me these are important (based on first hand expereince) so that you are not relocating WITH children out to a rock in the middle of the ocean based on a fantasy travel channel spisode or some distrorted romantic rose colored glasses situation.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
I stand by the comment that you "brushed off" the education concerns and would suggest that you are the one with the closed mind - after all, you are the one who has done 41 minutes of research and have concluded that there would be no ill-effects on your children's education.
I don't want to start a pile-on here, but I think MKWC nailed it.

Asking a question and then arguing with the answers you get here is disrespectful of the people who take the trouble to answer you.

That attitude will not take you far in Hawai'i. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii