Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 AM

200 posts, read 482,694 times

Advertisements

Actually, Tiger, KonaKat's response was so...lacking in sense that I thought he/she was responding to one of the other responders. But don't worry... I'm used to people not actually reading what was written. You'd be surprised how many emails I've sent to schools where their response clearly is that they didn't read what I wrote.

Thanks for your input and Yes, you totally get what I'm saying. There are posts I've read on this and other forums which put Guam in a positive light. So don't worry. However, visiting and living can be 2 different things (for ex. how many people would use public transport when visiting? When visiting, there's no need to find out if there's a recycling program. Etc.).

And Spain was the best. Leaving is one of my few regrets in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,431 times
Hi Travlinhobo,

I lived on Guam in the late 80's so I'm sure at least some of my information is outdated, maybe all of it, but you don't seem to be getting any responses from people who live there, so here goes:

Public transportation outside of the tourist zone is virtually none existent. A few buses run routes between the villages, but very inconsistent. (this info may be totally out of date)

Food varieties are many, filipino, japanese, vietnamese, chinese, spanish, mexican, korean, and many, many american fast food restaurants. Of course, you also have the local "plate" lunch, much the same as in Hawaii.

Weather is much more humid than Hawaii. And I can give you the local forecast without even looking at a weather map, today will be: highs in the upper 80's to low 90's, lows with be high 70's to mid 80's with a chance of rain. Same for tomorrow and the next day, the day after that, well you get the picture. It varies a little due to whether it's the dry or wet season, whether there is a typhoon nearby, extreme low pressure or such, but mostly the same year round. Water temp is 82-86 year round. Surfing can be good if there is a storm front nearby. In Hawaii, you at least have a semblance of difference between winter and summer. Oh, and another thing, many, many flies. But I can't remember any mosquitos. I don't remember anyone getting malaria on island or even worrying about mosquitos.

The local people are very friendly as long as you don't lord over them with how being from the States is so much better. It's probably best not to venture into a Palauan bar by yourself in the night if you are a haole.

Don't say "I'm going back to the U.S." Guam is part of the U.S. and they are very proud of that. You can say you are going to the mainland or the States.

Shopping is great due to the huge number of Japanese tourists. And Guam is outside the U.S. customs zone so many imported items are cheaper. When I lived there, there was no sales tax. And residents used the same forms for the IRS as federal, but they go to Guam gov. instead of the federal gov.

Food prices are generally higher for items which have to be shipped in. Fresh produce was extremely high as it has to come in via refrigerator ships. Frozen not quite as high. But remember, virtually every type of food outside of seafood has to be shipped in. Mangos are mostly picked green for pickled green mango, so even ripe mangos are shipped in from elsewhere. Rice is subsidized so is quite cheap. Reef fish very cheap.

I have no idea about a culinary school on Guam, but the Univ. of Guam's marine biology major is highly thought of.

Buying a used car is easy on Guam due to the number of military people rotating in and out. Selling a used car is just as easy.

Housing can be expensive, but probably no more than Hawaii.

Lastly, most of the business on Guam is either tourist oriented or government work. When I was there, GovGuam had a 20-year full retirement setup, so many Guam people were in the late 30's or early 40's and getting full retirement from the government. That had set up a huge problem of funding for the future at that time. I don't know if that has be resolved or not.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM

200 posts, read 482,694 times
Thanks John. Yes, probably dated, but gives good insight. It's interesting that you say the Guamanians (or is it Guamans??) are proud to say their part of the U.S. I think it's the opposite over in Puerto Rico. I was thinking, until this post, that like the rest of the countries in the South Seas, Guam was a fruit growing state. But I guess not. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
I was thinking, until this post, that like the rest of the countries in the South Seas, Guam was a fruit growing state. But I guess not. Thanks again.
You have to remember that Guam is only 212 square miles, approximately 8 by 30 miles and a good third of that is owned by the U.S. Gov. for military bases. Much of what is left, is mountainous (well, hilly anyway!). Not much area for fruit growing. As I mentioned, there is quite a bit of mango growing, but the locals love pickled green mango (tasty, but an acquired taste).

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Food prices are generally higher for items which have to be shipped in. Fresh produce was extremely high as it has to come in via refrigerator ships. Frozen not quite as high. But remember, virtually every type of food outside of seafood has to be shipped in. Mangos are mostly picked green for pickled green mango, so even ripe mangos are shipped in from elsewhere. Rice is subsidized so is quite cheap. Reef fish very cheap.
This is what I remember most from previous posts about Guam, that the food quality is low and the prices are high. Virtually nothing is grown in Guam except those mangoes. Spam is the most common meat. Guam is the largest per capita consumer of Spam in the world.

All this produces tremendous cognitive dissonance for me when considering the concept of a culinary school in Guam.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't say that all food quality is low in Guam. As you might imagine, the open water fish is extremely fresh and clean. And I truly love the "local" plate, even though it is horribly high in starch and calories. Beef is not so good. I used to get local ground beef from Tinian sold in the local markets and if you didn't use it that day, it was pretty much no good. However, the frozen beef coming in from Australia and New Zealand is pretty good, just a lot more expensive. Again, the fresh veggies are pretty good, just expensive.

Absolutely right about Spam though. The local stores used to use Spam as a loss leader, selling it by the case. Don't know if they still do that, but I'm betting they do.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
When I think of Guam, I think of brown tree snakes.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Default Niether

As for Guam when I was there I didn't experince alot of hate from locals. You're more likely to get a job there. Tons of restaurants are in Tumon. But its true you need yo learn spme japanese since it its a hot spot for Japanese tourists. I like the culture in Guam. If you go get into diving its cheap there and amazing.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-07-2012 at 06:49 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM

60 posts, read 245,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've known a lot of people who had to travel to Guam for work over the years.

They were never happy about it.
This has been my experience. I was not a fan of Guam.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM

145 posts, read 490,760 times
The people of Guam are amazingly friendly and kind(much like the people of Hawai'i). I love Guam! I always(generally) get along with people from other islands, many from So. Cal, Oregon, Washington, I get along great with many in the south as well. The only people I have found very difficult are in the New Jersey/New York region(no offense to anyone). I love New York, but it's a little too rough around the edges for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii