Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM

35 posts, read 73,607 times

Advertisements

I am alien resident at the koment and gettting green card about next year. So i dont think that might be a problem

Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Non-resident tuition in Hawaii can be expensive, perhaps you could figure out a way to move to Hawaii and take some general classes at one of the community colleges here and then after you've lived in Hawaii a year and can get the resident tuition rate, then you can transfer to the University of Hawaii. Should the living expenses on Oahu be too expensive, there are branches of the University of Hawaii as well as several community colleges on the Big Island. At sixteen, though, you still have several years to get it all figured out but it's always good to start early.
Thank you , what do you mean by resident rate? Do you mean having the american residency? Because at that time i will have a green card. And if it is what you mean , it means i would be able to pay the same tuition?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastagol View Post
Thank you , what do you mean by resident rate? Do you mean having the american residency?
No, it means residency in the state. University of Hawai'i, like most state universities, charges different tuition rates depending on whether you are a legal resident of the state or not. And eligibility typically means that you and your parents have lived in the state (and thus paid taxes) for at least a full year before you start school.

Here's a current tuition schedule for all the various schools in the U of H system. Looking across the top line, the tuition for a regular semester, full time at U of H Manoa is $4,332; the tuition for a non-resident is $12,456.

Tuition schedule for the 10-campuses of the University of Hawaii System

Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, it means residency in the state. University of Hawai'i, like most state universities, charges different tuition rates depending on whether you are a legal resident of the state or not. And eligibility typically means that you and your parents have lived in the state (and thus paid taxes) for at least a full year before you start school.

Here's a current tuition schedule for all the various schools in the U of H system. Looking across the top line, the tuition for a regular semester, full time at U of H Manoa is $4,332; the tuition for a non-resident is $12,456.

Tuition schedule for the 10-campuses of the University of Hawaii System
ooh thank you , i wasnt sue about that. well it gets me thinking. maybe i will try living a full year before trying to get into the college. the thing is if i don't get accepted. that would be ... sad.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
ooh thank you , i wasnt sue about that. well it gets me thinking. maybe i will try living a full year before trying to get into the college. the thing is if i don't get accepted. that would be ... sad.
look dude, i know you're only 16, but u need learn the facts and costs associatsed with attending university in the US as an "international student".... or even as a "resident with a green card"

First of all-- International students are subject to much higher tuition rates...across the US this is standard, no matter what state. It's called "non-resident tuition"....always much more expensive.

Example: A resident of California will not qualify for "in-state" tuition at a Hawaiin college or university...because they are residents of California. . and vice versa for Hawaiin residents who want to come to the mainland to attend university....they will pay more because they are "out-of-state students" ..

Now u mentioned you're getting a green card. Great! What state will you be a resident of?
If it's any state other than Hawaii....BAM right off the bat you're gonna pay double the tuition because u are a non-resident of Hawaii... Thats how it is with public universities funded by the state in the US...

Also, u cant just live in Hawaii for 1 year and expect "in state" tuition. The state of Hawaii will consider you a "dependent"....of mom and dad...and will therefore look to see where Mom and dad live.... If mom and dad are not residents of Hawaii u will NEVER qualify for in-state tuition because u are not considered "independent".... The state of Hawaii consideres students independent when they reach the age of 24... Meaning Hawaii will look at ur parent's residency for tuition purposes until u are 24 or older.... aka u gonna have to live in Hawaii for many many years before u can qualify for in-state tuition. .

Now, if mom and dad decide to move to Hawaii now.... and establish residency now... You could technically qualify for in-state tuition because mom and dad are residents of Hawaii.... get it???

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM

ok i see.. no they won't move there . this is only my dream xd. well actually compared to some colleges U of H is not that bad in price, i know still it is an 80,000$ for out of state, but my parents will probably pay a part of it, i don't know to how much though, and i will try to get financial aid. i don't really know how all of this work's yet. but do you know how much i can expect from a financial aid?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
but do you know how much i can expect from a financial aid?
That's very complicated, and it depends on your family's financial situation.

I'm not sure where you got the $80,000 figure, because if you look across to the right, the tuition is going up each year, and for 2014-15 U of H Manoa full time non-resident tuition will be $14,316 per semester, which would be $114,528 for 4 years if the tuition rate did not rise, but of course it will rise. And that's just for tuition. Add another, say, $80,000 for rent and food and other expenses over those 4 years, and a part-time unskilled job at $8 or $9 an hour is just not going to make much of a dent in it.

You really need to talk to your school's academic counselor about this. That's what they do, advise students about the details of a college education.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-19-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM

yes i have talked to my counselor today. but i don't think she got what i was trying to say , i will schedule something with her. all she told me was. oh ! really? that's interesting! but she didn't help me into explaining and everything. but i am pretty determined. let say that my step dad make 100,000 salary. my mom can't work. does my dad salary includes since he live in Canada? if yes my dad makes about 100,000 too. how much can i expect if this is answerable , again? Next year i will be junior. and i will try to early admission. because, well i am very good at school, all my grades are more than 80, and 3 of them are in 90s and i have 2 100's and i don't even study or concentrate more than i need, so. i am also part of the cross country team of my school. next year i will attempt for varsity. i am also part of friends of Rachel club. i don't know if you know what it is but, basically we start chains of kindness through the school, and we are finding ideas/events/activities to stop bullying in our school. Rachel was the first girl to get killed in columbine's shooting, and her mission/code of life was to help people that are being bullied. also i will concentrate and study as much as i can to have much higher grades. another good thing is that i also speak french. and i will work serious jobs. you know just giving me more chances to get accepted. one of Rachel's challenges/goals was DREAM BIG which is the one i live the most. she is kind of inspiration to me. with all that do you think i could get accepted?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
We are not academic counselors that have access to your educational records. We are not the admittance staff of the UH system and do not have access how you have (or haven't) met admission requirements. We are not staff of the financial aide office with your financial records.

There is not much more we can tell you other than to consult with your school guidance/academic counselor, and to consult with your parents, and to check out the UH website for enrollment and tuition information.

Dreaming big is different from making things happen. You'll need to take steps to make your dream come true, besides this website that is not a college entrance information branch of the UH system.

Good luck, dream big, and get in contact with the decision makers.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,883 times
Quote:
Next year i will be junior. and i will try to early admission. because, well i am very good at school, all my grades are more than 80, and 3 of them are in 90s and i have 2 100's and i don't even study or concentrate more than i need, so. i am also part of the cross country team of my school. next year i will attempt for varsity. i am also part of friends of Rachel club. i don't know if you know what it is but, basically we start chains of kindness through the school, and we are finding ideas/events/activities to stop bullying in our school. Rachel was the first girl to get killed in columbine's shooting, and her mission/code of life was to help people that are being bullied. also i will concentrate and study as much as i can to have much higher grades. another good thing is that i also speak french. and i will work serious jobs. you know just giving me more chances to get accepted. one of Rachel's challenges/goals was DREAM BIG which is the one i live the most. she is kind of inspiration to me. with all that do you think i could get accepted?
I swore that I would not post on this threat...but...I am weak...I admitt it! I love this thread...this is just pure entertainment...keep on responding boys (please talk a little about how he "don't even study or concentrate")...I love it!!

VanHa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: