Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,432 times

Advertisements

Man, this is all so confusing, you obviously understand your own abreviations.

I'm a Paramedic in London, UK. I was considering maybe transferring abroad, but still none the wiser about the regulations of the job over there,

We work out of stations, not hospitals. The LAS (London Ambulance Service) deal with Accident and Emergency, the LFB (london fire brigade) deal purely with fire calls, rescue etc but are not clinical at all, and the Metropolitan Police are justice and law, obviously.

our starting wage is 21k + inner london waiting (which is payment for commuting purposes and something called the congestion zone, where cars are charged to drive through the centre, therefore we are paid an extra 6k) +25% unsocial allowance (4k) my total salary works out as just about £31,500.00 which is the equivalent to $50.159.23 (around that)

I did my training through university, and have a foundation degree in Paramedic science.

In london Emergency Medical Technicians have a grading, (1, 2, 3 and 4) and then Paramedic is the lead clinician. We can Intubate, perform Needle cricothyroidotomy's, Needle thoracentesis, External Jugalar Vein cannulation, Itraosseous Drilling, we can make autonomous decision to thrombolise an MI without faxing Electrocardiograms (ECG, i know you guys called them EKG's) to hospitals.

Drugs we carry are

*Atropine, Aspirin, *Amiodarone, Adrenaline 1:1000 *1:10000, *Benzylpenicillin, *Chlorophenamine, *Clopidogrel, *Diazepam and *Diazemuls, Dextrose 40% gel, Entonox, *Furosemide, Glucagon, *Glucose 10%, GTN, Hydrocortisone, Ibuprofen, Ipratropium Bromide, *Lidocaine, *Metoclopramide, *Morphine (oral and IV), Naloxone Hydrochloride, O2, Paracetamol, Salbutamol, *Sodium Chloride, *Syntometrine, *Reteplase, *Tenecteplase, *Heparin.

(the ones with stars are Paramedic drugs only)

we work 12 hour shifts, rotating.
We receive about 4500 calls a day.
there is normally a paramedic with an EMT, although EMT's are permitted to attend emergency calls aslong as atleast one is graded 3 and above.

Is the job out there much different???

Im considering a change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
I'm no expert, but I do have a friend who has lived in Keau'u 25 years and became an EMT as a second career 15 years ago. There just wasn't enough work here in his original field of mine safety.

I know he had to go to Oahu for training, then he worked steady for the Hawai'i County Fire Dept, and he just retired. I'll ask him if he can contribute anything.

Unfortunately I was just reminded of what an essential service this is, when the traffic up Highway 11 from Hilo was completely halted for a half an hour at about the 18 mile marker. Police, fire rescue, and paramedics were out in force attending to a horrendous twisted metal crash of two pickups, literally out in the middle of nowhere.

God bless our public safety people.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Could someone put a big, big sticky at the top of this forum (and others) reminding people that you have to have PERMISSION TO WORK in the US before "considering a change" ?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,432 times
what would determine permission to work?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budwiserfrog View Post
what would determine permission to work?
If you are not a US citizen, you need a Visa and a work permit from the federal government.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
USCIS - Working in the United States

Old 05-12-2016, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,682 times
I see no posts on this topic in a while and I'm looking for some info. I'm a NYC paramedic and I hold NREMTP as well. I'm looking to move out to Honolulu and I'm just curious what the process is currently like and if there's jobs in the private transport sector that I can work while waiting for the city ? How long is the process and is it difficult to get on as far as competition and requirements?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-13-2016, 02:32 AM

74 posts, read 333,829 times
If you are interested in working in EMS in the state of Hawai'i, you first need to find out if your training program certification meets equivalency in order to obtain a license to practice here.

Start with the Board of Medical Examiner's website:

Professional & Vocational Licensing | Application Forms & Publications

Professional & Vocational Licensing | Medical and Osteopathy FAQ’s

The only private EMS employer in HI is American Medical Response. There are jobs to be had working ground ambulance on Oahu and the Big Island of Hawai'i. They do interfacility transports and 911 backup on both these islands.

C&C of Honolulu's EMS Division is constantly recruiting for paramedics, but the performance expectations are very high and a fair number of paramedics from out of state have had difficulty meeting that performance bar. Kapi'olani Community College's EMS Dept. (808-734-9288/9289) has a ride-along program that a non-City-employed EMT or paramedic can utilize to see how calls are run here. You would have to apply to as a university student and pay tuition fees per credit hour.

I can't give you any estimate on how long the process will take as each person's degree of training and experience and what needs to be done to meet equivalency is different.

Do a search on this forum using terms such as "paramedic", "EMT", and "EMS". There's quite a few threads that can give you more information on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii