Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

The 8 am update showed the winds dropping to 40 mph, the storm center about 90 miles NE of Hilo, and the track now headed directly towards Maui.

IOW, it's passing by the Big Island.

8am Update: Flossie continues to weaken, winds down to 40 mph - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Last edited by OpenD; 07-29-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
I did jack.

This is not this.

Flossie 2007 on a similar track didn't give us a drop of rain an no wind either.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Well, there's a lot of rain following Flossie, we're not entirely out of the woods yet, but other than drenching rain, it doesn't look like much for the Big Island. Which is typical. Last big storm which was supposed to track right into us veered off as well. I think our mountain is tall enough to scare storms away.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM

The storm is now projected to hit Maui about 2, and Oahu about 6, with the peak about 9 pm.

Honolulu Mayor Caldwell just announced all the emergency shelters will open at 3 pm for those who wish to take advantage of that safe refuge before the storm arrives.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM

5 pm Just saw a bulletin from the Star-Advertiser that the Honolulu PD has closed the Lilelike Highway Kailua-bound because of six (6) separate accidents from just before the Wilson tunnel to about a mile and a half on the other side.

Winds have dropped on the Big Island. Hilo is down to about 8mph. A Red Cross volunteer at Waimea says it has been a pretty ordinary day, except the wind is blowing west to east. Puna has had power outtages, some restorals, but still thousands without power due to so many fallen trees. But more rain is expected.

Winds are up to 15mph at Kapalua, as the storm heads for Oahu.

Last edited by OpenD; 07-29-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
5 pm Just saw a bulletin from the Star-Advertiser that the Honolulu PD has closed the Lilelike Highway Kailua-bound because of six (6) separate accidents from just before the Wilson tunnel to about a mile and a half on the other side.
Unrelated to the storm as it isn't here yet. It's 5:22 and no wind - no rain at the airport - which is near the likelike highway.

The tunnel was closed due to the accident at 4pm, reopened 25 minutes later - then closed again from another accident.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Unrelated to the storm as it isn't here yet.
?? The po-po are blaming those and several other crashes that occurred on wet, slick roads.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=217496541

In any case... that big lightning storm caused some damage over in JJ's direction.

Quote:
Molokai, vast areas of Maui without power
Molokai is without power after lightning struck the island's power plant at about 7:40 p.m.

Maui Electric officials were not immediately sure how long it would take to get power restored.

The lightning strike was part of a severe line of thunderstorms from Tropical Depression Flossie that ripped across Maui County this evening.

There are also widespread outages on the island of Maui, including in Upper Olinda, from Wailuku to Kahakuloa, from Paia to Kuau, from Huelo to Hana, and along most of the East Maui coast.

Maui Electric officials had no estimate on when power would be restored in those areas or on how many customers were affected.

They said power was not likely to be restored overnight and could take several days in some areas. Molokai, vast areas of Maui without power - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Last edited by OpenD; 07-30-2013 at 01:32 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Today, Waikoloa/West Hawaii, HOT AND SUNNY AND SLIGHT BREEZES and humid! "Back to normal", except for the extra high humidity due to the wet ground and sunny day.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Bought three used books that looked interesting. Cleaned, thoroughly rinsed and filled the bathtub with water. Unpacked
and deployed the candles. Asked neighbor for matches. Bought two bottles of wine on special at Safeway. Fluffed up the cushions on the couch.

My wife came home, saw the candles and wine, and promptly asked what I had screwed up. I ended up washing the family mutt in the tub, and last seen, the love of my life was on that rather comfortable couch, glass of wine in one hand and used book in the other.

Life in Hawai'i...it's paradise!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
Oh, I forgot to add, I had about thirty phone calls from relations and acquaintances
residing or squatting on one island or another that went more or less as follows:

Me: Hello
Caller: Hey, it's -----
Me: Oh, thanks for calling. How's your family?
Caller: Great! My niece's daughter first birthday is next month
Me: Wonderful. We'll come over. Where can we stay?
Caller: Auntie So and So would likely want you to you stay at her place.

Note: OMG, Auntie S&S is an ancient gossip. The term "gossip" in Hawai'i
is demurely referred to as "Talk Story". Don't be persuaded
that there is some mystical, romantic, conversational discourse in
Hawaiian culture that is embodied by the term. For the most part,
it is everyday gossip. Most people,l regardless of their stature,
feed on it.

Me: Ok. Looking forward to it. Thanks

Caller: So how's the weather there?

Me. Okay. You?

Caller: We're OK. Just checking

Me. Thanks! I appreciate you worrying about us. Let' stay in touch.

The Caller lives about a mile from our place. In Hawaii that means nothing. The storm was never really the
issue.

It's paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii