Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 AM

28 posts, read 46,001 times

Advertisements

Thank you. I was thinking about that as well, Particularly portland. As I've read a lot of threads saying they love it. However, I do like the warmer temps, beach and getting kinda done with the cold and snow. So, I've got a lot more researching to do. Thank you again for your feedback. I really do appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks.
I've been following job postings for social workers in my field for a while and they seem to hover around 45-50k.
As for the info. @ specific housing costs and the reality of finding something affordable and accept my dogs, thank you, I really needed this specific info. I don't have anyone who'll be able to take care of them if I were to try to go there first and send for them later. And we'd also miss them terribly, but thank you again. Mahalo everyone.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 AM

198 posts, read 387,672 times
I just would like to reiterate a few things:

I own property on Kauai and I do not rent to pets. It is a problem. Everything is expensive in Hawaii including new carpets (pet do doos) wood flooring (pet scratching), etc. That is why it is too much of a risk to rent to pet owners, even with increased rents.

Additionally have you ever been on Maui when they are burning cane? It smells just like burning sour dirty socks. Not good for you respiratory problems. Same for the VOG on BI.

Oahu is probably your best bet, but very expensive to rent.

Kauai would be fine for your respiratory problems, but not a lot of jobs there.

I wish you the best.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,407,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Did you ever consider the Pacific Northwest? If you can handle the weather (I actually love the weather up there) you might like it. I went to college there and two of my siblings used to live there and they both liked it. People are fairly nice, lots of outdoor stuff to do, my allergies, which are the same as yours, were much better when I was living there, lower cost of living than Hawaii and nice natural scenery. The one deal breaker would be if you like to go swimming at the beach and hate the cold. A lot of people originally from Hawaii have move to the Seattle or Portland area and like it. I know at first glance it may seem a lot different from Hawaii but just something you might want to consider.
I live in the PNW and second this. Hawaii wins when it comes to climate and an ocean that's warm enough to swim in. The PNW wins when it comes to lower cost of living, the ability to get in a car and drive for hundreds of miles, and (in Portland and Seattle) a wider range of cultures. Both places are equally beautiful. People are friendlier in the PNW than in the urban Northeast, but they tend to be more reserved and private than in Hawaii. My allergies are much better than they were during the many years I lived in Atlanta, although there are a few weeks each year when they act up. All in all, I like the PNW and Hawaii equally. My wife and I want to retire in Hawaii, because she's from there and misses it, but we'll only do it if we don't have to suffer a significant drop in our (modest) lifestyle.

If you want warmer weather and/or an ocean you can swim in, you should check out various places in the South, where your dollars will go farther than in Hawaii or NY. I liked Asheville, NC; Charlottesville, VA; Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA; and various places in Florida. Many places in Texas have a good reputation. The biggest drawback for me is the summer heat and humidity. If you like tall mountains, Colorado is supposed to be a great place to live.

Although Hawaii often seems like the ideal place to live, and it is indeed the best place for some people, I'm sure you can find what you're looking for in other areas of this country, and not have to make as many compromises as Hawaii would entail. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM

All very good information and places to consider. Matter of fact these exact places are on my list to explore. Pros and cons to them all for consideration. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and give good feedback. I truly appreciate it. Best wishes to you all who've been very informative.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM

834 posts, read 1,220,942 times
Suzie, it sounds that you made mostly good decisions in your life and that you have your act together. Especially when being able to say: "I do have some significant savings to pay for the move to (and back if needed)"

I would advice to go ahead and try Hawai'i. There will be set backs but they would also be when moving anywhere else. Be flexible in where exactly you want to live initially and what job to get at the time you arrive.

The issue with the dogs I would address by looking at a temporary shelter you can visit daily. Once you are settled, you can look for rentals allowing dogs.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,078,945 times
What about Hilo area? The VOG is not problematic there [VOG is on the Kona side], there's a university [U of H-Hilo] and a population/region to sustain clinical social worker positions in either healthcare or education. It's the west side of the island, and the BI can def. be cold. Weather extremes, depending on where on the island you live, are common. Hilo is damp and can be chilly [not cold of course like the NE, but just not always balmy]. Someone mentioned cane burning in Maui; the sugar plantation on the BI closed awhile back, so I don't think the Hilo side has significant allergy issues-though mold and mildew may be a factor to content with in that regard.

OP may be interested in living somewhere between Hilo and Volcano; there are affordable communities to live in just outside Hilo, about a zillion health food stores [I am exaggerating of course, but it's prolific], the famous Hilo Farmer's Market and so many smaller ones, etc.

I would research charter schools as well as the school districts in the Hilo area [google], and check out the university, too-even if you don't find job listings there, you might find some networking ideas.
For Reynaud's, a family member who was diagnosed, was given new mexico or AZ as suggestions, ,due to the dry climate [this person was also living in the NE at the time]. New Mexico, in some ways the polar opposite of HI, is also a beautiful, healing place with inspirational scenery,plenty of markets and health food options, moderate climate in some areas, and pretty nice people, too!
Best of luck to you; it sounds like your determination and gut instinct will get you far.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:24 AM

163 posts, read 269,581 times
Hi, Suzie. I hope you're still checking the forum. I'm getting my MSW here in Hawaii and also plan on being a LCSW when I'm done. I would would love to chat via PM, especially about some of your personal reasons for moving since many of them are similar to mine. I also have health issues and am willing to discuss my doctor's experience privately.

In general, I want to say that Oahu is a good place for a LCSW because the feds is always looking for them to work with soldiers and their families. The salaries are higher and the benefits are much better than what the state of HI offers. Have you taken a look at USAJobs? Right now they are hiring LCSWs starting at 70k and going up to 90k. There is also a job up for someone with a MSW and they are paying a minimum of 58k with possible relo.

I don't know how it works in terms of hiring people who are not currently living in Hawaii. I have seen both professional and customer service type job advertisements specifically saying they want someone that's already lives on Oahu. Even some of the federal job openings clearly state you must live on a particular island to be considered. Maybe some of them would be willing to interview you via Skype or phone, but I can see how it'd be troublesome to go through all that if there are applicants who are local and can just come in a day or two after being called. A lot of clinics here have direct relationships with UH and/or HPU and often reach out directly to their recent grads and professional alums to fill spots before openly advertising. I always see jobs in the alum/current student section that are not advertised anywhere else. I find Hawaii can be very serious about keeping things as local as possible - both professionally and socially. Because of the need for people with a minimum of a MSW is so high, you might be able to get hired before coming, but I still think your chances of getting interviews will jump exponentially if you're living here.

As far as where you work in terms of where you live, no one can answer that. 30 minutes is doable depending on where you work! For instance, if you end up working for the military, you can get easily a reasonable place 10 minutes away from your job due to the popularity apartments that surround places like Schofield and Hickam.

As for the cost of living, yes, I find it's high in Oahu, but it's more doable than some people imply. When I see these really high numbers, I kind of scratch my head. The median household income in Hawaii is 67k. I don't see how a single professional making 45k is going to be "bare bones" if she knows how to manage her money properly (which you probably do). We both come from expensive areas (I'm from D.C.), so it's not like we don't know what it's like to deal with the high cost of living. It's clear by your numbers that you're used to it, so Hawaii will not be a shock for you. Also, we both come from areas that are very fast-paced and aggressive. People say Oahu is very busy, but you never know what they are comparing it to. I have family and friends in NYC (Manhattan and Queens), and have been visiting them for almost 20 years. To compare Honolulu to places like D.C. and NYC in terms of pace, overpopulation, and aggression is laughable. I will say that the traffic on Honolulu is pretty bad, but I still prefer to be in a traffic jam in stunning Hawaii than the cement jungle from which I came.

I hope it all works out for you. I love living in Hawaii so far and am glad I made the trek! Sorry about my grammar and other mistakes. I had a long day but got excited when I saw your post. Had to respond before sleeping! Aloha!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,493,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I don't know how it works in terms of hiring people who are not currently living in Hawaii. I have seen both professional and customer service type job advertisements specifically saying they want someone that's already lives on Oahu. Even some of the federal job openings clearly state you must live on a particular island to be considered.
This comes up over and over on this forum... there's a big practical reason that people who are hiring for jobs in Hawai'i are looking for locals... because experience has shown that a high percentage of people who are hired from the mainland just don't work out.

They accept the job, then when they are confronted by all it will take to make the move they get overwhelmed and back out of the deal. Worse, they just don't show up when they are supposed to. Or they come, they're miserable, and 6 months later they are gone. Or they come, and it's too tough, and in a year they are gone. Or they come, and life in Hawai'i is not all they thought, and in two years they are gone.

Then the ones that aren't holding a garage sale after 2 years, they're more likely to stick around.

But hiring managers really want to hire people they know will stick around, so they very much prefer qualified locals, if they can find them.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM

163 posts, read 269,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This comes up over and over on this forum... there's a big practical reason that people who are hiring for jobs in Hawai'i are looking for locals... because experience has shown that a high percentage of people who are hired from the mainland just don't work out.
Yeah, I know that. But Suzie is a LSCW and there is a shortage of people with that credential all over the country. As you can see with the advertisements on USAJobs, they just want social workers with a clinical license to apply regardless of the applicant's current location. The government is cheap, so to see a relocation package being offered is a sign that they are desperate. She is not a dime a dozen like many of us are, so she's in a different place in term of being able to get a job before actually living here. That's a huge reason why I am on the clinical track. It's much easier to get a well paying job in a desirable location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii