Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM

28 posts, read 45,995 times

Advertisements

I'm a licensed clinical and school social worker seriously looking into moving to Hawaii. Yes, I got the fever many years ago when I went there on vacation. I do know that vacation isn't the same as living there. I know we do things on vacation that normally don't do(at least for me-such as eating almost every meal, spending lots of money on lots of activities and shopping). I've been reading forum posts/threads for many hours, days, etc. and have been gathering a lot of good info. But now need more advice/feedback specifically geared towards my situation. I do plan on going back to Hawaii for interviews and doing more intensive searching, comparisons etc.
I have lived in different states and a different country before. I have travelled to a number of other countries and enjoy exploring native/local cultures with an open mind. I'm not one of those tourists who look down upon others cultures or think how bad they are. It's the one thing about travel that I love. I have a disdain for arrogant tourists who complain about the people and cultures they are traveling to. I'm interested in living in Hawaii for a number of reasons (Aloha spirit, friendly people, beautiful place, healthier lifestyle-outdoors, farmers markets-are pesticides used or organic, slower pace, etc.) A major consideration is for me to get out of the rat race. I live in the downstate region of NY ( for those who dont know what that is- NYC eastward which includes the five boroughs and long island) in which the people can be very verbally and physically insulting, rude, callous, and aggressive, sometimes violent, people can be very selfish and demanding, litigation is very high (people are often looking to sue for anything and everything looking for a payout or control over others, see aggression), and yes they want to keep up with the Joneses. Although I currently own and have my home up for sale (no profit being made hear the housing market hasn't risen enough to cover what we owe), rent here has been easily 1k or more for a studio or one BR, gas is like $3.90 now, cable/Internet/phone service combo is @ $185, electricity is like $225/month, not including heating costs (oil heat and hot water) which can be upward of $400-500/month during the cold months (@5 months of the year depending upon the weather), car insurance can range between $175-200 month, etc. I have very good credit and long standing references for work and have been doing this for many years.
I'm looking for a less stressful and healthy life. I have chronic allergies living in mid-north east coast (pollens, weeds, mold, dust). It was greatly alleviated when on vacay in Maui. Went there with a sinus infection and on # of meds (Not antibiotics at that time) and it cleared up on its own and didn't need to use my allergy meds. while there. I also read someone's post that said people with allergy/sinus and Reynauds syndrome have done well In Maui. Well, that was my situation.

1-Is it too much to plan to survive on a salary of 45-50k on Hawaii? No, I don't have family already there and can't guarantee that the family member going with me will stay long term to contribute enough,so I can't expect that money being there. I'm single and not the type to look for a significant other so they can/will take care of me, and even if you do find someone there's no guarantee it'll last. I do have some significant savings to pay for the move to (and back if needed), but I want this to be for life.

2-Is it too much to plan that I'll find a job before I move there? (Again skilled professional clinical/school social worker who can work in healthcare or education) I don't plan to go Hawaii for interviews and explore more options while there.

3-Is it too much to plan that I'll be able to find a job that'll support me without needing to work multiple jobs? (hence taking away from the quality of life for me).

4- Is it too much to think that I'll find affordable housing that'll accept 2 dogs? (1big 1small-well behaved, not messy or destructive, or bark a lot). My dogs are important to me and vice versa.

5-Will I be able to find a good general or internal medicine physician to manage regular med. appointments? Someone told me that the BI is really hurting for available doctors and the good ones are back up and more often than not closed to additional patients.

6-Is it too much to expect affordable living within a 30 minute commute to/from work? Someone told me not in Oahu. I'm not someone who leaves my family pets at home for 10hr stints unless its an emergency. It's not fair to them, their lives are completely wrapped @ ours.

So, I know this is long, but I read a number of members posts that they need more info. to consider if we want to get more accurate advise and feedback. I hope this helps and that you help me figure this out in a thorough manner. Mahalo to all who take the time to read and respond, and if it helps others in the process that even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM

32 posts, read 61,755 times
You should read the relocation threads already posted. There is a wealth of information here. Regular posters will be reluctant to repeat themselves. Do a little digging, and your questions will be answered. That is what I did. My situation is different than yours, but I found answers to my questions without even asking. I could save you some time by just answering your questions straight out, but I think you will benefit more by hearing from several different people (who have already posted answers to these very questions). Happy hunting!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaLady27 View Post
You should read the relocation threads already posted. There is a wealth of information here. Regular posters will be reluctant to repeat themselves. Do a little digging, and your questions will be answered.
Yes, all of these questions have been asked before. But to give you a few answers to chew on while you are searching the archives...

Quote:
Although I currently own and have my home up for sale (no profit being made hear the housing market hasn't risen enough to cover what we owe), rent here has been easily 1k or more for a studio or one BR, gas is like $3.90 now, cable/Internet/phone service combo is @ $185, electricity is like $225/month, not including heating costs (oil heat and hot water) which can be upward of $400-500/month during the cold months (@5 months of the year depending upon the weather),
Pretty much everything you mentioned here will be more expensive in Hawai'i, except possibly for apartment rentals on the Big Island, and there's little to no need for winter heat. But gasoline is more like $4.25 - $4.50 now, electricity costs twice as much as where you are now, so if you run the A/C a lot, for example to deal with vog in Kona it adds up quickly. Figure that your cost of living in Hawai'i won't go down, but your standard of living will.

Quote:
I have chronic allergies living in mid-north east coast (pollens, weeds, mold, dust). It was greatly alleviated when on vacay in Maui. Went there with a sinus infection and on # of meds (Not antibiotics at that time) and it cleared up on its own and didn't need to use my allergy meds. while there.
That would be great if it proves true. But many others report their allergies getting worse over time in Hawai'i. If so, what will be your Plan B?

Quote:
2-Is it too much to plan that I'll find a job before I move there? (Again skilled professional clinical/school social worker who can work in healthcare or education) I don't plan to go Hawaii for interviews and explore more options while there.
It's possible, but quite difficult, based on previous poster's comments.

Quote:
4- Is it too much to think that I'll find affordable housing that'll accept 2 dogs? (1big 1small-well behaved, not messy or destructive, or bark a lot). My dogs are important to me and vice versa.
There have been many previous threads on this. Finding a rental with one small dog is difficult. With two dogs? More difficult. With a large dog? Even more so. Sorry, this is just not a great state to move to if you have pets.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 PM

I have and thank you. I know that the COL index says I could make in Hawaii for 50k, but wanted the insiders outlook, advice, tips. I see it's going to be a challenge to find affordable housing with 2 dogs-1big 1small. (that may end up being a deal breaker, because I won't give them up and dont believe in letting them stay home alone for more than 10hrs. a day just for me to bless there existence when I get home for a short period of time). how do they on average charge for a pet accepting safe quality 2bedroom rental apt. in Kihei? Will I be able to find good doctor who's still accepting patients and what is it like to get an appointment? Anyone work as a social worker in the school system? Or hospital/medical systems? D you like it? Is it worth it? How are the commutes from various locations with affordable housing? Will I be able to find a job in my field before moving out there? Of course I'll have to interview and research more while there before moving.
Do I have to worry about people breaking into my car or apartment? Is it safe to walk at night? I know that it can't be generalized for all of an island, but feedback from specific locations is helpful.

Anybody make the move with similar situation? How did it go? Where did you go? Would you do it again?
I'm hearing so much negative that what seemed more certain is becoming seriously more uncertain the more I read. Now I maybe a dreamer, but I'm also practical and logical. I'm not someone who's young enough or carefree enough to do the move for a year or 2 blow 50k in savings and doesn't care if I have to move back after digging myself a whole. Sad to think that the many things that i love about Hawaii and my personal and professional skills won't be enough to permanently live the rest of my life there.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I have reading and reading about this for while and they may have been answered but a lot of it is dated. so, i'm looking for more current info. AND anecdotal from those who have done it and tips/resources. and yes I'm still gathering as much info. as possible.

I'm thankful that you're being honest and saying that it'll be VERY difficult to find affordable housing that accepts 2dogs especially with 1big one. And you mentioned that people find that they develop problems with their immune systems over time and the VOG? Any more info. about that please. Which type of allergies get worse over time there? Any specific areas to avoid or steer toward? So, I believe you're saying that I may get rid of my chronic northern east coast allergies but trade off to VOG problems. I have read others say they've moved there with asthma and breathing or allergy issues and not be affected by the VOG. Again, I believe that also relates to where you live and how much VOG you get. But it is definitely worth considering.

As for the electricity bill. I read the average electric bill there runs b/w 200-250 there without running AC much. I live in a location where we only have one electric company too and they charge whatever they want. So, for my house averages anywhere between 200-250 a month. I figure a 2bedroom apartment would either be less or equal to running my house and we run the AC hear a large part of the summer due to humidity and temps. Gas has been up to @4.35-4.40 here over the last couple of years, so fill up is comparable. As for food, I plan to stick more to local armrest markets and steer away from using majority of processed foods (except peanut butter, butter, cheese).
How much does full coverage car insurance cost? Is it really unsafe to park your car at a beach or park? I hear they get more broken into than not.
Well, thank you again. I'll keep reading the archives while looking for current feedback. Mahalo

Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzieq_p View Post
I'm interested in living in Hawaii for a number of reasons (Aloha spirit, friendly people, beautiful place, healthier lifestyle-outdoors, farmers markets-are pesticides used or organic, slower pace, etc.)
Red flag #1 - One experiences the aloha spirit much more on vacation at the hotel - the ABC store - anywhere tourists are at. Hawaii uses more pesticides than any other state due to our location in the tropics. Slower pace - nah, not if you are a social worker in Hawaii. I'm not sure where you get that impression. You may work very long hours.

Quote:
Rent here has been easily 1k or more for a studio or one BR
We are all envious now

Quote:
I'm looking for a less stressful and healthy life.
You want stress, be a social worker in Hawaii.

Quote:
I have chronic allergies living in mid-north east coast (pollens, weeds, mold, dust). It was greatly alleviated when on vacay in Maui. Went there with a sinus infection and on # of meds (Not antibiotics at that time) and it cleared up on its own and didn't need to use my allergy meds. while there. I also read someone's post that said people with allergy/sinus and Reynauds syndrome have done well In Maui.
Wait until you experience cane burning or vog

Quote:
Is it too much to plan to survive on a salary of 45-50k on Hawaii?
Probably - since it comes up so much - try living on that where you are - actually, try to live on less than that for 6 months where you are since it is more expensive in Hawaii (unless Manhattan)

Quote:
but I want this to be for life.
The overwhelming majority wash out at year 2 (or less)

Quote:
Is it too much to plan that I'll find a job before I move there?
Unlikely you'll find something unless you are already in Hawaii - but it occasionally happens.

Quote:
Is it too much to plan that I'll be able to find a job that'll support me without needing to work multiple jobs?
Try living on 40K on where you are already at - that will help answer that question/

Quote:
Is it too much to think that I'll find affordable housing that'll accept 2 dogs? (1big 1small-well behaved, not messy or destructive, or bark a lot). My dogs are important to me and vice versa.
Probably - but you could get lucky

Quote:
Will I be able to find a good general or internal medicine physician to manage regular med. appointments?
I see this as the least of your issues.

Quote:
Is it too much to expect affordable living within a 30 minute commute to/from work? I'm not someone who leaves my family pets at home for 10hr stints unless its an emergency.
I wouldn't count on this at all

Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
Just to clarify. I remember what it was like to live on 45-50k yr. wasn't too long ago. And the easily 1k or higher rent for studio or 1br. wasn't a brag, more like lowest case scenario. The housing bust made it even harder to find places and much higher costs. And that doesn't include electricity, cable/Internet, or possibly oil.
But seems sadly that we wont be able to move to Hawaii because of the reality of finding a job before we move or immediately upon moving; finding a affordable place that accepts 2dogs let alone my 1 large breed dog being VERY VERY difficult; Very long commuting for me and my fam. member; possibly trading chronic allergies for eventual VOG difficulty and finding a good physician, etc. sad because as an Asian mixed race person, Hawaiians were much more friendly and welcoming than I a lot of other white majority places I've lived or visited. I'll just have to search for what I'm looking for somewhere on the mainland without the expectation of people like Hawaii.
Thank you again for your blunt feedback.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,415,363 times
It is highly unlikely that you will secure a job if you don't live here, but I meet people every day that were recruited for a specific job, then relocated here. Most of the ones I have met have been in the medical field.

$50K per year is going to mean a bit of a bare bones living condition. A decent 2 bedroom condo in Kona right now is going for $1200 to $1600 per month plus tax and utilities. Since you have 2 dogs, forget the condos - few allow dogs and none allow 2 dogs that I know of. So you will need a small house. They are scarce as hens' teeth presently so a 2 or 3 bedroom modest home will cost you $1600 and up. Plus tax and utilities. My daughter and her husband (with 3 cats and 1 daughter) are frantically trying to find something because they have to move by end of Sept. One son and his wife, and her son are paying $1800/mo for a 3 BR plus large den which is occupied by a roommate. Other son and his wife & 2 kids share a large house w/ her mother and younger sister for $2200/month.

Maui is much higher than Kona even. I just had a friend move over there and Ithink she's paying about $1800 for a nice 2 bedroom condo in Kihei.

We have the highest electric rate in the nation - about .44 to .46/kwh. (forget running the AC) Gas is $4.50/gallon. Everything is expensive here except what you can grow for yourself in the back yard.

Higher elevations have mold and mildew (everywhere has some) so your allergies might not like that, or the vog we have on the Big Island. It bothers me, but not my husband at all.

You might consider relocating first without your dogs until you have time to get established and find a place where you can have them. What breed is your larger dog? This will matter; some breeds are not allowed in many rental properties because of insurance issues.

Best wishes. You can make it happen but it's ain't easy!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
I don't think those numbers would work for Maui, but they might work in Hilo due to lower rents. However, you'd still have the two dog problem.

I'm wondering where the $45K - $50K annual number came from? Usually jobs in Hawaii - even the same job - will pay less than it's mainland counterpart. A lot of job seniority (for things such as teaching jobs) doesn't migrate with the worker, either. Which means senior teachers start out at the beginning again. If you can use $38K as an annual salary and make it work, then it would be an easy choice.

If it weren't for the dogs, you'd probably be able to make it work.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,542,281 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
Just to clarify. I remember what it was like to live on 45-50k yr. wasn't too long ago. And the easily 1k or higher rent for studio or 1br. wasn't a brag, more like lowest case scenario. The housing bust made it even harder to find places and much higher costs. And that doesn't include electricity, cable/Internet, or possibly oil.
But seems sadly that we wont be able to move to Hawaii because of the reality of finding a job before we move or immediately upon moving; finding a affordable place that accepts 2dogs let alone my 1 large breed dog being VERY VERY difficult; Very long commuting for me and my fam. member; possibly trading chronic allergies for eventual VOG difficulty and finding a good physician, etc. sad because as an Asian mixed race person, Hawaiians were much more friendly and welcoming than I a lot of other white majority places I've lived or visited. I'll just have to search for what I'm looking for somewhere on the mainland without the expectation of people like Hawaii.
Thank you again for your blunt feedback.
Did you ever consider the Pacific Northwest? If you can handle the weather (I actually love the weather up there) you might like it. I went to college there and two of my siblings used to live there and they both liked it. People are fairly nice, lots of outdoor stuff to do, my allergies, which are the same as yours, were much better when I was living there, lower cost of living than Hawaii and nice natural scenery. The one deal breaker would be if you like to go swimming at the beach and hate the cold. A lot of people originally from Hawaii have move to the Seattle or Portland area and like it. I know at first glance it may seem a lot different from Hawaii but just something you might want to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii