Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS1989 View Post

Though opposition seemed organized and fierce, I got the sense that it was their last gasp.
I got a good dose of that gasp driving by the capitol building last week. I refused to show support for the opposing side and got a nice "Well F**K You then!"

He could have at least tried to not fit the stereotype so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Why should anyone care who sleeps with whom? (allowing for age and willingness concerns, of course)

And for that matter, "sex" is a verb, this should be the "same gender" marriage bill.

So, now we can have all sorts of new marriage chapels popping up as a tourist destination? Anyone calculated how much this should increase the tourism numbers?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

170 posts, read 292,253 times
It's like deja vu for me. This law passed a few months ago in CA. Coming here I see it as the top story and passing again.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why should anyone care who sleeps with whom? (allowing for age and willingness concerns, of course)
Couldn't agree more.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
It's about time. With all the problems in world, that this should even take ANY time for discussion is just plain dumb.

Government does not need to concern itself with who sleeps with or who loves who. Equal rights. End of subject.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
This is a missed opportunity to address what marriage does, doesn't, does not anymore, or will mean under the new law for our society. Where are the philosophers, sociologists, historians, thinkers of the USA on that? I don't mean bloggers or journalists.

Addressing it as "civil right" vs "religious beliefs" is faulty. The faulty parts become apparent when looking at polygamy, incestuous relations, or single people. Some group in the future will come and claim 'civil rights', not the governments business, unfair taxation, visitation rights, inheritance, or similar reasons. Just to wait till this might happen will bring patchwork legislation as this piece certainly is.

With the change of classical marriage (rapid increase in divorces, pre-nuptials,etc) the door was opened by heterosexual couples to gay marriage--the LGBT community would have not fought for a typical pre-1960 marriage. But the current marriage model with multiple divorces, no social stigma for single parents, lip service when promising each other till death, etc is tough to defend. Which brings up the question what does 'marriage' actually mean for modern society? Economically and socially, less spiritually. Sanctioning 'Love' or being responsible for religious afterlife judgement is not the governments job. Raising the next generation, education, adultery, bigamy, reproduction, welfare, and much more feeds into what 'marriage' means. The worries about wedding cake makers and accommodation laws should really be on the back burner, but weren't.

I don't have an easy answer for all that. But the opportunity to have a bigger, deeper, philosophical discussion was missed. The moral acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle is the driving force of the LBGT community, not an actual pent up demand by gays to be married and redefine traditional families. The follow-up law suits to sort out borders and no-go zones with monetary goals will come for sure. Government, churches and religious groups WILL be sued by big law companies or the ACLU for violations of civil right interpretations.

I am not in any organized church myself and never was, but I don't underestimate the forces religious beliefs can mobilize. Fundamentalists, radicals will be created anew, regardless of what faith. No, religious folks won't do actual gay bashings. Criminals do. But the quiet sympathy towards it by many will be devastating enough for social peace. The louder the jubilation of the gays the more resentment will be created. The in-your-face attitude is causing aggressions. Especially when being faced with a lousy economy and ever widening gaps btw rich and poor. Add falling education levels and there's a witches brew cooking.

This piece of legislation was rushed and done with serious damage to the Hawaiian social fabric. Maybe a resurrection of the GOP in Hawaii will be the outcome, but some districts will change politicians for sure.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Before you know it Jungjohann will want the right to marry one of them cannibals!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 PM

30 posts, read 42,475 times
Ya it took them long enough to pass it. Now maybe they can now focus on some real issues.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Aloha

I never understood why it was such an issue? Well Hawaii was the 16th state of 50 to pass this. Which has been my opinion all along that Hawaii in alot of ways is ahead of the rest of the mainland.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 PM

30 posts, read 42,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha

I never understood why it was such an issue? Well Hawaii was the 16th state of 50 to pass this. Which has been my opinion all along that Hawaii in alot of ways is ahead of the rest of the mainland.
Hawaiian you have got to work on.your spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: